Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7899 7900 [7901] 7902 7903 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13206125 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118500 on: February 21, 2017, 07:20:13 pm »

Dangit, I missed the Deathworlders discussion, I actually liked Deathworlders.
Or, well, the parts where they fought the Hunters, I have very low standards, and it did get a bit untethered later on.
I did like the side stories more, though.

Oh, right, WTF thread, I've been learning some basic chemistry and physics, and it is annoying me to no end that I can't figure out why Neutrons bother with attaching to Protons, the best I got was the Strong Nuclear Force, but I am way too low level to understand what half of the terms mean.
i also like it, but i also have low standards, and its a free book essentially.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118501 on: February 21, 2017, 07:23:19 pm »

On a different subject, I reread The Guns Of The South recently and was again struck by how interest ing a sequel would have been. Unfortunately, Turtledove often leaves the more interesting ideas behind, either by ending series when things get interesting, or not following up the better novels.
Was that the one where the South had Big Berthas which worked against aliens invaders?  Or was that a different Turtledove novel?
I honestly haven't read much Turtledove, but my dad was super into that author and would tell me stories.  Possibly embellished, hehe.

Edit:  I mean based solely on my recollection of "Big Berthas", it was probably that WW2 piece, and probably the Germans, who actually had those canons.
Sorta...  Pretty sure Turtledove (or whoever) exaggerated :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118502 on: February 21, 2017, 07:24:34 pm »

On a different subject, I reread The Guns Of The South recently and was again struck by how interest ing a sequel would have been. Unfortunately, Turtledove often leaves the more interesting ideas behind, either by ending series when things get interesting, or not following up the better novels.
Was that the one where the South had Big Berthas which worked against aliens invaders?  Or was that a different Turtledove novel?
I honestly haven't read much Turtledove, but my dad was super into that author and would tell me stories.  Possibly embellished, hehe.
IIRC it was the one where time-travelers gave Lee and his Army of Northern Virginia a bunch of AKs and ammo.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118503 on: February 21, 2017, 07:46:56 pm »

Robert Monroe actualy hinted a pretty decent HWTF idea on the last pages of one of his books. Something about most of the intelligent life forms of the universe developing psychic powers before they develop steam tech, eventualy learning to use said powers to sustain all their basic needs, and easily achieving peaceful cohexistence as a result. Then they find earth and, to their horror realize that, despite being considerably advanced, the huge majority of humans have never tapped into their psychic potential, meaning they have no control over it, and that trying to contact a human (as a very psy-sentitive alien) is pretty much like trying to talk with a living, walking storm.
I read something along these lines, although it was penned as a HFY story (which is, debatable).

I was going to describe it, but I finally found it here and figured that it's short enough: https://imgur.com/IDJsaab
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118504 on: February 21, 2017, 07:50:16 pm »

Edit:  I mean based solely on my recollection of "Big Berthas", it was probably that WW2 piece, and probably the Germans, who actually had those canons.
Sorta...  Pretty sure Turtledove (or whoever) exaggerated :P
You're thinking of the Worldwar series, where alien anti-missiles were useless (for precisely correction reasons) against the shells fire by the 800mms gun named "Dora".

As Flying Dice correctly recalls, the book I am talking about is the Confederates with AK47s. It ends with the Confederacy in possession not only of the AK47 (which both the CSA and USA already copied) but a few Macintosh computers, a large pike of 20th century books, and a few prisoners from 2014. The inevitable tech mixture would be pretty cool.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118505 on: February 21, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »

IIRC it was the one where time-travelers gave Lee and his Army of Northern Virginia a bunch of AKs and ammo.

This reminds me of one of my favorite pages in one of my favorite web-comics, Dr. McNinja.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:00:27 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118506 on: February 21, 2017, 10:47:40 pm »

Oh wow I can't even remember that. Time for a reread methinks.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118507 on: February 22, 2017, 07:47:21 am »

The President: Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Independence Day the movie
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118508 on: February 22, 2017, 08:56:04 am »

Blergh, having an increasing craving for a smoke. What's WTF about it is that I just spent ten minutes scouring the house for a spare lighter I could borrow while nipping out to buy a pack. For some odd reason the craving is being denied because I'm too cheap to buy a lighter which would be about a quarter of the price the cigarettes are.

Think it's a matter of principle or something, or the idea that if I have the lighter I'll just buy the next pack once I run out :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118509 on: February 22, 2017, 09:28:33 am »

Instead of a cigarette, try a bong. Wean yourself off the brown stuff.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118510 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:46 am »

Thing is, I kinda stopped almost three years ago with the occasional relapse when shit got tough. Recently I started again, well kinda, bumming one or two smokes off of friends when we're out drinking and the like. Not sure why I'm craving right now, in the middle of the day with no really major worries pressing down on me :S

Tho I guess I might be downplaying some of the stuff that's bothering me without even realising it, or my brain is just firing off because it tasted nicotine after a long while :S

Edit:

And thinking further on it, my brain is a fuckheaded asshole and doesn't deserve to get a fix, so fuck it, let it stew in it's own miserable weakness, I'll be doing productive stuff with or without it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:36:30 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118511 on: February 22, 2017, 02:23:11 pm »

In celebration of finally getting around to building the mining mount thing in terraria, I decided to take it for a ride and find out how many granite blocks were in one of the world's granite minibiomes.

why did I do this, again? fortunately it didn't take very long, but now that I finish the decision making involved here seems suspect
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118512 on: February 22, 2017, 02:28:34 pm »

I gots me a sinus infection. Left side of my face feels like a drum getting beaten by a horde of mongol dweebs. I also have some nosebleeds, does this mean I'm an anime?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118513 on: February 22, 2017, 05:08:46 pm »

I gots me a sinus infection. Left side of my face feels like a drum getting beaten by a horde of mongol dweebs. I also have some nosebleeds, does this mean I'm an anime?

Only if the nosebleeds start by ogling pretty girls who aren't wearing enough clothing.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118514 on: February 22, 2017, 05:26:30 pm »

Apparently, my mom knows the taxi driver that took the 9/11 attackers to the airport that day.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 7899 7900 [7901] 7902 7903 ... 10984