Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7638 7639 [7640] 7641 7642 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13148521 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114585 on: November 30, 2016, 02:46:50 am »

My apologies, then. The weakness of the written medium strikes again!

As Siddhartha sat under the tree clarifying this realization, he was faced with the temptations of Mara, the personified spirit of obstructive delusion. Mara attempted to unseat Siddhartha with worldly power, with fierce intimidating demons, and then with enticing women. Through it all, the prince remained unshaken and unmoved, aware of the temptations but intent on his meditation, thus modeling the determination to awaken and dissolve the suffering of all beings. Siddhartha's unshaken resolution is emblematic of the dedication of all bodhisattvas.

Source: http://www.dharmanet.org/coursesM/31/bodhisattva2e.htm

Posted this a few posts back, you're fine though.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114586 on: November 30, 2016, 03:03:18 am »

So the last two at once in some versions  :P
One wheel short of a wagon

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #114587 on: November 30, 2016, 03:07:05 am »

I mean the real world interpretation of the BUddha means he went through as much shit as Jesus, except instead of traveling around and doing things he just got all illness known to mankind and pretty much tortured himself in hope of finding enlightenment until he realized that was stupid and just meitated instead.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114588 on: November 30, 2016, 03:10:28 am »

No, like. Buddha sat under a tree fasting and living on only one grain of rice a day for three months. And he was really hungry. So this apple that grew on the tree was all wat up and fell on Buddha's head and was like "hey bro, eat me, I'm scrumptious (mo homo)" and Buddha was all "nah bro I'm good" and invented modern physics and put the apple on his sons head and shot it with a crossbow then he flew away on a Delhi river dolphin that was Mahatma Ghandi in a previous life and said "YOLO suckers #reincarnation" and parties with Hanuman.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114589 on: November 30, 2016, 03:19:49 am »

Ok one thing I REALLY REALLY find odd about fiction where people find the Bowl Of Buddha...

Is they take it very VERY literally.

Basically the bowl can satiate you indefinitely. So most fiction have it so it is a bowl of endless rice or something along those lines.

And while I am not going to say the bowl doesn't exist... The whole "magic" aspect is more of a metaphor for the spiritual aspects of his teachings. It is certainly an important historical artifact but actually giving it food based powers is quite contrary to what it is supposed to be.

At least in my opinion.

---

At LEAST with the Spear of Longinus typically fiction has it where it gained its magical super evil abilities AFTER killing Jesus... and that it even being special at all is pretty much stuff added on.

Though to admit... the Spear didn't kill Jesus. The Spear was used to ENSURE Jesus was already dead and the results were... Yeah he was DEAD!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:22:23 am by Neonivek »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #114590 on: November 30, 2016, 03:23:33 am »

Though I mean, magic is more accepted in Buddhism where it's classified as "bullshit mind powers"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #114591 on: November 30, 2016, 03:27:36 am »

In october the rainbow stripe street crossing  in the city of Leiden, made by an artist to celebrate LGBT freedom, was painted over with red, by some guys making Hitler-salutes.
Police have been investigating extreme right groups to find the perpetrators.
But now it turns out it wasn't done by the extreme right, but it were 1st year students, who had been ordered by their dispute to 'do a stunt that will make national media' as their test of initiation.
The dispute itself reported them to the police.

Well, they made the media. They also made it to a police cell, in which they are now awaiting trial. It loooks like they won't be joining their dispute either, it has suspended them indefinitly.
"How to end your academic career before it even begun 101"
http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/hitlergroet-en-vandalisme-op-gaybrapad-tijdens-ontgroening-leiden~a4424717/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:31:24 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114592 on: November 30, 2016, 04:05:43 am »

At LEAST with the Spear of Longinus typically fiction has it where it gained its magical super evil abilities AFTER killing Jesus... and that it even being special at all is pretty much stuff added on.

Though to admit... the Spear didn't kill Jesus. The Spear was used to ENSURE Jesus was already dead and the results were... Yeah he was DEAD!

Oh man, I always interpreted the Spear of Longinus as being a weapon of mercy, to prevent Jesus from further suffering, seeing as how Longinus is venerated as a Saint and all. Might've been a misinterpretation of the legend, but I always thought the "SO NOW IT'S EVIL" thing that happens in fiction sometimes was really weird for that reason! Same vein as your beef with the Buddha's Bowl.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114593 on: November 30, 2016, 04:09:35 am »

It's just a story, you can interpret it however you want. Only thing I remember is when the History Channel was in their religion phase they talked about "water springing from the spear wound" as being caused by embolism.

Putting aside that none of this happened and it isn't history, it was a fairly good day for History Channel in-between blocks of Ice Road Truckers and Satan: The True Story.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114594 on: November 30, 2016, 04:27:07 am »

Oh History Channel. Once you went 24-hour Nazi Marathon, you never recovered.

Also, I generally just refer to religious stories as Legend or Mythology, or just as a Story or Parable if I'm trying to not offend the religious folks in my life.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114595 on: November 30, 2016, 04:29:18 am »

Isn't the spear of Longinus the one Hitler stole in Persona 2?

Also from martinuzz post, whats a dispute in this context? A frat?

It's just a story, you can interpret it however you want. Only thing I remember is when the History Channel was in their religion phase they talked about "water springing from the spear wound" as being caused by embolism.

Putting aside that none of this happened and it isn't history, it was a fairly good day for History Channel in-between blocks of Ice Road Truckers and Satan: The True Story.

I might regret asking this but... Please explain what you mean when you say none of this happened. Jesus and Buddha, at least, have historical records unrelated to the religion/ideology itself that confirm their existance.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:37:32 am by overseer05-15 »
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #114596 on: November 30, 2016, 04:36:18 am »

Speaking of Buddha's bowl: in the bamboo cutter's legend (a.k.a. Princess Kaguya), it's established that trying to find it is a wild-goose chase. We don't write stories about a left-handed screwdriver being magical.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #114597 on: November 30, 2016, 04:40:08 am »

Speaking of Buddha's bowl: in the bamboo cutter's legend (a.k.a. Princess Kaguya), it's established that trying to find it is a wild-goose chase. We don't write stories about a left-handed screwdriver being magical.

But skyhooks, now... those are magical.

Sorry, 'go ask <name> to get some sky hooks out of the store' was a staple code for getting unhelpful twelve-year-olds out from underfoot in my scout troop, alongside the left-handed mallet. /excuse for low-content post.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114598 on: November 30, 2016, 04:45:30 am »

It might not be so much a Wild-goose chase so much that it would take so long for them to find it, as well as being nearly impossible, that Princess Kaguya would never have to deal with them ever again... Which doesn't QUITE work (due to cheating).

Which in many ways is a direct criticism of how they say they would do anything for her and to prove themselves for her... Only for them to quickly give up and cheat (except two). The only one who made an honest attempt and stuck with it paid with his life.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:49:20 am by Neonivek »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114599 on: November 30, 2016, 06:27:13 am »

Oh man, I always interpreted the Spear of Longinus as being a weapon of mercy, to prevent Jesus from further suffering, seeing as how Longinus is venerated as a Saint and all.

Pretty sure Longinus and his "spear" is a saint because he was a miracle worker in the sack.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 7638 7639 [7640] 7641 7642 ... 10980