Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8130 8131 [8132] 8133 8134 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998777 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #121965 on: May 13, 2017, 04:11:20 pm »

Selling a stolen gun I'm pretty sure is a felony on par with attempted murder.

Let's not get all crazy here, because this is a serious thing. There are plenty of people who lie in their graves after being shot through a wall by someone mishandling a gun. If you really have to take some form of direct action, disassemble the gun and leave your stepfather to figure out how to put it back together. Don't even do that unless you're in danger.

But a more useful action would be to save every last dime and move out of that house.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:12:54 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #121966 on: May 13, 2017, 04:13:53 pm »

Recklessness on that level is universally a crime - at the very least the guy in question should be arrested for reckless endangerment.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121967 on: May 13, 2017, 04:19:54 pm »

That seems a bit over the top.
I don't believe any judge would send a worried youngster who just wanted to get rid of a gun in a house with drunk people to jail. But then again, I'm no expert in US justice system.

But yeah, reporting it to the authorities is technically a better option. I can see that being hard though, reporting your own parents, hence I offered an alternative.
Your alternative of disassembling it is a better one.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:21:27 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #121968 on: May 13, 2017, 04:23:36 pm »

That seems a bit over the top.
I don't believe any judge would send a worried youngster who just wanted to get rid of a gun in a house with drunk people to jail. But then again, I'm no expert in US justice system.
Over here, we take stolen firearms very seriously, as it is a common way for criminals to get around the whole "felons can't buy a gun" thing, and the fact that so many people own one legally means that it isn't that hard to steal them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121969 on: May 13, 2017, 05:19:43 pm »

Stealing the gun would be a horrible idea, both because of legal reasons and because it'd royally piss off his stepdad who seems like someone you ABSOLUTELY do not want to piss off.

Let's not get all crazy here, because this is a serious thing. There are plenty of people who lie in their graves after being shot through a wall by someone mishandling a gun. If you really have to take some form of direct action, disassemble the gun and leave your stepfather to figure out how to put it back together. Don't even do that unless you're in danger.

But a more useful action would be to save every last dime and move out of that house.

Wouldn't that just piss off his stepdad? Akura would probably prefer something that doesn't piss off his stepdad.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:22:03 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121970 on: May 13, 2017, 05:31:52 pm »

As I said, that is the correct action in extremis, not anything less.

Best thing to actually do is the saving and moving.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121971 on: May 13, 2017, 05:55:42 pm »

Had several separate, dramatic dreams last night.
At least one did the whole "wake up with a jolt, adrenaline pumping" nightmare kind of thing.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #121972 on: May 13, 2017, 06:14:33 pm »

At least one did the whole "wake up with a jolt, adrenaline pumping" nightmare kind of thing.   
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2010-04-12
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #121973 on: May 13, 2017, 07:00:09 pm »

I'm reading "Me Talk Pretty One Day," a book I picked out at random. The two-chapter sample on Google Play made it seem like a feel-good autobiography about a gay kid with a lisp.

Every chapter after the sample has turned out to be a funny, but still messed-up black comedy featuring sick puppies being revived in the oven at 200 degrees, cocaine, and a whole lot of swearing.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121974 on: May 13, 2017, 07:07:09 pm »

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2010-04-12
Hah, I know I'm not dreaming now, real life is too nonsensical to be the product of my brilliant mind.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #121975 on: May 13, 2017, 09:15:05 pm »

So lastnight I'm working all the way up until 2 am.  The day was a goddamn mess, and it took that long to clean it up.  I'd already agreed to pick up a friend at 3 am, because I'm normally out driving Uber/Lyft Friday nights anyway.  So despite being burned out as fuck, I head out and get a couple trips in before picking him up.  Get home and get in a couple hours of free time, before going to bed at like 6 am.

Wake up 4 pm.  Get a cup of coffee and check on work e-mails.  There's a hand carry.

We received notice of this hand carry a few minutes after the flight had already departed.  I'm checking e-mail and seeing this a full hour later.  It's only a 3 hour flight.  I have to fucking get on it.

I question some details on this paperwork to the shipper and importer, and then scramble to get this entry done after all is resolved.  The port they're flying into likes documents faxed directly to the terminal, so I have to run into the office to use the fax machine.  I get everything completely finished about 5 minutes after the plane is scheduled to land.  Just before the courier(s) would theoretically be walking up to customs to go "Hey we're importing this stuff.  Here's our entry number."

So then I wait.  Sitting in the office completely alone at 6 pm on a Saturday evening, tending to some other work stuff in the meantime.  Sometimes it takes a fairly long time to get off the plane and get your turn at the customs desk.  After about 45 minutes, I go to send an e-mail asking for an update.  And at that same moment, I receive an e-mail from the shipper stating "The couriers missed the flight.  They'll be on the next flight tomorrow morning."

WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCKING FUCK.  You ask me for an entry after the flight has already departed, putting me in a spot where I have to haul ass and physically drive into the office on no notice, no time to even take a shower, to make sure your shit goes smoothly.  There's like a dozen e-mails that YOU PARTICIPATED IN making sure all is in order.  And this whole time, the stuff wasn't even on the goddamn plane?!?!?!  Why did you not bother to mention this?????

My response is stern, but not mean.  I explain factually how if this is re-scheduled for tomorrow morning, we need such and such data points provided as soon as possible.  Both of these instances were/will be outside of normal hours, on a weekend, for us and for Customs.  Shit is likely to be fucked up if things aren't arranged in advance.  And these situations are very time-sensitive.  Customs is likely to reject our entry and seize their freight if the work is done last minute.  That today's failure in communication has effects that are damaging to our business.

It's about 3 hours later.  10 pm.  No response whatsoever.  Dead silence.  Now I have to be up at 7 am on a Sunday morning to scramble this last minute shit again.  But I'm also going to be out late driving, because we need the money this week and my friend needs a ride home from work again.

Spoiler: and I'm like... (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121976 on: May 13, 2017, 09:17:33 pm »

After reading our new InfoSec thread, I decided that it may well be a good time to check Windows update...

"Most recent check for updates/last installed updates:  November 2015"

Well, crap.

That's when I upgraded my PC hardware and OS last.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121977 on: May 13, 2017, 09:22:47 pm »

I did the update

now the damn thing is bluescreening.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121978 on: May 14, 2017, 08:30:07 am »

The windows 10 creator update or whatever?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121979 on: May 14, 2017, 08:41:49 am »

Anyone notice that with more modern times we are edging close to really nice looking garbage homes?

Like... No longer do crap homes need to look like crap... but... yeah they are still crap and you know they are?
Pages: 1 ... 8130 8131 [8132] 8133 8134 ... 10974