Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8149 8150 [8151] 8152 8153 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997360 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122250 on: May 20, 2017, 08:43:09 pm »

Earlier, I got $20 cash out at the supermarket along with my purchase of coffee and chocolate.
Then, I completely forgot to wait for the money to dispense. Shit. Not sure if I posted about this before, but in an even bigger WTF this is the second time this has happened to me! I'm normally very switched-on when it comes to getting cash out. I've never forgotten money at an ATM or anything.

Perhaps it's just the classic supermarket vibe, making me desperate to get out of there as soon as possible.
Obviously this also works as a Terrified... the last time this happened, I went back there and was lucky enough for one of the staff to have picked up the money before any other customers could grab it. Who knows if I shall be so lucky twice. At least the place wasn't very crowded this time, so perhaps... I'd really rather I didn't have to go back there so soon, though.
I was planning on having a shower before doing anything. Ugh, so stupid. I'm going to have to stop getting cashout at the self-serve checkout. :-[
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122251 on: May 20, 2017, 08:54:11 pm »

Naming computers is a lot more complex than I first imagined.
Nothing too surprising, but interesting read!
I've been using Homestuck land-names for a while, like LOHAC and... DERSE...  Okay not very consistently.  And as the article points out, such names are actually pretty useless on the rare occasions someone else has needed to type the name.  Fine for when explorer manages to discover the devices on the network...  Which is ludicrously unreliable even here in the far future.

My brother uses gemstones like Lazuli and Sapphire, though that's as far as he's needed.  Also, I learned that they should probably be lowercase, even though that'd look weird since mine are acronyms.  But they also shouldn't be acronyms.

When I was growing up we used last names from Civil War commanders.  Last names are probably a bad idea, but I've never met a "Mosby" or "Longstreet".  "Lee", the file server, might have been a problem in a large office.
...Well, there may have been a different problem with that system in an office setting :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122252 on: May 20, 2017, 09:23:27 pm »

Though, that article is from 1990... I'm not sure how much of the sensibilities are still required.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122253 on: May 20, 2017, 09:26:55 pm »

Earlier, I got $20 cash out at the supermarket along with my purchase of coffee and chocolate.
Then, I completely forgot to wait for the money to dispense. Shit. Not sure if I posted about this before, but in an even bigger WTF this is the second time this has happened to me! I'm normally very switched-on when it comes to getting cash out. I've never forgotten money at an ATM or anything.

Perhaps it's just the classic supermarket vibe, making me desperate to get out of there as soon as possible.
Obviously this also works as a Terrified... the last time this happened, I went back there and was lucky enough for one of the staff to have picked up the money before any other customers could grab it. Who knows if I shall be so lucky twice. At least the place wasn't very crowded this time, so perhaps... I'd really rather I didn't have to go back there so soon, though.
I was planning on having a shower before doing anything. Ugh, so stupid. I'm going to have to stop getting cashout at the self-serve checkout. :-[

Just so you know, ATMs etc have a mechanism to pull the money back in if you don't grab it, then you have to put in a report to your bank, they talk to the ATM's bank, then they talk to the people who have the service contract for that machine (can take a while). If there's a discrepancy in the outlaid money matching your missing money, you're in luck.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #122254 on: May 20, 2017, 09:56:19 pm »

If that supermarket is anything like the one I worked at, there's always a discrepancy.

Then again, perhaps less of an issue with self-service machines, unless the person counting the money at day end or when they put more money in makes a mistake.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122255 on: May 20, 2017, 10:34:54 pm »

Though, that article is from 1990... I'm not sure how much of the sensibilities are still required.
Very.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #122256 on: May 21, 2017, 12:10:00 am »

Very.
Their use of "your child" as an example of a possession was amusing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122257 on: May 21, 2017, 02:15:34 am »

An anime fan of mine linked me to an anime called Ghost Stories.  I am not a particular fan of anime so I agreed to watch like a highlight reel thing on youtube in trade for him paying for lunch next fast food trip.

