Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7327 7328 [7329] 7330 7331 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13141090 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109920 on: September 27, 2016, 09:29:14 pm »

Discussion of Harambe is deader then Harambe is. Here's a question for you folks: why do you keep beating a dead horse over a dead gorilla?

He's dead! You're not! Get on with it! That's my WTF! Who cares? I didn't care about it at the time. My mother came up to me and said "Can you believe this? How dare they hurt this gorilla" And I just could, not, care, less. But no, apparently this is the major issue in the world. A dead gorilla. This isn't about the gorilla, is it? This is about some psychic mumbo-jumbo deep inside about how we approach responsibility or something. Well you want to know what *I* think about responsibility? I think that playing the blame game is a stupid waste of time.

I feel like the Joker now. "Kill a single Gorilla and everyone loses their minds!"
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109921 on: September 27, 2016, 09:34:13 pm »

Discussion of Harambe is deader then Harambe is. Here's a question for you folks: why do you keep beating a dead horse over a dead gorilla?

Why not?

Seriously, why not have a conversation on an internet forum late at night about something if we can find the content within that conversation that is interesting enough to hold our attention?

Why does it seem to offend your sensibilities? Just ignore it if you're really that upset.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #109922 on: September 27, 2016, 09:36:56 pm »

I'm annoyed because what? What was damn compelling about it? I don't understand. It was five months ago. That's literally two years in internet time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109923 on: September 27, 2016, 09:39:22 pm »

But the Cincinnati Zoo told us to stop making fun of their gorilla. We must continue, don't you see?

Seriously, Harambe jokes still top reddit's front page, despite being one of the shittiest memes to be born.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109924 on: September 27, 2016, 09:39:31 pm »

TBH zoos should include in ticket sales/entry an acceptance that violating safety measures doesn't impose any liability on the zoo or staff for injuries/disease/death. If someone wants to be a moron and stick their hand into enclosures, let their child climb barriers, let them deal with the consequences. Zoos should only be held responsible when there is no component of visitor guilt in the incident. Someone taunts big cats by shouting and throwing stuff, and it turns out that the moat wasn't quite wide enough to deter an annoyed tiger? Not the zoo's fault.

Same deal as safaris. If you do dumb shit and break the rules, it's on you.
This wouldn't solve the issue of course, the zoo didn't get sued for letting a child die, they choose to kill a animal over letting a child die. Unless you think the zoo made this choice purely from a liability standpoint and not because they made a moral choice.
I suspect that it largely was from a liability standpoint. People who work with animals tend to also care for those animals, often much more closely than people that they might have to allow near them. Perhaps I'm wrong, I wasn't there.

If it was purely a moral concern, the moral thing to do with no other considerations imposed would probably not have been to default to immediate lethal action.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109925 on: September 27, 2016, 09:43:04 pm »

I fail to see how unnecessarily putting the child's life in danger would in any way be moral.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:46:46 pm by Wolfhunter107 »
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109926 on: September 27, 2016, 09:43:23 pm »

All the shortcuts on my laptop have green checkmarks on them now. I have no idea when this happened.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109927 on: September 27, 2016, 09:47:24 pm »

I'm annoyed because what? What was damn compelling about it? I don't understand. It was five months ago. That's literally two years in internet time.

There's still some mileage to squeeze out, it'd seem. Internet times moves in strange ways in the twelve bays. I'm not particularly compelled, but I was interested enough to post along. I don't care if a topic is old-hat if you can wring out a few pages of fun discussion out of it.

But the Cincinnati Zoo told us to stop making fun of their gorilla. We must continue, don't you see?

Seriously, Harambe jokes still top reddit's front page, despite being one of the shittiest memes to be born.

And that thar is why I brought the whole monkey-business up, I couldn't work out if some recent outrage was pretend-outrage or the genuine article. Brought it up here to whine a bit to ease the feeling that I have lost the thread entirely with memes. The topic caught on, and here we are.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109928 on: September 27, 2016, 10:55:10 pm »

I fail to see how unnecessarily putting the child's life in danger would in any way be moral.
So you agree that the blame lies with the parents?

Oh, and possibly also the crowd of screaming morons acting like it was a sporting event.

Maybe this is just bleed-over from past experiences. I worked in a zoo for a while, and zoo patrons would rank highly in a study of the intelligence of single-celled organisms. No, the exhibit being open-topped does not mean that it is okay to feed the meerkats six cones of cotton candy. Or the same regarding your limbs and the tigers.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:57:23 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #109929 on: September 27, 2016, 11:20:10 pm »

hopefully someday soon we reach the point where people care enough about the environment to donate their money/time/care without being bribed with a cute, I don't know, panda or some shit to squee over.
Well, there's these guys and this guy, though the former is primarily a comedy troupe and the latter is a tumblr. I think there is an actual charity organization for protecting ugly animals somewhere, but they seem to elude a cursory Google search. Make from that what you will.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109930 on: September 28, 2016, 12:26:06 am »

It's evolution, bab.
Animals that didin't end up aesthetically pleasing to us are going to get extinct, noone wants to save them. :/
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109931 on: September 28, 2016, 12:34:06 am »

Though do remember that aesthetics includes more than cute fuzzies. The tasty or useful ones get to stay, too. Also whatever they eat, and whatever whatever they eat eats, and so on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #109932 on: September 28, 2016, 12:48:13 am »

But we can still use European starlings as target practice here in north america, right? :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109933 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:40 am »

It's evolution, bab.
Animals that didin't end up aesthetically pleasing to us are going to get extinct, noone wants to save them. :/
Peter is a true hero of nature.

3. Run Resize Enable

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109934 on: September 28, 2016, 09:24:40 am »

Oh shit.
Butterfield 1 looks better than I expected. Instead of the usual "TERRORISTS WORLD WAR SAVING WORLD ALONE TECHNOLOGY PROTOTYPES NUKES NUKES NUKES SPACESHIPS" it is the good old "gritty glorious war"... an adventure of sorts, I guess. Steampunk alt-history shooters are way better than near-future modern shooters.

Also, thank God Emperor, no dubstep!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 7327 7328 [7329] 7330 7331 ... 10980