Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7484 7485 [7486] 7487 7488 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173771 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #112275 on: October 30, 2016, 10:13:22 am »

WTF invoking way to start the day #N+1: Being told people are coming over to stay for a few days the day before they arrive. When half the house is approaching a disaster area (I've been sick-ish-er than normal lately, so maintenance has largely been left to other house people, which, uh. Doesn't work anymore.).

Like. Why did y'all not see fit to mention this, say, a week ago? Or at least a day or two? No, it doesn't matter that they're close enough a mess isn't really a problem. If it was just a bit of a mess it wouldn't be. It's not. Or wasn't this morning, anyway. Fair amount's already been shifted somewhere else (mostly the garbage, tbh -- I'm not quite in purge mode* but it's getting close).

*That's the point where more things get set of fire than are already set of fire, and the possibility of generations old family heirlooms ending up in the trash increases substantially.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112276 on: October 30, 2016, 10:20:43 am »

Origin Story Syndrome?

1/3 normal alter ego, 1/3 normal alter ego but having gained superpowers, 1/3 campy super hero utilizing all their powers under their new super identity
Add some flashbacks, 3rd person narration, market researched humour, snarky wise-cracking sidekick
Pointless romantic interest that never achieves a conclusive ending with their partner to avoid bogging down sequels with humanity
BBEG is either eye candy who becomes frenemy with hero for sequels, or is completely irredeemable and causes their own death
Superpower gets added to hero becuz
Character who the main character is emotionally invested in tragically dies so that the main character has a reason to be the superhero

There you go, origin story syndrome
Then add capeshit cliches to double down on the cancer to have a capeshit origin story baby that wastes more time on tragic backstory than story; the deliberate choice for franchise building vs telling a story

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112277 on: October 30, 2016, 10:31:00 am »

Well that explains why Cinematic Marvel Universe Falcon sucks so much...

At first I thought they were going to give him a bit more of a military edge... but nope... Blaxploitation.

It also explains why both Thor movies aren't about Thor.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112278 on: October 30, 2016, 10:37:55 am »

Tried Town of Salem for the first time, uh, yesterday and I've basically been playing it, albeit with a few breaks and maybe a couple of brief turns on other games, from then 'til half-past one in the morning. It's surprisingly fun, despite looking like garbage at first!
I think I should probably sleep now. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #112279 on: October 30, 2016, 10:50:08 am »

At first I thought they were going to give him a bit more of a military edge... but nope... Blaxploitation.

Except MCU Falcon doesn't draw anything at all from Blaxploitation?  He seemed pretty military in the movies I watched.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112280 on: October 30, 2016, 10:54:10 am »

Except MCU Falcon doesn't draw anything at all from Blaxploitation?  He seemed pretty military in the movies I watched.

So he never says any wacky things and isn't too old for this?

Man must have been a different person in Captain America and the Winter Soldier... because he has a personality-ectomy as soon as he puts the costume on.

IMO his personality in that movie as soon as he suits up is "Black". Which is why I am actually peeved at the tokenism.

I mean... it isn't like they replaced the personality of someone who actually wasn't "The Black One" in the Marvel Comics right?

Which is kind of a reason why I dread any of the Black comic characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe... If they weren't Black Stereotypes before, well give us time!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:59:22 am by Neonivek »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112281 on: October 30, 2016, 11:01:04 am »

The initial scene with him and Captain America running circles around him was pretty fun. He also seems to be quite good friends with War Machine, since they both come from military backgrounds and whatnot. Makes the thing in Civil War quite heavy.

Thor movies are tricky because he's so fucking powerful. They literally had to ungod him first to make him interesting.

All in all, MCU is... it's not without faults, but it's much better than any possible Superhero stuff at the time, maybe except rare Batman, but I belive that's more due to how Marvel treats superheroes - they have backstories, most of them are ultimately human and so on - while DC has... Superman and Gods and huge dick measurement contests all the time. That's not saying that Marvel doesn't have ridiculous entities but MCU seems to mostly deal with regular humans and the really powerful things being "villians behind villians" at best. Except maybe Thor and the rest of gods but even then they aren't actual gods per se, just very advanced very humanlike aliens.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112282 on: October 30, 2016, 11:03:35 am »

The DC Cinematic Universe suffers from what I shall call "Batman Envy".

It seriously failed to understand the different tones of the comics within it. So now ALL the movies have to basically be like a Batman movie.

