Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8095 8096 [8097] 8098 8099 ... 10970

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12950563 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #121440 on: April 28, 2017, 05:53:36 pm »

I'm not made of money.

Actually a basic UPS is fairly cheap (~$40-50) nowadays, so long as you only need it to stay up long enough to save your work and perform a clean shutdown...
Are they bulky? I don't have a lot of room underneath/behind my desk.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #121441 on: April 28, 2017, 05:55:42 pm »

I'm not made of money.
Actually a basic UPS is fairly cheap (~$40-50) nowadays, so long as you only need it to stay up long enough to save your work and perform a clean shutdown...
Are they bulky? I don't have a lot of room underneath/behind my desk.
Not really. Just too damn heavy for their size.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:02:56 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121442 on: April 28, 2017, 07:34:58 pm »

Umm, where in there do you see an insult or diminutive remark?

I didnt put one foreward, so *shrug*

He presents a very earnest character.

Perhaps you mistook 'child like mannerism' for something else than 'earnest'.

its memetic because he has like 3 teeth, squeaks like a dolphin, and has that certain childlike method of storytelling.  why its a chosen meme for any misbegotten altright standpoint idk.

fuckin bacon strips, milk cups and frog faces.  yea, real clever.  completely the intellectualisms that will compete with the march of liberalism.  college elite versus pepe.

And then go on to associate him with people you dislike politically where no such association exists (except in the minds of deluded out-of-touch socjus journos). You didn't know what you were talking about, so you instantly defaulted to assuming that it was a meme because of that shit. "Hurr he's a meme because he looks and sounds strange-" "-oh no I didn't mean that he looks and sounds strange, I was just complementing how his behavior resembles that of a child!"  ::)

This is a kinda rare (kek) meme in that there actually is a surface-level characteristic which helps inform meaning even if you're not familiar with the culture behind it, but it's also... blatantly obvious. Guy laughing and hardly able to stop himself. What's that Pokemon meaning?! Next you're gonna say that Scumbag Steve is actually Serial Rapist Steve because he looks slightly intoxicated and is coming into a house late at night.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121443 on: April 28, 2017, 08:36:38 pm »

.  When one fails to appreciate why something can become so popular ( hint: its uncanny, tickling that spot between genuine and unreal ) and instead falls back onto blathering I care not for it.

Sure, it was because he was genuine and had an infectious sort of laugh.  But you know what else?  It was it damn appearance that made it uncanny from everyday living.

But you cant see that, because to admit it would be to admit that their is room to critique his image, culture, or mannerisms, hunh.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:23:33 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121444 on: April 28, 2017, 09:13:57 pm »

I find it interesting that cheaper production costs kind of has two effects.

One is it leads to higher quality programming as you need less money to do greater things, allowing good writing / scripts / ideas to become more viable and less immediately risky.

two is it leads to lower quality programming as now the benchmark for garbage to be made becomes smaller.

But as in my opinion the value of a medium isn't in the lowest common denominator or even the average... But in how many good and great products are made.

If you are wondering that is my opinion on singular games as well. It is why I don't give very much praise to long but tepid games.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:16:38 pm by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #121445 on: April 29, 2017, 08:22:05 am »

._.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #121446 on: April 29, 2017, 08:24:19 am »

"Saddam's black magic"

Has anyone actually done anything about the book other than remove it from public display?

I mean, IIRC, blood is considered an unclean fluid in Islam and thus writing a Quran in it qualifies as sacrilege/is forbidden. Now that it's been completed, however, it's sacrilege/is forbidden to destroy it.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121447 on: April 29, 2017, 10:08:56 am »

"Saddam's black magic"

Has anyone actually done anything about the book other than remove it from public display?

