Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7322 7323 [7324] 7325 7326 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189526 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109845 on: September 27, 2016, 01:25:35 pm »

Not particularly slander, nor was racism mentioned.

It was a parallel, albeit possibly not the best. The point was that treating life as utility - no matter whether that life be a gorilla or a fellow human - isn't particularly pleasant.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109846 on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:09 pm »

Yeah, could definitely have conveyed that better, because it really did look to me like you were attempting to hurt Tempacc's reputation by comparing him to someone who actually did or does unnecessary harm. To people.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109847 on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:56 pm »

Wait, are gorillas classified as hominids now? Great apes I know, but I had understood they were still firmly not considered hominids.
They're apparently hominine, at least. So are chimps and humans, but not orangutans. They're also Hominidae, too. So, uh. They seem to pretty firmly considered hominids.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109848 on: September 27, 2016, 01:33:03 pm »

Part of my point is that unnecessary harm to people seems to hold worlds more horror than any other unnecessary harm.

It's my contention that unnecessary harm itself is the problem, rather than to whom or what it is applied.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109849 on: September 27, 2016, 01:39:13 pm »

Harambe was a gorilla born in captivity. His entire existence centered around human entertainment and research on adult gorilla behavior. He threatened the well being of a human child (a rather stupid one, but hey, still human) and died as a result of that, a sad thing, but better him than the child.

That specific bit of my post was a response to cinder's joke (well, I took it as a joke anyway, zero offense taken regardless) about my late grandmother, who was human (I think? She may have been a vampire for all I know, but I dont think vampires die of strokes too often) and an amazing person (for whose wellbeing I would personally slay an entire gorilla family for, mind you).

I still dont get how in shiva's infinitly confortable lap this could have anything to do with racism.

Anyway, no harm done (except to harambe, I guess).
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109850 on: September 27, 2016, 01:42:54 pm »

It doesn't have anything to do with human-based racism, other than the same thought processes being applied to demote a creature's existence to a lower level.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109851 on: September 27, 2016, 01:43:35 pm »

I must make the confession that I have always classified hominids as the big apes that I wouldn't feel comfortable eating under any circumstances. You know, where it would feel too weird and unpleasant. Neither scientific nor a particularly kind distinction.

Gorillas are definately in the Unpleasant category for me, so I wouldn't have chowed down, I'm afraid.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #109852 on: September 27, 2016, 01:48:17 pm »

It is evolutionarily advantageous to care more about human beings than other animals.

Harambe was a gorilla born in captivity. His entire existence centered around human entertainment and research on adult gorilla behavior. He threatened the well being of a human child (a rather stupid one, but hey, still human) and died as a result of that, a sad thing, but better him than the child.

That specific bit of my post was a response to cinder's joke (well, I took it as a joke anyway, zero offense taken regardless) about my late grandmother, who was human (I think? She may have been a vampire for all I know, but I dont think vampires die of strokes too often) and an amazing person (for whose wellbeing I would personally slay an entire gorilla family for, mind you).

I still dont get how in shiva's infinitly confortable lap this could have anything to do with racism.

Anyway, no harm done (except to harambe, I guess).
For future reference if I make a yo momma or yo gramma mention it's definitely a joke.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #109853 on: September 27, 2016, 01:50:44 pm »

It is evolutionarily advantageous to care more about human beings than other animals.

It would be ecologically foolish to maintain this absolutely, however.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #109854 on: September 27, 2016, 01:52:15 pm »

Well not now, sure. We can't replicate the shit we break, yet.

Also since when were animals ecologically-minded? We are just smarter which is why we can cause more damage. If we had intelligent birds in our place they'd probably fuck the world too.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109855 on: September 27, 2016, 01:54:51 pm »

Birds are intelligent. Ravens in particular are as smart as some chimps.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109856 on: September 27, 2016, 01:58:34 pm »

Well not now, sure. We can't replicate the shit we break, yet.

Also since when were animals ecologically-minded? We are just smarter which is why we can cause more damage. If we had intelligent birds in our place they'd probably fuck the world too.

Did I say animals were ecologically-minded? I don't believe I did.

Animals will be quite significantly affected by ecology though. I mean that's what ecology is, how bits and pieces in the environment relate to each other. If a carnivore eats too many herbies, the carnies die off and/or move on, but the plants and shit grow back. It's a pretty cool balancing act.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109857 on: September 27, 2016, 01:59:23 pm »

Bombing crowds of people would pretty much guarantee a war crime investigation and risk terminating the whole campaign, since democracies must keep in account the public opinion of their constituents when committing to war efforts

Well I dunno... It is written right in here that the Military is allowed to suppress any and all information it doesn't want the public to know for reasons that it doesn't want them to know (I originally thought it only could on grounds that the information would compromise current operations) and "It would end the war" is a pretty good excuse. With the oversight being the military itself unless military court actually has to get specific non-military judges.

And all they have to do to justify the bombing run is say that the target was more important. That is typically what they do... "Yes he was in a house full of people... But we killed 11 people to save hundreds of lives and we don't know if we could have got him after and we definitely couldn't have sent a squad in, in time" done! but I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to pull the trigger (and would probably be court martialed for those reasons... In a secret trial...)

---

Ahh here we go. The military's oversight is handled by an oversight committe
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:03:53 pm by Neonivek »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109858 on: September 27, 2016, 01:59:38 pm »

My friend, who is currently training in the army, had recently been really trying to sell me on enlisting. Get in the best shape of your life, get great pay, get great benefits and retirement, travel and adventure and find meaning in life...

And I'm not just hesitating cause I'm a soft marshmallow man, because I am, but I don't want to accidentally obligate myself into doing morally dubious things, like killing or being the hired muscle for whatever corrupt politicians or overemotional reactionaries are leading the country.

He's really enjoying it, so I'm not judging him, but I'm still thinking about it.
Go air force or navy.

Neither is a frontline job, both have some tolerance for flab, and training man.  Go find out what your training can do for you after you do your country.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109859 on: September 27, 2016, 02:01:59 pm »

Bombing crowds of people would pretty much guarantee a war crime investigation and risk terminating the whole campaign, since democracies must keep in account the public opinion of their constituents when committing to war efforts

Well I dunno... It is written right in here that the Military is allowed to suppress any and all information it doesn't want the public to know for reasons that it doesn't want them to know (I originally thought it only could on grounds that the information would compromise current operations) and "It would end the war" is a pretty good excuse. With the oversight committee being the military itself.
-This has to be the only government agency where it is 100% expected to police itself! except for... the other ones...

And all they have to do to justify the bombing run is say that the target was more important. That is typically what they do... "Yes he was in a house full of people... But we killed 11 people to save hundreds of lives and we don't know if we could have got him after" done! but I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to pull the trigger (and would probably be court martialed for those reasons... In a secret trial...)

Edging very slowly into conspiracy theories.

Carry on.

Pages: 1 ... 7322 7323 [7324] 7325 7326 ... 10983