Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7331 7332 [7333] 7334 7335 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13120923 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109980 on: September 28, 2016, 05:27:13 pm »

It's basically because of /pol/, frankly. When the Bush years ended and being an edgy liberal stopped being cool, /pol/ gradually yet immediately switched over to being edgy conservatives then edgy neo-nazis. This then occasionally attracted actual neo-nazis who didn't know the truth of That Edge. Pepe is just popular all over the Four Chins and thus it was that Nazi pepes were born.

/r9k/ being the fucking freaks that they are did not help matters.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109981 on: September 28, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »

It's basically because of /pol/, frankly. When the Bush years ended and being an edgy liberal stopped being cool, /pol/ gradually yet immediately switched over to being edgy conservatives then edgy neo-nazis. This then occasionally attracted actual neo-nazis who didn't know the truth of That Edge. Pepe is just popular all over the Four Chins and thus it was that Nazi pepes were born.

/r9k/ being the fucking freaks that they are did not help matters.

There's no shortage of Nazi (or just disgusting) Pepes, as a google image search will quickly reveal. It's been so widely propogated and adapted, though, that how you see it is really more a reflection of the community rather than an intrinsic property of the thing itself. The ADL seems to recognize this, since they seem so keen to stress that it isn't usually used as such.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109982 on: September 28, 2016, 05:43:07 pm »

Looking at that article further it also leads to this bit. On one hand, it seems a bit weird to attach this to a relatively innocuous-looking symbol, but on the other hand I've not seen this in common use, so it might be warranted.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109983 on: September 28, 2016, 05:56:01 pm »

A cartoon frog tied to anti-Semitism and racism that has become an unofficial mascot of the alt-right has been added to the Anti-Defamation League’s list of hate symbols, joining the ranks of the swastika and the Confederate battle flag,

I chortled.
Now I'm imagining a powerful fascist army all decked out with Pepe armbands, saluting the Pepe, and their bloodthirsty admirers years after their defeat getting Pepes tattooed across their face and neck to show how tuff and raycis they are. This is an all-too-amusing mental image. :)) 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109984 on: September 28, 2016, 06:56:44 pm »

The swastika was a somewhat harmless symbol of good-fortune before the Nazis rebranded it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Early_20th_century. :( If anybody wants to prevent the same, start boycotting the "news companies" that promote an overblown link between pepe and racism.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:58:49 pm by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109986 on: September 28, 2016, 07:12:39 pm »

Honestly I'm okay with ridiculous internet memes being vilified.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:18:56 pm by Criptfeind »

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109987 on: September 28, 2016, 07:30:23 pm »

I saw that bloody frog on the BBC news page earlier, and I think the noise I made may have been the best tea-pot impression in my life.

As those present for yesterday's ape-jape must've noticed, I haven't got a single clue anymore, and when even a thick bastard like me could see through that nonsense, something has gone terribly wrong. I mean, Lord knows what it means and to whom and where irony and sincerity begins and ends with that whole mess now, but it's a stupid cartoon frog. One that's been used for all sorts of stupid purposes. The Nazis (if that is even what they are) seems to just be another (admittadly unusually tragic) miasma of people. Surely, a global newsgroup with thousands of journalists should have been able to find someone with the vaguest idea of what the hell is going on.

Honestly I'm okay with ridiculous internet memes being vilified.

I'm sort of, too, but I think it's giving them undue importance. But I could just be a bit grumpy because I've lost the entire thread. I mean, last I remember it was about making Sparta remixes and redubbing the Lord of the Rings films and going "o rly?" when possible. That aside, vilifying that rubbish will let the people who really mean it feel like heroes, and feel that the zog-y media is, indeed, repressing them, and they were right all along. It's a warm, fuzzy feeling I don't want them to have.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109988 on: September 28, 2016, 07:35:47 pm »

That aside, vilifying that rubbish will let the people who really mean it feel like heroes, and feel that the zog-y media is, indeed, repressing them, and they were right all along. It's a warm, fuzzy feeling I don't want them to have.
Did you mean this idiocy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionist_Occupation_Government_conspiracy_theory
Interesting pun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109989 on: September 28, 2016, 07:44:05 pm »

Precisely that. Neo-nazism (the loose sort of buy boots, buy beer, get haircut, blame nebulous groups for closing down the dockyards, be a violent shit-variety) was in fashion for a while when I was a kid, so there was a good amount of zog-themed grafitti around the city.

It's a funny word, honestly. And the pun do have a lot of mileage. Like Zoggy Bottom Boys, coming soon to a record shop near you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109990 on: September 28, 2016, 08:03:26 pm »

Hold a tick. Those sodding bastards are coopting zog, too? This may be the most I've wanted a stick what could reach through time and crump some gits in months.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109991 on: September 28, 2016, 08:07:29 pm »

Umm. Pretty sure they've been doing that for years now.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109992 on: September 28, 2016, 08:10:19 pm »

Bloody well just noticed, then. Consider this a retroactive "fuck them."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109993 on: September 28, 2016, 08:36:06 pm »

Oof, its been a while since I did this many pushups. I think I might have overdone it, my right arm would likely be punching me in the face now if it had a will of its own. Hopefuly the pain will subside till tomorrow, or in a few days. The weird thing is that I can clearly feel a certain part of the muscle tingling, almost as if it were vibrating. This isn't an uncommon feeling while working out in general, but this one is lasting for a few minutes now.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #109994 on: September 28, 2016, 08:45:24 pm »

"often"
I have basically never seen it used to actually mean that someone is gay. Like seriously. :V

Well, good for you.

It should say something that I can't even come up with a metaphor for how awful that thinking is without being horrifically offensive (to myself!).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:48:36 pm by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 7331 7332 [7333] 7334 7335 ... 10979