Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8209 8210 [8211] 8212 8213 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997709 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123150 on: June 13, 2017, 10:15:57 pm »

32 degrees isn't hot at all you wimps.
Finally, someone gets it. I regularly face 40+ temperatures in summer, easily getting past 45 and sometimes peaking at 50. 32 ain't nothing.

Pfft. I imagine you think sub-10 is too cold.
It's so cold it might as well be a crime.

Temperature? Live with 80-90% humidity and then come talk.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123151 on: June 13, 2017, 10:20:32 pm »

https://timeline.com/boontling-language-boonville-cc765109e201

You see, Boonville residents had invented their own secret language, called Boontling, around the turn of the 20th century. By the time Carson heard about it, the language contained some 1,600 words built around English syntax. For instance:

Boontling: “The crazeek eeld’m hooted and charlied at the bollnesses branching at the hob.”
The area’s remoteness partially explains how the Boontling language came to be, and why it remained local. But how the dialect grew — to the point it was taught at the local elementary school — is owed entirely to the peculiarities of the town itself.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123152 on: June 14, 2017, 12:09:36 am »

Main pay was probably in room and board.

Might be part of the reason live in servants aren't around anymore.  If you own your property allowing someone else to use a few rooms is essentially free.  Once electric comes around though suddenly there is a cost associated with keeping that space lit that you can't easily just throw aside as 'buy your own candles Jeeves.'
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #123153 on: June 14, 2017, 01:33:02 am »

32 degrees isn't hot at all you wimps.
Finally, someone gets it. I regularly face 40+ temperatures in summer, easily getting past 45 and sometimes peaking at 50. 32 ain't nothing.

Pfft. I imagine you think sub-10 is too cold.
It's so cold it might as well be a crime.

Teneb is Brazillian, I don't doubt they do. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123154 on: June 14, 2017, 02:43:13 am »

Idly browsing SNES games on Ebay (I've reached the point in my collection where games worth buying are ludicrously expensive, so my best bet is finding a decent bundle where the good game wasn't noticed), and came across a listing that just blew my mind. $239.99 for 57 copies of Madden. The same seller has numerous other similar listings, which leads me to suspect that this is their method of unloading the games nobody wants.

This would make sense, given that the shells can be reused for repro carts or to replace broken shells for other games, except for one minor detail. Sports games for retro consoles (with a few exceptions) have very little market appeal (due to a combination of obsolete mechanics and ancient rosters) that they can often be had for a quarter each.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123155 on: June 14, 2017, 03:00:36 am »

Hm, I'd have thought old sports rosters would be intriguing as a historical record. Maybe a certain player was only a member of a team for a brief period and made it into a game that happened to be released at the same time. I suppose only if the player was well regarded and of particular note.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123156 on: June 14, 2017, 03:45:07 am »

The rise of 3D printing would also make the use of old shells only for nostalgic reasons. One can manufacture a shell in any novelty design, as long as the business end of the cartridge lines up with the slot, and do so very inexpensively. If you use the right materials, (Like ABS), you can even make it smooth and shiny. (see also, vapor smoothing.)

I suppose that with certain sports titles, you also get the NVRAM chip and battery, as long as the NVRAM is suitably sized...  That means programmed eeprom replacements on the game's PCB would be a thing.

Outside of selling DeJap'ed RGP titles that never got sold in some markets as bootlegs, I would think that the best economy is still one of those super piracy/developer carts though. The kind that have a full FPGA in them attached to the cartridge bus, and can do ANY title, even those with special CPUs.

But that's a dangerous flirtation with ban-worthy territory.

Hell, with a 3D printer, you could make a custom shell with signal cutoff for one of those super cartridges so it can live on the EXT port on the bottom, with a load resistor based disconnect, so that when a real cartridge is plugged into the top, it uses that instead.  I would think that would be much more interesting than re-purposing old Madden carts.

(The EXT port is basically the same bus interconnect as the cartridge slot. It was engineered in as the means to attach the vaporware CD drive to the system, and was never used. Theoretically, a few load resistors and some straight line traces to another card socket at a 90 degree bend would let you install a recessed cartridge that would get loaded if the cartridge slot on top did not have a cart inserted-- OR, even be a place to put a live cartridge dumper or cheating device. The design of the SNES exposed the full memory and IO interface, because it was intended to upgrade the SNES with the very cartridge you plugged in, if you needed custom processors and the like. That's how SuperFX and pals work. Theoretically, you could put ANY cart on such an adapter, but I think one of the super pirate cards would be the most beneficial.)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:54:53 am by wierd »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123157 on: June 14, 2017, 06:11:39 am »

I do, as a matter of fact.

Idly browsing SNES games on Ebay (I've reached the point in my collection where games worth buying are ludicrously expensive, so my best bet is finding a decent bundle where the good game wasn't noticed), and came across a listing that just blew my mind. $239.99 for 57 copies of Madden. The same seller has numerous other similar listings, which leads me to suspect that this is their method of unloading the games nobody wants.

This would make sense, given that the shells can be reused for repro carts or to replace broken shells for other games, except for one minor detail. Sports games for retro consoles (with a few exceptions) have very little market appeal (due to a combination of obsolete mechanics and ancient rosters) that they can often be had for a quarter each.
You don't understand, man. Those are vintage. /s
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123158 on: June 14, 2017, 09:28:40 am »

The rise of 3D printing would also make the use of old shells only for nostalgic reasons. One can manufacture a shell in any novelty design, as long as the business end of the cartridge lines up with the slot, and do so very inexpensively. If you use the right materials, (Like ABS), you can even make it smooth and shiny. (see also, vapor smoothing.)

I suppose that with certain sports titles, you also get the NVRAM chip and battery, as long as the NVRAM is suitably sized...  That means programmed eeprom replacements on the game's PCB would be a thing.

Outside of selling DeJap'ed RGP titles that never got sold in some markets as bootlegs, I would think that the best economy is still one of those super piracy/developer carts though. The kind that have a full FPGA in them attached to the cartridge bus, and can do ANY title, even those with special CPUs.

But that's a dangerous flirtation with ban-worthy territory.

Hypothetically speaking, even somebody that owned such a cart might find them a poor substitute for owning an actual cartridge of the desired games, either for practical reasons or because collecting is more than just being able to play the game.

Apart from that, the use of the circuit boards is a solid enough point, but the fact remains that the bundle in question overcharges for the cartridges in question.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123159 on: June 14, 2017, 01:45:20 pm »

You know... I wonder if the main character from Mass Effect is supposed to be Jesus.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123160 on: June 14, 2017, 01:51:31 pm »

You know... I wonder if the main character from Mass Effect is supposed to be Jesus.
Metaphorically, or like The Man from Earth?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123161 on: June 14, 2017, 01:54:27 pm »

Metaphorically, or like The Man from Earth?

Metaphorically.

I mean his name is Biblical... and he did come back to life... and he is the savior of the galaxy...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123162 on: June 14, 2017, 01:58:51 pm »

And he gathers 12 disciples in 2. I'm pretty sure the symbolism was intentional.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123163 on: June 14, 2017, 03:37:08 pm »

I have a tree thorn stuck in my hand like a splinter. ow, trying to remove it, ow x100.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123164 on: June 14, 2017, 03:38:02 pm »

Make sure to remove all of it. Festering splinters can be a real pain.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 8209 8210 [8211] 8212 8213 ... 10973