Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7281 7282 [7283] 7284 7285 ... 10970

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12952469 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109230 on: September 13, 2016, 02:47:45 am »

Definitely a better way to convey my meaning is "Gravity manipulation". :V Sorry about that.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109231 on: September 13, 2016, 02:54:41 am »

Technically still true since we don't know at the most basic level why gravity works, while we do know quantum entanglement doesn't carry information.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #109232 on: September 13, 2016, 02:59:59 am »

...You know, I think I'd still say quantum entanglement communication is still harder, since we have no goddamn idea if artificial/antigravity is impossible
while we do know quantum entanglement doesn't carry information.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #109233 on: September 13, 2016, 04:11:39 am »

I was under the impression it did, but not in a usable way.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #109234 on: September 13, 2016, 04:20:56 am »

Temperature is already over 100F in my back garden. It's still morning. Admittedly, my thermometer is in the sun, but still.
Normal temperature this day of the year is 68F.
I can't find my behind. I think it has sweated off. Or maybe I'm sitting on it. Can't think clearly with these temperatures.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109235 on: September 13, 2016, 04:22:21 am »

Temperature is already over 100F in my back garden. It's still morning. Admittedly, my thermometer is in the sun, but still.
Normal temperature this day of the year is 68F.
I can't find my behind. I think it has sweated off.
uh excuse me

climate change isn't real

it's just a un conspiracy

look, it's snowing somewhere, dummy
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109236 on: September 13, 2016, 04:32:38 am »

Strange that you're so warm. I woke up very cold this morning.

THEN CAME TOBNOM, HYDRA-GOD.
Sigged.

Probably not as sig-worthy as "THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #109237 on: September 13, 2016, 04:34:27 am »

"Another particle somewhere is known to have an opposite state to this one's" doesn't actually count as information (it's no more information than knowing they were entangled, anyway).

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #109238 on: September 13, 2016, 05:05:41 am »

That's probably it, yeah.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109239 on: September 13, 2016, 06:40:39 am »

I don't watch much American television so I'm not entirely sure if this is common.

I mean, the last time I saw something so ridiculous on television was a Japanese car commercial that used the intro song of an H-game.
It's more or less business as usual for entertainment news. I'd say in the US but as far as I know it's pretty standard for most countries.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #109240 on: September 13, 2016, 11:43:14 am »

"Another particle somewhere is known to have an opposite state to this one's" doesn't actually count as information (it's no more information than knowing they were entangled, anyway).
You can, however, use it as the ultimate way of verifying normally sent encrypted information (entangle two particles, keep a running measurement of them, and then send your measurement with the information along with a time stamp. It becomes literally impossible to falsify once the distance between the two ends gets long enough due to speed of light limitations).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109241 on: September 13, 2016, 03:24:38 pm »

You can, however, use it as the ultimate way of verifying normally sent encrypted information (entangle two particles, keep a running measurement of them, and then send your measurement with the information along with a time stamp. It becomes literally impossible to falsify once the distance between the two ends gets long enough due to speed of light limitations).
Entanglement is also more information-dense than normal information transfer methods - iirc (number of qubits) = sqrt(number of bits) in terms of information content.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109242 on: September 13, 2016, 03:26:20 pm »

I vaguely recall you can send just one direction and get a bunch of information about particle states out of it. Though not faster than light, obvs.
One wheel short of a wagon

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109243 on: September 13, 2016, 04:07:10 pm »

I recall a piece of fiction where someone figured out how to detect whether or not a particle was entangled without checking both of them, and they used it as a (very expensive) emergency alert system by disentangling some of the bits in the transmitter in a pattern that could be interpreted by all of the recievers attached to it. It's clever, at the very least, but while I don't know enough to dispute it something still tells me it's impossible.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109244 on: September 13, 2016, 04:08:34 pm »

I think that goes against the uncertainty principle. Or sounds like it does.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 7281 7282 [7283] 7284 7285 ... 10970