Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7332 7333 [7334] 7335 7336 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13121554 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109995 on: September 28, 2016, 08:53:01 pm »

cool

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/28/495821834/coins-from-the-roman-empire-are-found-in-ruins-of-japanese-castle

I'd say it's plausible. Chinese silks were traded as far as Rome itself. Some dude probably got paid in Constantine's metal face and brought them back across the Silk Road. Not quite sure how they got to Japan, though. Or how the Ottoman coins got there.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #109996 on: September 28, 2016, 09:04:36 pm »

his trigger word

okay nevermind i thought my post earlier might have been a bit harsh and my anger right now irrational but now i'm actually incapable of making a post that isn't 60% flame

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109997 on: September 28, 2016, 09:07:16 pm »

Edit:
Well sorry to say but I'm on Kot's side, Putnam. It's like you don't want the f word to lose it's meaning so it can still be used as a strawman for bigotry.
And frankly we have Never had to censor ourselves on this forum before. I am pretty ropable that in a chilled, open discussion about the usage and consequences of a word, I'm not allowed to use the word.

I could take the plunge and assume the word had power in context and that I can say f**got when referring to 4chan's exuberant acceptance of it, or the cultural defusal of words in general, but I've already been warned for doing the same thing (albeit with a far less innocent context), so now I am censored and restricted from intellectual debate out of fear of oppression.
Which in my opinion is a concept far more evil.

Oof, its been a while since I did this many pushups. I think I might have overdone it.
I feel that.
Went to visit a friend who had a bow[/b]. Ended up spending an hour shooting it into a target until I could reliably find the bullseye. It was awesome fun, until later that night I had the most severe joint pain I've ever had in my life. It wasn't quite "unbidden moans of pain" bad, but certainly was enough that I couldn't sleep.
Not sure if it was even the bow that fucked my elbows like that but I'm willing to assume.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:17:26 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109998 on: September 28, 2016, 09:19:48 pm »

... if by never you mean the last... how long have I been registered again nine years, sure. Folks have been hit with the banhammer for not being able to keep themselves in enough control to avoid spewing bigoted slurs around for as long as I've been here. You're free to say whatever the hell you please, but at the same time this isn't the bloody place for some things, and if y'can't deal with that, well, there's other places to hold that strain of discourse you can peruse one way or another.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:21:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #109999 on: September 28, 2016, 09:26:22 pm »

Edit:
Well sorry to say but I'm on Kot's side, Putnam. It's like you don't want the f word to lose it's meaning so it can still be used as a strawman for bigotry.

?? No, it's like I have even the slightest shred of empathy for other humans beings. Maybe I don't like it because I have, say, personal friends who have had horrible issues regarding stuff like that, being kicked out of youth group for suspicion of being gay and things? Maybe I don't like the stigma behind bisexuality that I'm still worried about despite it being this day and age? Maybe I don't like the unusual amount of people who, in living memory, have fucking died due to that kind of thing?

I don't know why I phrased those as hypotheticals, those are all real things.

so now I am censored and restricted from intellectual debate out of fear of oppression.

I'm sorry that you live in such a small world that you can honestly believe that forum censorship is more evil than murder.

EDIT: And before this comes up: disagreeing in this way can be referred to as discourse. I'm not trying to censor your opinion, only saying that it's reprehensible. The distinction might be difficult to make for some.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:32:31 pm by Putnam »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110000 on: September 28, 2016, 09:49:46 pm »

Nah, I'm cool with it. If my opinion actually turns out to be reprehensible, then sure I'll change it.

But I invite you to dwell on this forum in general and exactly how many bigots we have here.
I'd personally like to say "none". Don't get me wrong, we've had them before, but it they either don't last long or keep it to themselves. Which is fair. My opinions on censorship is the same as my opinions on sexuality- which is that people should be free to say and do whatever the fuck they want as long as they don't harm anyone.
And, much as it may not seem it, my intention with those words is never to harm anyone.
So bad people have used certain words to ostracise and, yes, incite to kill. Well, words don't kill people, people kill people, and we're not those people.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #110001 on: September 28, 2016, 09:51:18 pm »

No, just the people who merely let the killing happen.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110002 on: September 28, 2016, 10:36:30 pm »

Yes, because by trivialising a word we're all accomplices to murderer.

I'd actually say 4chan's efforts are a step in the right direction.
Please tell me if someone gets killed because they were called a writefriend or a tripfriend.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110003 on: September 28, 2016, 11:29:45 pm »

so now I am censored and restricted from intellectual debate out of fear of oppression.

I'm sorry that you live in such a small world that you can honestly believe that forum censorship is more evil than murder.

EDIT: And before this comes up: disagreeing in this way can be referred to as discourse. I'm not trying to censor your opinion, only saying that it's reprehensible. The distinction might be difficult to make for some.

So we're just accepting strawmen as valid arguments now? Because you just pretty overtly implied that using a word is equivalent to committing murder based on prejudice related to one use of that word.

