Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7097 7098 [7099] 7100 7101 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999100 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106470 on: July 22, 2016, 09:55:53 pm »

I'm not sure you can really boil down to semantics an argument about whether or not an emotive thing such as a rape victims not "deserving" to be called survivors. The human experience is not black or white.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106471 on: July 22, 2016, 09:58:47 pm »

You could make an arguemen about how it preserves their dignity to call them so.

but I dont know if its a requirement 
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106472 on: July 22, 2016, 09:59:37 pm »

I would also expect people to have the common sense not to trivialize rape, but there ya go.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106473 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:40 pm »

No-one's trivialising rape, we're arguing that survivor is an unsuitable word for something where merely living through the event is not particularly notable
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106474 on: July 22, 2016, 10:05:46 pm »

:|

its fine.  we just had a talk about a touchy subject and not one insult was had.

drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106475 on: July 22, 2016, 10:08:04 pm »

pisskop surviving a commute to work was used as analagous to someone surviving rape. While I appreciate the argument was made re: the word "survivor", it is difficult to look past the equating of an every day event for most, with something as traumatic as rape. That was the trivializing.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106476 on: July 22, 2016, 10:08:45 pm »

No-one's trivialising rape, we're arguing that survivor is an unsuitable word for something where merely living through the event is not particularly notable
And you're wrong. Language is hard, I know!

dictionary.com
survivor
[ser-vahy-ver]

a person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks.

National Rape Statistics (USA)
Health Impacts

The chances that a woman will develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after being raped are 50-90%.

Rape victims are four times more likely to have contemplated suicide after the rape than non-crime victims, and 13 times more likely than non-crime victims to have attempted suicide.

Women who experience rape, stalking, and/or intimate partner violence are significantly more likely to experience asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes, frequent headaches, chronic pain, difficulty sleeping, activity limitations, poor physical health, and poor mental health than women who have not had such experiences.

Men who experience rape, stalking, and/or intimate partner violence are significantly more likely to experience frequent headaches, chronic pain, difficulty sleeping, activity limitations, poor physical health, and poor mental health than men who have not had such experiences.

5 seconds on a search engine there, spudly. And I'm sure you can track down even more if you want to bother. While the death rate from rape either directly (by rapist) or indirectly (mental health-related suicide) doesn't get anywhere near the 50% mark, it is significantly more likely than for a person who has not been raped. And even for those whose abusers don't try to kill them, or who don't attempt suicide, dealing with and recovering from the involved physical and/or mental trauma more than falls within the definition for "survivor".
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106477 on: July 22, 2016, 10:10:19 pm »

Y'all are so un-chill you're making my beer warm, goddamn.

Or you would be, if I had a beer of any temperature. *sigh*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106478 on: July 22, 2016, 10:14:17 pm »

Its just that context though.

is it how traumatic it is?
or how its not an everyday event for most
is it how it alters the psyche?

because these are all not proper use of survive...

youre saying that im making trivial, when were talking about word use :|
  youre saying it feels icky or wrong to discuss the topic.
PKs DF Mod!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106479 on: July 22, 2016, 10:14:58 pm »

the last few pages made me wtf

like i ain't even taking sides, that argument was just surreal
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106480 on: July 22, 2016, 10:17:12 pm »

I agree with Descan...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106481 on: July 22, 2016, 10:19:39 pm »

I agree with beer can.
* Yoink sets off towards the liquor store, doing his best to avoid creepy avocado gremlins along the way.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106482 on: July 22, 2016, 10:30:33 pm »

I agree with beer can.
* Yoink sets off towards the liquor store, doing his best to avoid creepy avocado gremlins along the way.
Are you trying to win the surrealist quote thread?  (sig'd)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106483 on: July 22, 2016, 10:30:46 pm »

Its just that context though.

is it how traumatic it is?
or how its not an everyday event for most
is it how it alters the psyche?

because these are all not proper use of survive...

youre saying that im making trivial, when were talking about word use :|
  youre saying it feels icky or wrong to discuss the topic.

You were just provided with a definition of survivor by smirk that covers it, so I fail to see your point.

I'm not saying not to discuss it, just use a bit of tact. You were equating your commute with rape as an exemplar of how to misuse the word which, while correct for your definition, was boneheaded in the sensitivity department.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106484 on: July 22, 2016, 10:35:00 pm »

Language is hard, I know!
Do you even bant m8

a person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks.
Used to describe a person, i.e., she's a real survivor, she puts up with so much, etc. Not interchangeable with victim.

The chances that a woman will develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after being raped are 50-90%.

Rape victims are four times more likely to have contemplated suicide after the rape
It's almost as though PTSD is really shit and rape isn't fatal

Are we also going to call doctors "survivors" because they are more likely to suffer from trauma?

Am I an depression survivor because I'm more likely to commit suicide?

You stretch the definition, stretch and stretch, until eventually it doesn't mean anything anymore. If anything's being trivialised, it's people who've actually survived something deadly.

You were just provided with a definition of survivor by smirk that covers it, so I fail to see your point.
A bad definition. Baaaad.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 7097 7098 [7099] 7100 7101 ... 10974