Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7424 7425 [7426] 7427 7428 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13199702 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #111375 on: October 20, 2016, 10:18:26 pm »

I don't think you're supposed to mention that, Catmeat.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111376 on: October 20, 2016, 10:19:54 pm »

Why not?

He isn't supposed to be doing it anyway.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #111377 on: October 20, 2016, 10:27:04 pm »

I don't think you're supposed to mention that, Catmeat.

He probably learnt the boundrys.
Hes not posted much on it though.
Also the name is obvious its him
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111378 on: October 20, 2016, 10:29:07 pm »

*sigh*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #111379 on: October 20, 2016, 10:37:53 pm »

So this is a combination of sad and wtf.

Just back from a Signal 4 class storm--and only recently have I heard of an added signal FIVE being added (of which my parents commented 'this is the first time I've heard about that') pertaining to other local areas being hit by the typhoon. It was originally classified as signal 3 before it hit our general region.

I seriously wish that those people in other countries who are unknowledgeable or denying (out of ignorance or lacking awareness) the impact of climate would put in mind that they're not the ones facing these every year or bi-annually.

And as the tiniest aside, our local SM Mall (SM Baguio) is being :v again with their roof. The nice tarp-like roof, is extremely impractical for our locality due to our location + typhoons. And they didn't change it despite the roof being destroyed...twice ago. :v With the same tent-like roof again. Argh. Impracticality.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111380 on: October 20, 2016, 10:39:12 pm »

I found an interesting thing someone presented.

That the death penalty in the USA is more of something people want to exist and less that they want it employed.

Which is why in spite having the death penalty it is rather actually used... Even in the cases that could normally justify it.

AND because the Death Penalty exists... Any sentencing less than that is considered an act of mercy. Giving the illusion of compassion.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111381 on: October 20, 2016, 10:39:40 pm »

*hugs Tiruin*

You are alive.

This is good.

That is all.
Sigtext

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #111382 on: October 20, 2016, 10:43:59 pm »

So this is a combination of sad and wtf.

Just back from a Signal 4 class storm--and only recently have I heard of an added signal FIVE being added (of which my parents commented 'this is the first time I've heard about that') pertaining to other local areas being hit by the typhoon. It was originally classified as signal 3 before it hit our general region.

I seriously wish that those people in other countries who are unknowledgeable or denying (out of ignorance or lacking awareness) the impact of climate would put in mind that they're not the ones facing these every year or bi-annually.

And as the tiniest aside, our local SM Mall (SM Baguio) is being :v again with their roof. The nice tarp-like roof, is extremely impractical for our locality due to our location + typhoons. And they didn't change it despite the roof being destroyed...twice ago. :v With the same tent-like roof again. Argh. Impracticality.

I think they don't understand that a warming earth causes many of these patterns, rather than thinking that climate change isn't real.

I mean, there are always deniers, but I'm sure there are more that think climate change is inconsequential other than a slowly rising tide.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111383 on: October 20, 2016, 10:44:56 pm »

I think they don't understand that a warming earth causes many of these patterns, rather than thinking that climate change isn't real.

I mean, there are always deniers, but I'm sure there are more that think climate change is inconsequential other than a slowly rising tide.
I would like first-hand experience to be within their awareness :'(

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111384 on: October 20, 2016, 10:46:46 pm »

Hmm... signal 4 is a strong cat 3 and up. Cooking up a sig five would be like bringing in the cat 6 classification. Which, uh. If you're being regularly hit by even cat fives it's probably time to stop building there and go somewhere else, tbh. Possibly because everything's been knocked down and no one's left alive.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111385 on: October 20, 2016, 11:03:08 pm »

Hmm... signal 4 is a strong cat 3 and up. Cooking up a sig five would be like bringing in the cat 6 classification. Which, uh. If you're being regularly hit by even cat fives it's probably time to stop building there and go somewhere else, tbh. Possibly because everything's been knocked down and no one's left alive.
It's like this :P
Our storm signals are based on windspeed rather than rain (so, like, once we had a Signal 3 back in my earlier years of college--it was so sunny, but windy, that people had a lot of fun making pictures of dramatic scenes + all the hairstyling). In technical terms for the student, these signals also represent safety precautions (along with stocking up and readying emergency safety/goods/resources/devices). Each signal also covers the earlier one's safety procedures.