That's the same tier of bullshit as accusing someone of rape because they commented on someone doing well at a beauty pageant: not only thought-crime without any comprehension of nuance, but also based on a biased assumption with no grounding in reality. It's like seeing someone in Alabama flying their state flag and suggesting that they are literally a racist slave-owner.

Never mind the joyful old tactic of "The bad thing you are drawing attention to doesn't matter because it isn't the bad thing that I am personally invested in, and people are only capable of thinking about or disapproving of one bad thing ever, and anyone who isn't paying specific and sole attention to my pet bad thing issue while agreeing with me is an evil bastard who clearly thinks that it doesn't matter compared to the bad thing that they're talking about - in fact, I bet that they think it's a good thing!"

Do you really get to call it discourse if your arguments have more rhetorical bullshit and dishonest games than actual argumentation?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110004 on: September 28, 2016, 11:51:00 pm »

[redacted]

Nevermind, my "take that" on stupid "Hitler likes sugar" arguments is less important then not having the thread explode into fighting.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #110005 on: September 28, 2016, 11:59:52 pm »

So we're just accepting strawmen as valid arguments now? Because you just pretty overtly implied that using a word is equivalent to committing murder based on prejudice related to one use of that word.

No? I didn't say anything about using it, I said something about censoring it. I said it was ridiculous that censoring it could be considered worse than the oppression it has, which is... the easiest way to read that statement, at least, unless it was about cultural defusal, which isn't something I was even remotely talking about and didn't even consider as a topic of conversation.

Anyway, most of the dishonest games and rhetorical bullshit were my trying to avoid outright throwing insults at the time. I was having an (unrelated and, in fact, apropos of nothing) panic attack at the time, too, which made it way harder. Even now, though, the "basic empathy towards other human beings" things still stands, since the "i got warned because toady's triggered" shit relies entirely on a fundamental inability to see other viewpoints, which is unusually commonly the cause for this kind of thing anyway.

Never mind the joyful old tactic of "The bad thing you are drawing attention to doesn't matter because it isn't the bad thing that I am personally invested in, and people are only capable of thinking about or disapproving of one bad thing ever, and anyone who isn't paying specific and sole attention to my pet bad thing issue while agreeing with me is an evil bastard who clearly thinks that it doesn't matter compared to the bad thing that they're talking about - in fact, I bet that they think it's a good thing!"

I don't even know where this came from, since I have no idea about any other things that are being talked about here.

EDIT: where the hell did the post above "anyway" go, god damn
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:05:44 am by Putnam »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #110006 on: September 29, 2016, 12:05:18 am »

Can we not blow up over things people already got warned over? And the last two contested bans were about? Seriously? The board has rules over certain kinds of content and certain words, you don't have a right to free speech on the internet. It's toadys house and his rules. I don't even personally agree with non offensive use being an infraction but again that's not my place at all here.

okay nevermind i thought my post earlier might have been a bit harsh and my anger right now irrational but now i'm actually incapable of making a post that isn't 60% flame

You should realize this is pretty much exactly the same as flaming? Saying you're not going to say something is about as aggressive as outright saying it, which you seem to have degraded to actually doing.

"i got warned because toady's triggered" shit relies entirely on a fundamental inability to see other viewpoints, which is unusually commonly the cause for this kind of thing anyway.

Last I heard Kot was polish, the 4chan version of the term is likely the most common usages they've ever seen. Much like someone from the UK will think "Cigarette". Sounds to me like you're not seeing other viewpoints yourself.

I don't even know where this came from, since I have no idea about any other things that are being talked about here.
Every time you've gotten hilariously outraged out of the blue and tried to drag people into it? How about that?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #110007 on: September 29, 2016, 12:09:17 am »

Every time you've gotten hilariously outraged out of the blue and tried to drag people into it? How about that?
It'd be a lot easier for people not to get dragged in if their only addition they could have to the conversation is variations on "nobody cares"? Better to not say anything at all than say "nobody gives a shit"?

"i got warned because toady's triggered" shit relies entirely on a fundamental inability to see other viewpoints, which is unusually commonly the cause for this kind of thing anyway.

Last I heard Kot was polish, the 4chan version of the term is likely the most common usages they've ever seen. Much like someone from the UK will think "Cigarette". Sounds to me like you're not seeing other viewpoints yourself.

Oh, right, okay. Yeah, the polishness of the offender was not part of my knowledge, but then again, the cultural context behind the word as reasoning for the warning was pretty damn obvious, so I'm not sure that's really a comparable situation.

(the rest of the post above that i don't have anything to add to)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110008 on: September 29, 2016, 12:15:20 am »

you don't have a right to free speech on the internet.

No... you do.

It means that the police can't arrest you because you chose to vote for Donald Trump.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #110009 on: September 29, 2016, 12:16:34 am »

how about "the right to free speech does not protect you from forum moderation"
Pages: 1 ... 7332 7333 [7334] 7335 7336 ... 10979