Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7769 7770 [7771] 7772 7773 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13179393 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116550 on: January 11, 2017, 06:56:06 am »

The question then becomes why Danes are so awful at math, if it's not their language holding them back.

For reference, the first twelve numbers in Danish is in base 12, then it switches to base 10, then at 50 it switches to a psuedo-base 20 system where instead of having twenty numerals they have ten numerals and then express the next ten as "numeral and scores + half [the next score]". It's so convoluted that when I try to explain how it works my mind keeps simplifying it and writing the wrong thing.
Love, scriver~

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116551 on: January 11, 2017, 07:51:36 am »

The question then becomes why Danes are so awful at math, if it's not their language holding them back.

For reference, the first twelve numbers in Danish is in base 12, then it switches to base 10, then at 50 it switches to a psuedo-base 20 system where instead of having twenty numerals they have ten numerals and then express the next ten as "numeral and scores + half [the next score]". It's so convoluted that when I try to explain how it works my mind keeps simplifying it and writing the wrong thing.

Good god, it's worse than French.

I'm lookin' at you, 'four-twenties.'
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:53:44 am by overseer05-15 »
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #116552 on: January 11, 2017, 08:20:19 am »

Could be both things.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116553 on: January 11, 2017, 10:31:05 am »

Well Anglo-Saxon numbers seem to have originally had a base-12 thing. That's why we have named numerals "eleven" and "twelve", with "value+10" names only starting after that, a dozen being 12, and a gross being 144 (122). So there always seems to have been a tension between base 10 and base 12 in Germanic / English counting systems.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:33:43 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116554 on: January 11, 2017, 11:06:29 am »

Yes, there has been three number systems in most european languages - base 12, base 20, and base 10. The difference is that the Danish language uses all three of them simultaneously, like French, except with that extra cruel twist on the base 20 to really make it more complicated than any math-related system has business being.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116555 on: January 11, 2017, 11:40:41 am »

Portuguese works in base 15 until, well, 15. After that it's just ye olde base 10. It does not, however, do the utterly horrifying things that french and other languages do.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116556 on: January 11, 2017, 11:46:33 am »

Swedish also just has base 12 until 12, then goes to base 10 like a normal, well adjusted language with lots of friends and a healthy sex life.
Love, scriver~

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116557 on: January 11, 2017, 11:51:22 am »

a healthy sex life.
...What does that mean for English then?

Because we all know it's basically frankenstein with all its loan words and all the weird rules :P

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #116558 on: January 11, 2017, 11:52:58 am »

a healthy sex life.
...What does that mean for English then?

Because we all know it's basically frankenstein with all its loan words and all the weird rules :P

Numerically, it's a perfectly normal and healthy language.

Everything else, on the other hand...
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116559 on: January 11, 2017, 12:10:33 pm »

Yes at number parties it goes out, and socializes just fine.  Not being the center of attention but not being a wallflower.

Then when it gets home you just find a mostly empty room with a bed, a toilet and a microwave, and the walls are plastered with covertly taken pictures of all the other languages, with scribbled highly detailed notes written around each one about how it can steal their best parts.

Then English takes off it's shirt and you can see the scars and stitches.  you see now in reality that English is not just a single language, but some horrible aberration of stitched together parts from other languages.  The knives by the microwave can now be seen to be stained with blood, and a pile of garbage bags can be seen in the corner, inside....is that Latin's shirt?  No-one has seen her since....

EDIT: The inspiration kept flowing.  I'm not sorry.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:20:47 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116560 on: January 11, 2017, 12:25:07 pm »

*urge to go on the whole "misconceptions about the unusualness of English as related to other languages* rant intensifying again*
I suppressed it, though, because it was funny. Carry on.

Russian just has a base-10 derived system. That's it. Just base-10. With some insignificant fuckery going on around 40, but regular otherwise.
...it is kinda boring that way.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116561 on: January 11, 2017, 12:35:39 pm »

Yet has a different fucking verb of motion for journeys that you might pick rare orchids on but probably won't./s

But really, enough with the damn verbs of motion. "Go" and "come" are already more than are strictly necessary.

I guess that makes Russian the guy that has way too long toenails and likes to show them off at social gatherings.

E: my autocorrect also has some strange ideas about the English language.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:45:14 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #116562 on: January 11, 2017, 12:46:18 pm »

Finnish mostly uses base 10, except for numbers 11-19. Those go 'one-of-second', 'two-of-second' and so on. This can be used later in the number line, but it's a very archaic form. One rarely sees 'three-of-third' used over 'two-tens-three' outside of poetry.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:48:00 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #116563 on: January 11, 2017, 01:51:58 pm »

Polish is pretty simple. 1-10 as usual. 11-19 has number + decimal affix (-naście), with minor minor grammatical change on 15. 20-29 is decimal number + another variation of decimal affix (-dzieścia) with 1-9 after it. 30-49 undergo grammatical change and the affix is different (-dzieści) now. 50-99 again changes the affix (-dziesiąt). Similar shit goes with hundreds and thousands and so on but in the end its just grammar changes since all variations of the affixes mean the same.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116564 on: January 11, 2017, 01:55:40 pm »

(-naście)(-dzieścia)(-dzieści)(-dziesiąt)

Polish has always looked weird. This just emphasizes that. why can't you be a normal language poland. please. welsh is easier to guess pronunciations than you.

My guesses! Nash-Ee, Ch-Yett-Sia, Ch-Yett-See, and finally. Ch-Yett-Si-At. I'm probably way far from the actual pronounciations.

r-rate my pronunciations
Pages: 1 ... 7769 7770 [7771] 7772 7773 ... 10983