Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8095 8096 [8097] 8098 8099 ... 10515

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 9329017 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #121440 on: May 20, 2017, 12:00:39 pm »

Today I spent an hour and a half trying to debug a modded creature.

Turns out my stupid lizard brain was defining things in the tissue template as [TISSUE:NAME] instead of [TISSUE_TEMPLATE:NAME].
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121441 on: May 20, 2017, 01:06:43 pm »

copy-paste all the things
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121442 on: May 20, 2017, 02:01:09 pm »

Windows did another automatic update, and now my laptop cant connect to the internet through any means, which means i cant do simple things like check and write emails on anything besides my phone. And it locks up, completely, if i try to run oblivion. Which has never happened before.
And a dwarf fortress save corrupted for the first time in over a year.
It is terrible.
See this is why I didn't update to Windows 10 back when they were all but forcing it down everyone's throats.

I've had a handful of bugs in the first month or two after the release, but since then - pretty much smooth sailing.
Personally, I've had two bugs:
1) Sometimes disk usage pretends to be 100%

None of the solutions I've seen online work. And the reason I say "pretends" is that in task manager nothing is using the disk much at all. No more than usual, anyway. But the computer decides that disk usage is 100% and so it's going to run slow as fuck.

Shit, ive been having that problem too. Right now in fact. Its really hard to get anywhere when it takes 1-2 full minutes for a program to respond to you clicking on an option. But task manager reports all of jack shit going on. 6% cpu use, 100% disk use, but no programs using more than .1 mb/sec, and then only about a dozen total.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #121443 on: May 20, 2017, 04:46:23 pm »

Disabling Superfetch and Windows Search (not just stopping, but straight-up disabling them) worked for me.

I've been relatively lucky when it comes to Winblows though, so that may not work.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121444 on: May 20, 2017, 05:38:32 pm »

So ive been trying some 'natural' Scandinavian yogurt stuff.

supposedly like milk, fruit stuff, and cultures, if the tin is accurate.  low sugar count at least

about 2x as expensive as danon stuff.  idk much about it though
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121445 on: May 20, 2017, 05:54:55 pm »

Disabling Superfetch and Windows Search (not just stopping, but straight-up disabling them) worked for me.

I've been relatively lucky when it comes to Winblows though, so that may not work.

How would one go about doing that? I havent found anything that lets me disable them.

Nevermind, i think i got it
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:56:47 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #121446 on: May 20, 2017, 06:54:11 pm »

None of the solutions I've seen online work. And the reason I say "pretends" is that in task manager nothing is using the disk much at all. No more than usual, anyway. But the computer decides that disk usage is 100% and so it's going to run slow as fuck.
Task manager doesn't show all tasks. There are "hidden" processes that it doesn't show. Also, I bet it's the Windows' total data collection thing.
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121447 on: May 20, 2017, 07:49:46 pm »

So ive been trying some 'natural' Scandinavian yogurt stuff.

supposedly like milk, fruit stuff, and cultures, if the tin is accurate.  low sugar count at least

about 2x as expensive as danon stuff.  idk much about it though

Filmjölk? Filmjölk is the best. Couldn't break fast without it.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121448 on: May 20, 2017, 07:58:39 pm »

Do they have lutefisk with the Filmjölk?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #121449 on: May 20, 2017, 08:04:18 pm »

Windows did another automatic update, and now my laptop cant connect to the internet through any means, which means i cant do simple things like check and write emails on anything besides my phone. And it locks up, completely, if i try to run oblivion. Which has never happened before.
And a dwarf fortress save corrupted for the first time in over a year.
It is terrible.
See this is why I didn't update to Windows 10 back when they were all but forcing it down everyone's throats.

I've had a handful of bugs in the first month or two after the release, but since then - pretty much smooth sailing.

Shit, ive been having that problem too. Right now in fact. Its really hard to get anywhere when it takes 1-2 full minutes for a program to respond to you clicking on an option. But task manager reports all of jack shit going on. 6% cpu use, 100% disk use, but no programs using more than .1 mb/sec, and then only about a dozen total.

Last time this was happening to me it was a dying hard drive. There are diagnostic tools to test this in windows and linux AFAIK, use those.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121450 on: May 20, 2017, 08:17:59 pm »

its good enough.

im a fan of frozen flimjolk then
PKs DF Mod!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121452 on: May 20, 2017, 08:43:09 pm »

Earlier, I got $20 cash out at the supermarket along with my purchase of coffee and chocolate.
Then, I completely forgot to wait for the money to dispense. Shit. Not sure if I posted about this before, but in an even bigger WTF this is the second time this has happened to me! I'm normally very switched-on when it comes to getting cash out. I've never forgotten money at an ATM or anything.

Perhaps it's just the classic supermarket vibe, making me desperate to get out of there as soon as possible.
Obviously this also works as a Terrified... the last time this happened, I went back there and was lucky enough for one of the staff to have picked up the money before any other customers could grab it. Who knows if I shall be so lucky twice. At least the place wasn't very crowded this time, so perhaps... I'd really rather I didn't have to go back there so soon, though.
I was planning on having a shower before doing anything. Ugh, so stupid. I'm going to have to stop getting cashout at the self-serve checkout. :-[
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121453 on: May 20, 2017, 08:54:11 pm »

Naming computers is a lot more complex than I first imagined.
Nothing too surprising, but interesting read!
I've been using Homestuck land-names for a while, like LOHAC and... DERSE...  Okay not very consistently.  And as the article points out, such names are actually pretty useless on the rare occasions someone else has needed to type the name.  Fine for when explorer manages to discover the devices on the network...  Which is ludicrously unreliable even here in the far future.

My brother uses gemstones like Lazuli and Sapphire, though that's as far as he's needed.  Also, I learned that they should probably be lowercase, even though that'd look weird since mine are acronyms.  But they also shouldn't be acronyms.

When I was growing up we used last names from Civil War commanders.  Last names are probably a bad idea, but I've never met a "Mosby" or "Longstreet".  "Lee", the file server, might have been a problem in a large office.
...Well, there may have been a different problem with that system in an office setting :P
They/them
Black lives matter.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121454 on: May 20, 2017, 09:23:27 pm »

Though, that article is from 1990... I'm not sure how much of the sensibilities are still required.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 8095 8096 [8097] 8098 8099 ... 10515