Signal 1 = No class for Preschool. Pretty light. May seem like 'light/normal' rain.
Signal 2 = No class for Highschool//Elementary (College is Waterproof! :D); This is common. The usual "Heavy rain, get your boots soaked" type.
Signal 3 = No class for College/Tertiary--people can still go to work; it depends on the locality and/or Mayor and local school. This is the most "common" type of "heavy" rainfall wherein there is no class for basically everyone--there is hard rain and wind, usually power is cut off at this point along with any kind of local wi-fi/internet/whathaveyou in relation to electrical devices; water services are still operational, and the local electric company [it is named BENECO here, of whom we are really grateful for their hard work] performs routine checks on local areas of significance (basically areas where electric lines and otherwise can fall, are in need of repair, etc). The power is also cut off in Signal 2 as that, before, was more commonplace.
Signal 4 = Extremely Rare. This is the signal wherein disasters usually occur--especially in areas where the infrastructure isn't that developed [eg Non-urban areas, although flooding in sewage and otherwise can occur even then; landslides occur, etc]
Signal 5 = I have no idea as to the scope of what occurs, but devastation is expected. It was raised in a couple or more areas as of a couple days ago when the Typhoon made landfall. People were evacuated, etc. My parents have never heard of this classification, ever (And knowledge of the local storm signals is commonplace for every citizen or anyone living in these countries near the Ring of Fire). Until now. :-\

And as an aside, our local mall is STILL being impractical. With 'design' over 'practicality'. :I It's partly in our culture (for those local to the mountains) to follow utilitarianism over fashion due to this, so I'm partly grumpy because of all that!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:04:44 pm by Tiruin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111386 on: October 20, 2016, 11:19:48 pm »

Oh, the category stuff's based on wind speed, too. You can see a fairly straightforward comparison here. Like said, a sig five would presumably be either an upper level cat five (which is already basically "everything caught in it dies") or a currently nonexistent cat 6, which presumably is so strong it kills the meteorologists trying to observe it via satellite from hundreds/thousands of miles away.

Though yeah, it looks like they've instituted a sig 5 since that comparison was made. Windspeeds of over 220 kph. Was overestimating a bit, that would be more like an upper cat 4 as your bottom, though you're still talking potential cat five equivalents. If you're looking to see what you could expect from that, do some research on category four and five hurricane landfalls. Which, uh. If you're in a region predicted to get hit by that you need to leave that region, ha. Maybe come back but definitely evacuate. Places that take the full brunt of those things basically end up looking like someone dropped a (few) nuke(s) on them. Good chunk of folks that don't evac don't live to get a second chance. Nasty stuff.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:35:47 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111387 on: October 20, 2016, 11:25:03 pm »

Oh, the category stuff's based on wind speed, too. You can see a fairly straightforward comparison here. Like said, a sig five would presumably be either an upper level cat five (which is already basically "everything caught in it dies") or a currently nonexistent cat 6, which presumably is so strong it kills the meteorologists trying to observe it via satellite from hundreds/thousands of miles away.

Though yeah, it looks like they've instituted a sig 5 since that comparison was made. Windspeeds of over 220 kph. Was overestimating a bit, that would be more like an upper cat 4 as your bottom, though you're still talking potential cat five equivalents. If you're looking to see what you could expect from that, do some research on category four and five hurricane landfalls. Which, uh. If you're in a region predicted to get hit by that you need to leave that region, ha. Maybe come back but definitely evacuate. Places that take the full brunt of those things basically end up looking like someone dropped a (few) nuke(s) on them. Good chunk of folks that don't evac don't live to get a second chance. Nasty stuff.
This site can’t provide a secure connection

techmagus.ninja uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Um ._.

Also yes, people have been evacuated in areas. :P I am however deeply worried about such affected areas and people.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #111388 on: October 20, 2016, 11:35:10 pm »

Huh. Well, here's a picture, heh:

Was from back in '09, though. Like said, according to y'all's official weather site thingjigger sig fives are 220 kph and up. And, well. Yeah, worry is appropriate. Areas hit by those things tend to be kinda' leveled and a great number of the people still in them killed. Florida et al got bloody lucky with matthew this year -- it was a cat 4 (what would have been an upper sig 4 or low sig 5, by your measure), and it did pretty horrible things to some of the caribbean islands. Several hundred dead, etc., etc.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111389 on: October 20, 2016, 11:37:20 pm »

.__.
I'm deeply glad to be learning from others \o/ Thanks Frumple! :))
Pages: 1 ... 7424 7425 [7426] 7427 7428 ... 10984