Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7091 7092 [7093] 7094 7095 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13006291 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106380 on: July 21, 2016, 11:35:04 pm »

Self-control is a finite resource.

Some folk are like "yeah it happens" other folk are all "nah man shit is nonsense" and the original researchers are like "shit brah, you did it wrong" when there was a massive study to test it. so yeah.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #106381 on: July 21, 2016, 11:39:33 pm »

Oh that thing. Okay, yeah, I know about that. Weird scenario, on the whole.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106382 on: July 22, 2016, 12:20:41 am »

Ego depletion sounds like it belongs in some shitty fantasy novel
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106383 on: July 22, 2016, 12:34:58 am »

So does your new username. Ha!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106384 on: July 22, 2016, 12:41:36 am »

Rekt
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #106385 on: July 22, 2016, 12:45:10 am »

It could be a Dune equivalent of a KKK leader.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #106386 on: July 22, 2016, 01:19:57 am »

"Hard" sciences also get more prestige and attention 'cuz they're easier to make money out of.
Have you seen how much psychiatrists get paid?
Psychiatrists != psychologists. Psychiatrists are just medics with some psychology training. Actual psychologists don't get paid that much. Also that's the biomedical sciences, not humanities.
Technically both are in the mental health field. :P
But yeah. There's a big difference that isn't covered by that kind of question. Lots of factors affecting pay. x3 And 'psychologist' can apply to many differing professions that have that characteristic.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #106387 on: July 22, 2016, 01:48:02 am »

Anecdotally that feels very true in my own life.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106388 on: July 22, 2016, 02:37:01 am »

More grammar tweaks from the resident Nazi (OK, maybe one of a gaggle of Nazis.)

'Yay or Nay'.
It's meant to be 'Yea', right? Or is that just me?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106389 on: July 22, 2016, 02:38:02 am »

Definitely yea

Yay doesn't make any sense

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #106390 on: July 22, 2016, 06:27:41 am »

Anecdotally that feels very true in my own life.
That's why it lasted so long.

Also TL;DR on that: study back in like the 70s postulated that if you frustrate people with a test that's literally impossible and requires willpower expenditure to continue, they'll resist temptation less later, and if you let them give in first, they'll last longer before giving up on the test.

Other studies apparently agreed, metaanalyses agreed, the whole idea made its way into pop-psych realm (and nWoD), but then someone recently tested it, found that repeating the test as stated dindu, then checked the metaanalyses and discovered they would fudge the data to make the idea look more true than data said it was.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106391 on: July 22, 2016, 08:45:19 am »

Someone (presumably one of my neighbours) has placed a bunch of avocados (presumably from the tree at the bottom of my yard) on one of the lower steps leading up to my house. This is extremely concerning.
I have no idea what they're playing at. Is this an attempt to communicate? To parley with a new neighbour? Is it a passive-aggressive message telling me I should have showered them with gifts upon moving in, or that I should pay more attention to the tree? Are they expressing their disapproval for the music I play?

Do they expect me to buy into whatever twisted game they're playing and take the things? I won't, I shan't.
I hate having expectations placed upon me, especially when they are ill-defined and make me as uncomfortable as this one. I fear guacamole may have been ruined for me forever; that I will be about to chow down on a burrito months, years or even decades from now, only for the sudden mental image of faceless creeps lurking in the bottom of my yard to spoil my appetite.

...Then again, I suppose I could be reading too much into this. Perhaps they are merely trying to poison me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106392 on: July 22, 2016, 08:53:07 am »

Someone (presumably one of my neighbours) has placed a bunch of avocados (presumably from the tree at the bottom of my yard) on one of the lower steps leading up to my house. This is extremely concerning.
I have no idea what they're playing at. Is this an attempt to communicate? To parley with a new neighbour? Is it a passive-aggressive message telling me I should have showered them with gifts upon moving in, or that I should pay more attention to the tree? Are they expressing their disapproval for the music I play?

Do they expect me to buy into whatever twisted game they're playing and take the things? I won't, I shan't.
I hate having expectations placed upon me, especially when they are ill-defined and make me as uncomfortable as this one. I fear guacamole may have been ruined for me forever; that I will be about to chow down on a burrito months, years or even decades from now, only for the sudden mental image of faceless creeps lurking in the bottom of my yard to spoil my appetite.

...Then again, I suppose I could be reading too much into this. Perhaps they are merely trying to poison me.
Do you live near Mexico, and are your neighbors from Mexico?
At what time of day were the avocados placed at your doorstep?

WTF: The forum has random spellcheck.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:55:45 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106393 on: July 22, 2016, 08:57:28 am »

dude free avacados
One wheel short of a wagon

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106394 on: July 22, 2016, 09:01:12 am »

Quick googling says avocadoes have love and beauty symbolism, but I don't know if it's bullshit or not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.
Pages: 1 ... 7091 7092 [7093] 7094 7095 ... 10974