Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7471 7472 [7473] 7474 7475 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13207788 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112080 on: October 28, 2016, 06:30:10 am »

That's a pretty entitled opinion to hold

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #112081 on: October 28, 2016, 06:43:57 am »

In regards to the new apple thingy, How does getting rid of function keys improve a keyboard?  :-\
I mean WTF.
 Apple used to mean innovation, not novelty for the sake of novelty.
Its just stalling now and I would not be surprised if it spirals out in the next decade.

Don't kid yourself. Apple hasn't innovated a damn thing since Wozniak left. The Lisa and Macintosh were just (virtually useless in the case of the Lisa and first-gen Mac) rip-offs of Xerox technology, the iPod wasn't the first .mp3 player by a long shot, the iPhone was essentially a more powerful Blackberry in a shiny case, and Microsoft invented the tablet computer. The only thing Apple had going for them was the shiny (and absolutely hideous, but people seem to like it) aesthetic and their constant assault of "You're too stupid to own a normal computer, so buy one from us. We make computers for people rather than smelly nerds."

Lel, pretty much this. To this day I don't quite understand what people praise Steve Jobs for. For one he was never good programmer much less an engineer of any kind, and he kind of sucked at administrating apple, given how it fell into a slump several times and ended up being bailed out by a huge investment from microsoft. Wozniak is the guy who made the Mac a thing and was the driving force for any real innovations in apple. What Steve Jobs was good at, however, is marketing, he was really REALLY good at grabbing media attention and selling his and his product's image, despite the fact that apple's design often did (and still does) conflict with the usability of their products and made them less powerful and less useful than other products in the market.

Close. Wozniak was vital to the success of the Apple ][ line, but by the time Mac development started he was pretty much out of the picture having suffered slight brain damage in a plane crash. It was John Sculley and Jean-Louis Gassée that were primarily responsible for making the Macintosh an actually usable computer by adding expansion slots, a hard drive, and enough RAM to do things with, and color (all of which Jobs vehemently opposed) and encouraging the development of "geek friendly" software packages that would eventually help develop the user-friendly design Jobs was pushing for.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #112082 on: October 28, 2016, 06:56:52 am »

As I understand it Jobs just had raw charisma (and by raw, I mean raw. Completely unrefined and somewhat inexplicable) that made him very good at getting things done despite all logic. There's a man or woman like that behind a lot of oddly successful ventures.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112083 on: October 28, 2016, 07:01:55 am »

I mean the same could be said for Bill Gates.

I think it's really less about Jobs himself and more about him being kind of a banner for the alternative geek community. Now the title has transferred to Linux and there have been increasing support for Linux in the "the mainstream is terrible let's switch OS" group and Apple is now mainstream.

And I can't even say that it's just hipsterism because in this case the hipsters are right and the mainstream kind of sucks.

Also Linux also resemble Apple in that its founder is also a douchebag.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112084 on: October 28, 2016, 07:06:48 am »

Jobs was enough of a genius that he died unnecessarily by refusing modern medicine in favor of nonsense.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112085 on: October 28, 2016, 07:09:21 am »

As I understand it Jobs just had raw charisma (and by raw, I mean raw. Completely unrefined and somewhat inexplicable) that made him very good at getting things done despite all logic. There's a man or woman like that behind a lot of oddly successful ventures.

Jobs was a master marketer. That is the important thing to remember.

He didn't invent anything new. He found a way to make old devices "cool" so to speak.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112086 on: October 28, 2016, 07:15:48 am »

Jobs was enough of a genius that he died unnecessarily by refusing modern medicine in favor of nonsense.
THere's a thin line between genius and doing stupid shit unnecessarily and being a huge pain in the ass to your team.

Jobs is both.