What is funny is that... They caught onto this fact and are like "Nope! Full steam ahead! We know what the fans want, but they aren't getting it!"

---

Also I take it back.. I forgot Warmachine is actually pretty level headed.

It is likely why they made Falcon so... "Will Smith"... Though I actually like comic book Falcon ("I" like smart intelligent characters? :P)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:07:05 am by Neonivek »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #112283 on: October 30, 2016, 11:11:40 am »

Man, I mean, I ain't even big when it comes to comics. I think from DC I have only seen the one where Superman goes bonkers and becomes Hitler and only pieces from Marvel, but I seriously get the vibe that Marvel usually tries to give their superheroes a background where they have become "super" in some way instead of just being like that, they also usually have their own problems and vices (Iron Man fuck yeahhhh) and whatnot. I think even Stan Lee said something around that lines, that they tried to make every superhero like this to make people identify with their heroes or something.
While DC is Superman who is basically... what it says on the tin. He is Super Man, he came from outer space. Look at how amazing he is and despair for you never can be so amazing as he.

EDIT:
Imo, Falcon and War Machine are pretty okay - since Wilson is a paratrooper he is more of "ground-grunt" guy with sense of humor and whatnot, while Rhodes, being and officer and jet pilot is more of level-headed no-bullshit man.
Tony Stank, though.

EDIT2: It can be even seen like this - Captain is the no-bullshit guy while Falcon is Will Smith of the pair, Iron Man is the... well, Robert Downey Jr. and War Machine is the no-bullshit guy of their pair.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:17:15 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #112284 on: October 30, 2016, 12:25:51 pm »

Accurate representation of so-called "energy drinks"

But seriously, I don't know what that guy drank or what's going on at all since I don't know any Japanese - if someone can tell me what's going on, do let me know.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112285 on: October 30, 2016, 12:52:29 pm »

This... this drink. Some kind of offbrand "red" creme soda. It tastes like kindergarten suffering.

More explicitly, it is a dead ringer for the "bubblegum" (scare quotes very, very needed) mouthwash they used to have kids use before PE, when I was that age. Why in the name of zeus's third testicle someone thought this was a good idea to produce and sell is something unknowable. How by the vacancies of his fourth it managed to sell enough to be worth continuing to produce, is beyond even that.

It tastes bad, folks. It tastes really, really bad. And yet some mad franchise out there stocks it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112286 on: October 30, 2016, 01:40:28 pm »

Doctor Strange (at least outside that movie) was always a little dumb because at the end of the day he can solve basically any problem by pulling magic bullshit out of his ass.  Because his superpower is just "Magic".

Ok Doctor Strange, Mr. Fantastic, and Superman are in a very similar situation.

In that when they are handled by bad writers... they have a magic wand that will solve all their problems.

However... let me tell you... what I have to tell people about Superman all the time.

His villains aren't bank robbers...
They're the American people!
Down with Superman!  Down with Superman!
So here's a WTF:  I saw Batman Vs Superman and kinda liked it :P
I had a lot of trouble following it at points (who the heck was that guy in the collapsing building Bruce Wayne called dad??), and certain things seemed contrived or poorly paced, but I still liked it.

I was expecting to roll my eyes at Wonder Woman but her fighting style won me over.  Shield combat is cooool.
I wish the batmechasuit and batmobile sections had been longer (less parties more fighting) but eh.
Heck if I ignore the parts that didn't make sense (It being a comic movie, plus I never saw Man of Steel), I just really enjoyed it!
Maybe I have a soft spot for Humanity Fuck Yeah :P  I've always been that "Batman just needs preparation time!" guy.

Deadpool blew it out of the water of course, but that goes without saying :P

hm, I think the new ghostbusters is in the redbox too...
I liked Batman v Superman, but it was pretty lightweight. People who give Batman v Superman shit tend to cite that fact, and I respect that.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112287 on: October 30, 2016, 01:45:06 pm »

However... let me tell you... what I have to tell people about Superman all the time.

Bank robbers with kryptonite
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #112288 on: October 30, 2016, 01:50:33 pm »

I came in to the community center to do some homework, there were no tables available. So I asked a guy if I could sit at the table with him, and he just got up and walked away, shaking his head. Humans dont make sense.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112289 on: October 30, 2016, 02:47:25 pm »

Bank robbers with kryptonite

What is this the Silver Age?
Pages: 1 ... 7484 7485 [7486] 7487 7488 ... 10983