Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8207 8208 [8209] 8210 8211 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13187596 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123120 on: June 13, 2017, 05:31:29 pm »

Ye, loudest country maybe, but certainly not the most racist. A fair bit of places in the middle east and africa would fall into that description way better.

Certainly but I eliminated them... for the sake of not bringing up every despotic nation into this and going "see, the USA isn't anywhere close to bad. So long as we put the worst of the worst in front of them"

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123121 on: June 13, 2017, 05:38:56 pm »

Certainly but I eliminated them...

Neonivek confirmed for genocidal warlord.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123122 on: June 13, 2017, 06:26:54 pm »

Ye, loudest country maybe, but certainly not the most racist. A fair bit of places in the middle east and africa would fall into that description way better.
Okay, let me just say. I love how this, much like the US, casually ignores the existence of south america.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123123 on: June 13, 2017, 06:28:06 pm »

South America, you mean like Georgia and Louisiana area?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123124 on: June 13, 2017, 06:30:08 pm »

Now you're getting into the spirit of american media.

... you might want to get that looked at. I know exorcism is entirely too likely to kill you, but it might be worth the risk.
Ask not!
Ask!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123125 on: June 13, 2017, 06:43:32 pm »

What about south 'murica? Nowadays I'd say south america is on par with north america in regards to actual racism, or even a bit less. Sorry, we have no actual race war akin to hutus vs tutsis or widespread and accepted hatred of jews here.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123126 on: June 13, 2017, 06:47:55 pm »

... y'know, I'd check up on that, but the first thing I looked at had me incredulously saying to the website, "whhhyyy are you so shiiiiit" so I'm going to make like an american and not care, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123127 on: June 13, 2017, 06:50:34 pm »

Certainly but I eliminated them...

Neonivek confirmed for genocidal warlord.

Sometimes I like playing up my role as the forum villain because it helps take my mind off of how mad people are at me all the time.

Because villains are reviled, but people love to hate them. At least the ones with flair : 3

So I'd rather be that :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:55:54 pm by Neonivek »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123128 on: June 13, 2017, 06:53:01 pm »

South America confirmed as worse than genocide. The internet said so, so it must be true.

In other true internet news, nibiru is going out with the queen and producing reptilians through reverse osmosis and beautiful slav girls want to have sex with you for 50 cents.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123129 on: June 13, 2017, 07:04:19 pm »

C'mon man, it wasn't the internet, it was limbaugh. Clearly even more reputable.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123130 on: June 13, 2017, 07:22:37 pm »

The main reason the US gets hit with bad press over racial issues, aside from being the most important country in the world, is that the US is generally associated with the Western world while the American racial makeup is not like that of most Western countries. The best analogue to American race relations is probably South Africa, but people think of the US of being a country like Canada or the UK in all contexts, when it isn't in this one.

And this is what causes people to be all "come on, why is there racism in the US, just don't think about it and pass a bunch of progressive policies like we do". They have the luxury of not thinking about race relations and not having a lot of people who have strong opinions on it, because their nations are much more culturally and racially homogeneous.

This shit isn't so easy in reality, and that's without there being people all over the place who are racially motivated to greater or lesser degrees.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:34:16 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123131 on: June 13, 2017, 07:30:02 pm »

One of the reasons that the US has such a nasty racial issue is that the US was one of the few nations that kept slaves at home. While many of the nations of Europe participated in the African slave trade, they mostly confined such activities to the colonies for various reasons - not least of which was that the more profitable slave-crops grew better in colonial regions than they did in Europe. Thus, when the practice was abolished in the 18th and 19th centuries, there was much less of the population involved in the bad blood.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123132 on: June 13, 2017, 08:09:40 pm »

What about south 'murica? Nowadays I'd say south america is on par with north america in regards to actual racism, or even a bit less. Sorry, we have no actual race war akin to hutus vs tutsis or widespread and accepted hatred of jews here.
It depends a lot on the country, SA being a big place, and on the region too for the bigger ones. I can only speak of my own country, of course.

Yeah, there's racism, but it shows up differently from the US. Not as open, for sure. Which doesn't mean better. Miscegenation is not as much of a big deal as in the US because of the way the Portuguese handled colonization (marry the natives for alliances) compared to how the English did it (kept apart, due to being puritans).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123133 on: June 13, 2017, 08:10:14 pm »

Britain didn't need slaves, they had the Irish. They had too many underclass and had to export them (first to America then to Australia when that deal fell through). D'ya think they would be in the business of importing more slaves in that situation? Nope.

Seriously though, the UK had the class system and sort-of feudal arrangements right up through to the Edwardian era, with live-in servant's in the "servants quarters" who were basically not a whole lot above a slave caste.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:12:23 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123134 on: June 13, 2017, 08:17:17 pm »

Britain didn't need slaves, they had the Irish. They had too many underclass and had to export them (first to America then to Australia when that deal fell through). D'ya think they would be in the business of importing more slaves in that situation? Nope.

Seriously though, the UK had the class system and sort-of feudal arrangements right up through to the Edwardian era, with live-in servant's in the "servants quarters" who were basically not a whole lot above a slave caste.

After researching what Life in Servants had to do BEFORE rampant Industrialization...

YEAH they were slaves in just about everyway. Even if they weren't "Technically" slaves, their treatment was equal to that of slaves.
Pages: 1 ... 8207 8208 [8209] 8210 8211 ... 10983