Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7125 7126 [7127] 7128 7129 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13183271 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106890 on: July 31, 2016, 02:05:32 am »

So, I just had the thought. Mad Max is seen as a fairly standard example of desert-punk post-apocalyptic fiction, but there's an anomaly. It is apparently canon in Mad Max that the oceans are gone.

Given that the humidity hasn't risen drastically, and in fact has seemingly gone down, they can't have just dried up in an absurd global heat wave, something has to have actually boiled the oceans into space. What the fuck happened to the Mad Max universe that actually burned the oceans away into the void, but left a breathable atmosphere and survivors to scavenge old cars?

You have just described the difference between hard and soft science fiction. :P

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106891 on: July 31, 2016, 02:56:59 am »

I  dont think there is a coherent canon for mad max. The reasons for societal collapse and the environmental impact change from film to film
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106892 on: July 31, 2016, 03:14:43 am »

Damn this guy has some balls.

Skydiver Luke Aikins jumped from a plane at 7600 meters altitude, without parachute, and landed safely in a net.

https://youtu.be/g8j0YFzmqWc
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106893 on: July 31, 2016, 03:20:24 am »

Fucking hell. 3000 ft of potential drift without the ability to back out. I'm just wondering how he aimed so well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106894 on: July 31, 2016, 04:27:16 am »

Flapped his arms, possibly?

Edit:
Announcer: "He's being lowered to the ground, we'll need our team of paramedics to check him over and give the all-O.K."
Medic: *running high-five*

... Yeah he's probably ok
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:34:56 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106895 on: July 31, 2016, 04:50:16 am »

I'm trying to read a book, and my brain is getting full of fuck:
The monotone lasso move direction (velocity vector)
ρml(α(ℓ)) decreases the loss at the optimal quadratic rate per unit increase
in the L1 arc-length of the path.
The meaning of single words I more or less understand, but the meaning of the whole sentence eludes me almost completely. Fucking hell.
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #106896 on: July 31, 2016, 04:52:31 am »

i mean it's only rocket science

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #106897 on: July 31, 2016, 04:53:01 am »

Now, to me that looks like somebody fed a Markov Chain some textbooks. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #106898 on: July 31, 2016, 04:53:31 am »

actually, looking it up "monotone lasso" appears to be some jargon that seriously does not have a definition anywhere, fucking hell that's amazing

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #106899 on: July 31, 2016, 04:57:20 am »

That actually wouldn't make a good band name
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #106900 on: July 31, 2016, 05:07:33 am »

No, no. I could see it for some kind of middle eastern (or wherever it was that vibrato is basically verboten, if my memory's failing me) expat country band. There's some singing styles that are pretty decent but more or less monotone. You could work with it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106901 on: July 31, 2016, 05:08:03 am »

I listened to the Lavender Town music from Pokemon and it actually made me kinda scared and nervous. Reading Lavender Town Tone rumors and speculation still gives me chills, years and years since the last time I was ever scared by a creepypasta. My subconscious is apparently still really into urban legends and folklore.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106902 on: July 31, 2016, 05:08:44 am »

actually, looking it up "monotone lasso" appears to be some jargon that seriously does not have a definition anywhere, fucking hell that's amazing
Hmm, it does have a definition. It's just not as easy to find because it's a compound term:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotonic_function
In calculus, a function f defined on a subset of the real numbers with real values is called monotonic if and only if it is either entirely increasing or decreasing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasso_(statistics)
In statistics and machine learning, lasso (least absolute shrinkage and selection operator) (also Lasso or LASSO) is a regression analysis method that performs both variable selection and regularization in order to enhance the prediction accuracy and interpretability of the statistical model it produces.

Therefore "monotonic lasso" refers to situations in which the outcome of the forementioned "lasso" is monotonic. In fact, the paragraph just under the quoted bit states as much

https://books.google.es/books?id=tVIjmNS3Ob8C&pg=PA615&lpg=PA615&dq=monotone+lasso&source=bl&ots=EMHfR6MZW2&sig=42nkuCQQHhGgHoQ0l3jzDH8mHh0&hl=xx-pirate&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi01Ym6uJ3OAhVIQBoKHX8SCKg4ChDoAQgaMAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106903 on: July 31, 2016, 06:38:54 am »

I had expected today to be the last day of vacation, since though I'm normally off on Mondays, there was supposed to be a huge sale tomorrow that they would need me for. Originally, that sale was going to be held yesterday, but they moved it to tomorrow - they jokingly said it was because I was on vacation(and I'm not 100% sure if it really was a joke). This morning, my mother suggests that I call work because my sister(who is an operations manager there) told her that they moved the sale back to yesterday. While an extra vacation day is appreciated, sure, if they had wanted me in for that sale, they made no attempt to contact me about it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #106904 on: July 31, 2016, 07:17:20 am »

In my first week back in the United States after nearly a year abroad, I drank port wine out of a mason jar while lying naked on my not-girlfriend's bed, spotted a Trump bumper sticker on a Prius, discovered Duck Dynasty-brand wine at Wal-Mart, and put a groundhog out of its misery with a shovel. #godblessamerica

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 7125 7126 [7127] 7128 7129 ... 10983