It was hilarious and I am now watching it on crunchyroll.   Anime is not supposed to be funny, why is this funny.   I actually GET the jokes.  What is wrong with me?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122258 on: May 21, 2017, 02:58:35 am »

If it's the English dub, I will explain. The show is considered to have sucked, and so when it got sent to the US they basically told them. "Screw it, just go wild, do what you want." And so they did, and didn't take themselves the least bit seriously, and it was hilarious. I've never seen the sub so if that's what it is I have no idea.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122259 on: May 21, 2017, 03:04:28 am »

If it's the English dub, I will explain. The show is considered to have sucked, and so when it got sent to the US they basically told them. "Screw it, just go wild, do what you want." And so they did, and didn't take themselves the least bit seriously, and it was hilarious. I've never seen the sub so if that's what it is I have no idea.

I know that Samurai Pizza cats was considered a poor maybe middling anime at best even in Japan.

When it was sent over, however, it was without its Audio. So they had to make up all the lines... And the show was popular, more popular then it ever was.

I find it fascinating when things like this happen.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122260 on: May 21, 2017, 03:58:15 am »

Somewhat related, I recently finished up Disgaea 2's (main) story.  Brief pause of the neat item-world grind.  But this is about the voice acting.

In Disgaea 1, I tried the dubbed Japanese first, and stuck with it for several chapters.  It was really good.  The characters sounded young (as they're depicted, though they're supposedly ancient, #Japan) yet...  imperial.
So when I found the English VA option about halfway in, I literally recoiled in horror and switched back.  Again, I get that they're ""kids"", but the main character just sounds so bratty.

That was several years ago.  With Disgaea 2, I've been switching back and forth.  It doesn't have the same issue as 1 (except certain cameos cough), in fact I like the English VA for some characters significantly more than the Japanese.

Except for the main character...  Sorta.  His English VA isn't *bad*, by any stretch.  The thing is, it's definitely different.  I've rewatched certain pivotal scenes in both languages, and I can tell.  It's like a different story sometimes.  Here's a couple of examples...

*Dramatic development* 
Caption:  "What is happening?"
English voice:  "W-what's happening??"  Confused, brave but concerned.
Japanese:  Low and steady.  Asking for a status report.

I can tell, because sometimes (particularly early) even the Japanese voice freaks out a bit!  But it became very noticeable towards the end.  Both Adell's started as a simple village hero, shouting over their own insecurity.  By the end, the American Adell is still worried about everyone.  Many statements are tinged with worry, or an inclinated "Are you okay?".
The Japanese Adell is obviously more confident.  With the same captioned text, he reassures his allies that they ARE okay.  Even when he explicitly asks, it's severe, a challenge for the ally to give up.  Again, he *started* insecure and worried, in the Japanese.  It's remarkably different at the end.

It's just weird how different the two arcs are, despite having the "same" translated text.  I know *very* little Japanese, but even I noticed some substantial deviations in the Japanese words vs the "translation".  It's like they started at the same place and became two very different characters.

They're both good people, but I like the Japanese interpretation more.  Usually.
I mean there is the time he slaps the magic girl of mysterious power back from an apocalyptic precipice.  That's a little more comfortable when he's apologetic and openly concerned.  But the "Hey.  Stop being crazy." Japanese version is kinda great, too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #122261 on: May 21, 2017, 08:42:29 am »

Watched Saint's Row 2's credits.

Trying to run through the credits faster causes them to appear choppy. Hooray, whoever ported the game to PC couldn't even get that right (or maybe that was a thing on the Xbox too)

Many of the Environment people (those who made the new Stilwater look like the new Stilwater) have a lot of Chinese-sounding names.

And finally, apparently Shogo Akuji was voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, who also voiced characters in...

*looks up Yuri Lowenthal on Wikipedia*

A lot of video games, honestly.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #122262 on: May 21, 2017, 10:04:25 am »

Writing code in something of a haze, not even really thinking about it. I'm not entirely sure what all the parts do, but I'm almost certain the whole thing will work. Feels weird.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122263 on: May 21, 2017, 12:25:14 pm »

Well that completely explains why I love it.  I've been noticing far more meta references and American things in it than I expected, and I was starting to suspect something was unusual there. :P

"Have you heard about the sports festival?"  "Yes, the sports festival, this is what this whole episode is about."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:27:06 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #122264 on: May 21, 2017, 12:26:21 pm »

It's basically an official Abridged Series.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 8149 8150 [8151] 8152 8153 ... 10973