I mean, the man made a cubical thing not a cube so that it looks like a cube.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112087 on: October 28, 2016, 07:17:09 am »

I remember the Macintosh computers my primary school had in the late 90s. They had the CRT monitors with the clear, coloured plastic that looked neat but the operating system was still black and white which overall made them look rather superficial. Macs did struggle with their image; not being serious enough for those who used computers regularly and still too complex to attract new customers.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112088 on: October 28, 2016, 07:26:54 am »

Has anyone watched a show... and have what I shall refer to as a "Reverse Strawman effect"

Where a character is pitted against someone who is SUCH a unrelenting strawman that you seriously doubt the validity of the person's argument?

This strict parent is being pitted against a "Lovely dovey child raiser" who completely loses his composure and resorts to yelling and verbal beat downs to attempt to win... I am just there going "Whoa writers, do you have such doubt in the validity of her arguments that you have to pit her against the worst possible opponent?"

---

Mind you... Given the country this show came from who actually have a long history of being excessively strict, and are still strict, and are now trying to find balance while finding the new ways to be flimsy and backwards. I "think" what is happening is that the scene is meant to be 100% for the viewer to present them with their biases completely unchallenged... In order to challenge it later on from their point of view.

This debate actually COULD have happened in that country (Unbiased media what is that? Pitting someone against the worst public speaker for a movement with extreme attitudes?).

Yet given what it is about. It could be doing what I shall call the

"Feeding the Martyr Complex": Where, in spite being the majority with the vast majority of the privileges, they are depicted as being the odd ones out who are treated as the fringe minority... In order to make the viewer feel like the underdog ("In this changing world, we must hold onto our values that are under attack").

GOODNESS do I feel like I am writing about some sort of Bible Belt American show with a heavy political or religious slant... Am I sure this isn't?

All they need to do is meanishly kill off her opponent and BOOM! it is a Christian movie!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #112089 on: October 28, 2016, 08:31:10 am »

Wealthy enough to hack the transplant system and buy himself a few more years of life after the initial alt-med fuckup though.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #112090 on: October 28, 2016, 09:04:00 am »

I just thought too deeply about touch typing for a second. I realized that I know longer think about the letter I want or the movements of my fingers or its position on the board. I just think about the words, the sentences as though I'm dictating mentally, and by this point the practically reflexive parts of my brain kick and the letters just start sliding across the screen, faster than I can actually all out what those letters are.

It's not that remarkable, it's a typing speed that a lot people manage, but the fact that I am doing something fast enough that I am not capable of comprehending the individual elements of my actions is remarkable.

Of course, I also walked across the room and bought a coffee earlier, and I couldn't enumerate those actions either, so maybe I'm just tired.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112091 on: October 28, 2016, 09:09:59 am »

I can't remember the capitalization of some of my passwords without performing the finger motions of typing them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112092 on: October 28, 2016, 10:08:40 am »

Heck there was one time in collage where there was a bug with the online scheduling system and the IT guys asked me for my password into the system.

I had to literally sit at one of their desks and type it in on one of their keyboards because I only knew the first 6 letters.  The rest was a password I used to use all the time ending in ^&#@.  Except their system didn't allow symbols, so I just did the numbers instead.   I didn't know what number went to what symbol without a keyboard in front of me.

EDIT: I spelled College wrong and I'm prowd of my education I got! I are best spellz.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:34:46 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112093 on: October 28, 2016, 10:32:22 am »

Man watching a show and the main character (or... secondary main character) has already managed to say three incredibly abhorrent things... (1st: Labled all children who aren't raised like she raises children as poor, 2nd: Forced a woman to lose 22 pounds in a week or be fired, 3rd: Forcing her secretary to flirt with her son... which is kind of sexual harassment)

Yet I have the feeling we are meant to root for her.

In spite of the fact that she would likely be on the end of 2 lawsuits... Which I know this show doesn't take place in the USA or Canada... but I highly doubt it is legal there either. (YEP! the show treats it as completely justified even when the character said "No that is abuse of power!" because ELITISM!)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:37:54 am by Neonivek »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112094 on: October 28, 2016, 10:48:50 am »

What's the show called?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 7471 7472 [7473] 7474 7475 ... 10984