I mean, IIRC, blood is considered an unclean fluid in Islam and thus writing a Quran in it qualifies as sacrilege/is forbidden. Now that it's been completed, however, it's sacrilege/is forbidden to destroy it.
If I am correct, worn or defective copies of the Quran can be buried or burned in a respectful manner. So, given a reason to dispose of it, they could have done it. It's not really that much of a logic bomb.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #121448 on: April 29, 2017, 11:19:01 am »

I thought being able to view my schedule online would be badass. No need to go in and ask if I forget my hours, right? Well, the website doesn't work. I refresh it a few times in Firefox, disable adblockers, no dice. Trying Internet Explorer reveals a message saying "The publisher of this content doesn't allow it to appear inside a frame." So, not only does it not work, they designed it to not work. At least IE lets you pop the content into a seperate window and it works then.

So, the last two major errors I've encountered on the internet have been because of outdated, insecure websites using iframes improperly. Sigh :(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121449 on: April 29, 2017, 01:26:01 pm »

Ok here is something.

So I am watching a Chinese (or Korean >_< or... another Asian country) anime about a professional MMO player.

and they make him seem more and more super special as the show goes on with the feats and builds he is able to pull off. Yet in doing so they are kind of making the MMO they are playing seem incredibly, stupidly, broken. He is managing to out DPS the damage based classes as a "Classless". I am not even getting into some of the bigger bunch of BS he pulls earlier either (including but not limited to: One shotting a 100-man raid boss)

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Where a show tries so hard to convince us that the protagonist is apparently amazing... but it seems to come at the cost of making the game/sport/whatever seem like it has terrible rule issues?

I mean the only other example is Harry Potter where the entire... Game portion seems to not matter as the Snitch is just worth too many points... But then again that game is MEANT to seem broken. You aren't supposed to think it has really great rules (Heck the Muggle version is nothing like the actual game even if you took out the flying)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:40:54 pm by Neonivek »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121450 on: April 29, 2017, 02:38:00 pm »

Plenty of children's shows have arbitrary rulesets to their games or even realities.

pokemon, the show -> one at a time, 6 max, 4 moves (no giving half your money, sadly)
yugioh -> wholly shit I dont even understand how the show works, everything is 'the final final battle' simply because it can be.

Any of the saturday morning cartoons place limitations on the conduct of both the villains and the heroes based on morales that are being expressed.

FPS games are famous for giving the protag magic healing skills.  I often wonder if a hero with such abilities would really win out over an army, but in any case your berserk bullet sponge has the rules bent in their favor.  Reality literally exists for the player's avatar, and npcs will do 'odd' things to help validate the player.

Are you asking about a show that goes out of its way to present a 'video game' that the protag is magic-mary good at even though the rules clearly bend for them?  I dont really watch shows in general, but there are certainly numerous examples of protags getting by just because convenience for the plot.

Good plotlines are good because they better hide their plotarmor.  look for bad plot.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121451 on: April 29, 2017, 03:02:00 pm »

Are you asking about a show that goes out of its way to present a 'video game' that the protag is magic-mary good at even though the rules clearly bend for them?  I dont really watch shows in general, but there are certainly numerous examples of protags getting by just because convenience for the plot.

Somewhat (sports and other games included)... or SORT OF

I am asking for examples where it goes so far out of its way to show how great the protagonist (or some other character) that it less makes you believe the main character is good and more that it makes you think the game they are playing is flat out broken, unbalanced, or nearly unplayable.

Broken =/= Arbitrary.

Yu-Gi-Oh definitely has broken rules but they don't stem from the protagonist oddly enough... It is the villains and opponents who show how barely functional it is (Season one exempted, but that entire season was broken) with their ability to create entirely new sets of rules, the fact that you can create your own cards legally (SOMEHOW!), and that you don't have to tell anyone what the cards you have actually do.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #121452 on: April 29, 2017, 03:04:46 pm »

"Saddam's black magic"

As I understand the situation, this particular book is considered the same way a corrupted translation or error-filled copy would be - it isn't a Quran at all.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #121453 on: April 29, 2017, 03:16:55 pm »

"Saddam's black magic"

As I understand the situation, this particular book is considered the same way a corrupted translation or error-filled copy would be - it isn't a Quran at all.
I wonder if you could use it to summon eldritch horrors from beyond...
._.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121454 on: April 29, 2017, 04:05:09 pm »

You can summon ISIS to kill you, i guess.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 8095 8096 [8097] 8098 8099 ... 10970