Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8072 8073 [8074] 8075 8076 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995830 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #121095 on: April 20, 2017, 01:27:05 pm »

I think you might be reading into it a bit. Some people (me included) just look at other people when they pass. It's nothing creepy, but if I am in a public environment I have the right to take note of who I am sharing that environment with. Most people don't even notice. Usually they are just looking at the ground or phones or friends, but if someone does look back at me, I nod at them. It's just a courtesy, and less creepy than just staring back or looking away without acknowledging them. Maybe you both just happen to be people who look around?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #121096 on: April 20, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »

Someone I know called one of her friends Shaun for something like two years. His name is Dirk.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #121097 on: April 20, 2017, 02:22:36 pm »

I only tend to get names down on the third or fourth time I meet somebody. I'm not a very social person in meatspace so I guess I don't spend a lot of brain time on things like that.

I forget my own name and face with startling frequency though so maybe I'm just kinda dumb.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #121098 on: April 20, 2017, 02:41:13 pm »

I know a guy who greets me every time we pass by a slightly wrong name. Like, just two letters off. It's always at a time when it would be awkward for me to correct him :v
Honestly the rule for these things is that it's always going to be awkward, and it's only going to get more awkward the longer you wait. Things like correcting people on your name (or asking people to remind you of their's) is like ripping off a band-aid; you just need to grit your teeth and do it, at which point the problem will be resolved. Just tell the person what your name actually is, and then tell them that it's partially your fault too for not catching the mistake earlier or something similar to help distribute the blame and go on with your life in a decidedly less awkward way.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121099 on: April 20, 2017, 03:25:30 pm »

I call people using slightly wrong names all the time to see if they go through the pain of correcting me or end up adopting the nicknames I put on them. Then I keep doing it, regardless of what happens.

I love people.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #121100 on: April 20, 2017, 04:09:14 pm »

I call people using slightly wrong names all the time to see if they go through the pain of correcting me or end up adopting the nicknames I put on them. Then I keep doing it, regardless of what happens.

I love people.
I had a friend who did that and it was pretty funny; at least until people started ignoring him until he called them by the right name (which was funny for me, not so funny for him :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121101 on: April 20, 2017, 04:28:19 pm »

I love people.
I had a friend who did that and it was pretty funny; at least until people started ignoring him until he called them by the right name (which was funny for me, not so funny for him :P).

Time for a small WTF story.

10th grade, latin class. I was sitting there minding my own business just working on some stuff when this guy I was kinda friends* with stood up and walked over to me. He stood there watching me work for a second, and then he declared "From now on, i'm gonna call you Spanky."

I looked up at him and calmly said "Please dont"
"Naw, it's gonna be a thing now. Your Spanky."
I told him it would never be a thing, it would never catch on, I would just ignore him until he used my correct name.

I underestimated his commitment to this. He started spreading it among the student body, and everyone started calling me that.
I figured, so what? It's just a thing, it'll be gone in a month or so. I'll just keep ignoring it.

By the end of my senior year, half my teachers were calling me Spanky.

*see, frenemies. nope, looked it up. Frenemies seems to imply backstabbing or double timing. We both genuinely liked each other at times, we were just constantly dicks to each other and hated the others guts. Pretty up front about it.

Edit: For reference, this same class and kid produced this video during that year, featuring the latin teachers intro for his video instruction.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:37:17 pm by helmacon »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #121102 on: April 20, 2017, 05:17:09 pm »

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121103 on: April 20, 2017, 05:21:29 pm »

Hey, I had Latin for a pretty long time too. It's a thing in some places.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121104 on: April 20, 2017, 05:21:50 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121105 on: April 20, 2017, 05:50:27 pm »

We literally only had Spanish.

It was a small town school, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121106 on: April 20, 2017, 07:17:32 pm »

Spaniah and Italian and, more often nowadays, Chinese are common here.

latin at better Schools or towns.

_________

hey, you guys ever think about keeping a journal forlater reading?

ive done so a few times in my life, thank the Freudian psychiatrist for forcing young pkop to keep a dream journal.

but i havent done so in years.  amazing the dumb crap you obsess over in daytoday life
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121107 on: April 20, 2017, 08:20:37 pm »

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121108 on: April 20, 2017, 08:27:19 pm »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121109 on: April 20, 2017, 08:50:20 pm »

It always get's me how there are these russian defenders in the comments of all videos like that, and they just spout anti-american bs, play the victim card whenever anyone disagrees with them, and generally do the worst job of representing thier argument.

Feels like a paid supporter thing...
Pages: 1 ... 8072 8073 [8074] 8075 8076 ... 10973