Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7325 7326 [7327] 7328 7329 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997815 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109890 on: September 27, 2016, 06:33:04 pm »

Maybe it wasn't fried?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109891 on: September 27, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »

Cut it open and see if it bleeds. If it doesn't, eat it. If it does, exorcism.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109892 on: September 27, 2016, 06:34:37 pm »

Man we are sooooooo close to Cat Alergy shots finally being ready for public consumption!

And as long as they aren't too expensive I am buying a trial! I am so frustrated about how ignored my cat is at home... but I can't do anything about it because I am too allergic.

Could you link a source or few for this? I don't doubt you, but the most recent articles Google shows me are from last year or earlier. I would take all the shots if they became available to the public. Aaaall of them.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109893 on: September 27, 2016, 06:46:41 pm »

Man we are sooooooo close to Cat Alergy shots finally being ready for public consumption!

And as long as they aren't too expensive I am buying a trial! I am so frustrated about how ignored my cat is at home... but I can't do anything about it because I am too allergic.

Could you link a source or few for this? I don't doubt you, but the most recent articles Google shows me are from last year or earlier. I would take all the shots if they became available to the public. Aaaall of them.

That is because they started a trial a year ago. It will take some time.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:09:48 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109895 on: September 27, 2016, 07:43:19 pm »

I thought hypoallergenic cats were really expensive but kinda looks like it's just certain breeds, so maybe not?  Though I'm sure it's more expensive to buy a certified purebreed.
Nah, the only expensive part is your hospital bills after shaving a normal cat.

He threatened the well being of a human child (a rather stupid one, but hey, still human) and died as a result of that, a sad thing, but better him than the child.
Are you fucking serious. O_o
One of millions of human children, and one probably destined for an unpleasant life if its mother is so incredibly stupid as to drop it into zoo enclosures, is somehow more important than a 17-year-old, critically endangered gorilla? I'm pretty sure he was still young enough to reproduce, too, although I'm not entirely sure and I don't feel like kicking my day off with some intensive googling of gorilla sex. Either way he was far, far more valuable than some kid who most likely wasn't in any danger in the first place.

The only good thing about the situation is that the gorilla is no longer stuck in captivity. Zoos suck.
And before someone goes, "nur nur nur but if da animals wasn't in da zoo dey would be dead," no, that's what nature reserves and the like are for.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109896 on: September 27, 2016, 07:56:54 pm »

How exactly would an animal that spent literally its entire life in captivity survive in a nature reserve? It wouldn't know what to do, how to survive. It'd probably eat a poisonous plant and die because it doesn't know any better.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109897 on: September 27, 2016, 08:08:02 pm »

I think it's not unreasonable to say you value the life of a endangered gorilla over the life of a child, especially in the abstract, but it also seems totally reasonable to me to say "fuck the gorilla, the kids life is more important" and it really depends on the personal values... I think both are okay values to have.

And on zoos... I like zoos. I go to a zoo all the time. The animals seem fine, and for at least the zoo I go to they actively partake in conservation efforts, the income of the zoo pays for the nature reserves and the like that you think are the answer, and a big part of that is allowing people to see in person and learn about these animals so they will donate and spread the cause. Not to mention that nature reserves simply are not always enough between poachers and environmental issues.

Certainly there's probably shitty zoos in the world that do terrible things to animals, but on the whole these days I'm fairly certain they are a net positive.

If you want to die on your pillar of animal right ethics, that's okay, so long as you're at least aware you're also asking the animals to die with you.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:12:03 pm by Criptfeind »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109898 on: September 27, 2016, 08:11:45 pm »

And on zoos... I like zoos. I go to a zoo all the time. The animals seem fine, and for at least the zoo I go to they actively partake in conservation efforts, the income of the zoo pays for the nature reserves and the like that you think are the answer, and a big part of that is allowing people to see in person and learn about these animals so they will donate and spread the cause. Not to mention that nature reserves simply are not always enough between poachers and environmental issues.

Certainly there's probably shitty zoos in the world that do terrible things to animals, but on the whole these days I'm fairly certain they are a net positive.
Sure, a lot of zoos donate funds to actual conservation efforts and serve as a good "face" to convince the public to support such efforts, but hopefully someday soon we reach the point where people care enough about the environment to donate their money/time/care without being bribed with a cute, I don't know, panda or some shit to squee over.
But yeah, I'm not as strongly against zoos as some people. That doesn't mean I don't hope for them to be replaced with something better.

As for Sirus... I don't think he even read my post. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109899 on: September 27, 2016, 08:13:41 pm »

But yeah, I'm not as strongly against zoos as some people. That doesn't mean I don't hope for them to be replaced with something better.

I think it's fair to say that we all wish that the world was better then it is. And perhaps even to try to work to achieve a better world. But until that better world is achieved, it's pretty unfair to say zoos suck.

Edit: Also saying that animals are better off dead then in captivity is... Pretty harsh. Like, even if you think the animals have a bad life (which I disagree with) that still seems like it's something that the animal should get to decide (not that there's a reasonable way to decide that) and honestly I don't think most living things would rather be dead then anything else >.>
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:16:05 pm by Criptfeind »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109900 on: September 27, 2016, 08:22:43 pm »

I was specifically responding to:
And before someone goes, "nur nur nur but if da animals wasn't in da zoo dey would be dead," no, that's what nature reserves and the like are for.
Some animals would indeed be dead if they were not in monitored captivity, whether from injury, disease, or (in the cases of animals raised entirely in captivity and not specially raised for eventual release) their own simple ignorance of the natural world. So in other words, it's not a simple issue and giving your opposition a dumb accent doesn't change that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109901 on: September 27, 2016, 08:25:47 pm »

i still dunno why they even shot him at all
Black lives matter.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109902 on: September 27, 2016, 08:27:17 pm »

This is true as well, I know that many of the animals at the zoo I go too are there because they are unsuited for the wild. A bald eagle who broke his wing so badly he'll never fly again, a albino hawk, who was found starving and nursed back to health multiple times before they stopped putting him back out in the wilds, a pack of bears, rescued as cubs from a forest fire, who never got a chance to learn vital skills from adults.

What Sirus said is unfortunately enough the truth, even if there were unlimited nature reserves available and no need for zoos to bring light to the issues facing the natural world, they would still be needed to house these animals.

Because he had a kid in his bonecrushingly powerful hands.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #109903 on: September 27, 2016, 08:29:08 pm »

D'ya want a rep as a child-killin' zoo, or just incompetent fuckhead zoo?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109904 on: September 27, 2016, 08:30:57 pm »

I tend to favor my own species over others, even in regards to its dumbest individuals.

Probably because I tend to eat the living things which aren't of my species :v
I wonder how gorillaflesh tastes.

Anyway, yea, they could've been more careful about the whole thing, but still, a gorilla dragging a small child over hard concrete flooring isn't exactly the most soothing sight ever, plus I'm not really sure if any substance known to man can put an adult gorilla down before it gets angry enough to bash a child's head in, unless you happen to have some curare on hand. But at that point you might as well just shoot it with a bullet, as its likely a way less painful way to die :U
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 7325 7326 [7327] 7328 7329 ... 10973