Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8304 8305 [8306] 8307 8308 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13196277 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124575 on: July 24, 2017, 01:19:59 pm »

Good god that fridge thing is familiar.  My family used to have a few rental properties (we have since sold them) and one of our renters was really stingy with his power bill.  He had turned off almost everything for the duration of his tenanthood, we didn't think much of it, after all all he did was turn off a few breakers, turn off the AC, unplug a few appliances and take the light bulbs out and store them in the back room.

Until we got to the fridge.  That was hellish, what we assumed were maggots.  We cleaned it out as best we could but there was clearly still some problems in the vents that we just could not clean. We couldn't imagine using a fridge with a persistent bad smell that could stick on the food, so we just kept the security deposit and bought a new fridge.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124576 on: July 24, 2017, 01:24:38 pm »

Just be careful setting fridges on fire. Depending on the cooling liquid used, it's either going to do nothing spectacular, give of noxious fumes, or explode. Remeber that fire in the London highrise appartment that started with the cooling liquid of a fridge exploding?

The Grenfell (sp?) fire? I don't remember reading anything about the cause of that one.

Also, depending on the fluid, there may be certain regulations in how you're supposed to get rid of it.

Also, if the refrigerator motor crapped out within a year, either the refrigerator was a cheap crappy one or the homeowner was using it as an AC.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:26:39 pm by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #124577 on: July 24, 2017, 01:38:28 pm »

The fire started in a Hotpoint fridge freezer, but police said it was not started deliberately.
Footage has shown the fire spreading up one side of the building externally, before engulfing the entire block.
Downing Street ordered immediate testing of the fridge freezer that was involved.
Owners of a white Hotpoint fridge freezer model number FF175BP or graphite fridge freezer model number FF175BG should ring 0800 316 3826 or visit the Hotpoint website.
Yep grenfell started with a fridge fire

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124578 on: July 24, 2017, 01:40:17 pm »

The fire started in a Hotpoint fridge freezer, but police said it was not started deliberately.
Footage has shown the fire spreading up one side of the building externally, before engulfing the entire block.
Downing Street ordered immediate testing of the fridge freezer that was involved.
Owners of a white Hotpoint fridge freezer model number FF175BP or graphite fridge freezer model number FF175BG should ring 0800 316 3826 or visit the Hotpoint website.
Yep grenfell started with a fridge fire

'Hotpoint' is such an ironic name here....

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124579 on: July 24, 2017, 02:08:50 pm »

I don't think it was the coolant that caused that fire but a short circuit.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124580 on: July 24, 2017, 02:10:32 pm »

Sweet bloody fuck.
-FRIDGE OF NURGLE, HALLOWED OF DECAY, MAY MAGGOTS SQUIRM FOREVER THROUGH ITS DISEASED CREVICES-
Motherfucker I literally gagged reading this shit. I concur with the "set it on fire" plan. I mean, even if you get it cleaned, can you ever be sure you got all the maggots out of all the tubing and shit? Can one ever get rid of the smell? Clearly, the only solution is to tape it shut, seal it with insulation foam, pile firewood on top of it, sprinkle liberally with gasoline-styrofoam mix and set the whole fucking thing ablaze.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124581 on: July 24, 2017, 02:16:00 pm »

Sweet bloody fuck.
-FRIDGE OF NURGLE, HALLOWED OF DECAY, MAY MAGGOTS SQUIRM FOREVER THROUGH ITS DISEASED CREVICES-
Motherfucker I literally gagged reading this shit. I concur with the "set it on fire" plan. I mean, even if you get it cleaned, can you ever be sure you got all the maggots out of all the tubing and shit? Can one ever get rid of the smell? Clearly, the only solution is to tape it shut, seal it with insulation foam, pile firewood on top of it, sprinkle liberally with gasoline-styrofoam mix and set the whole fucking thing ablaze.

If the fridge itself is made of metal, then all you'd do is cook whatever is inside it. Not to mention an unknown reaction with whatever the coolant is, which itself may need special treatment.

I'd probably contact the local hazardous waste office and ask what to do with it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #124582 on: July 24, 2017, 02:35:09 pm »

Not that I'm not a huge fan of burning that horrible mess to the ground - indeed it was the only thing on my mind as I stumbled through that description - but I'd like to concur with asking the nearest place specializing in hazardous waste if they have a recommendation. Surely this has happened before, and someone had to figure out how to handle that, so maybe there is some sort of protocol in place for this. I would google it but frankly I'm terrified google will give m a description or pictures, and my life would be immensely improved by not witnessing either

Failing that, I would drive it out into the nearest applicable desert, tape it shut with a "DO NOT OPEN" letter on the front, and speed home. Let nature sort it out. Burning it and/or exercising it in the name of the Emperor is optional.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #124583 on: July 24, 2017, 02:40:13 pm »

Somebody seems to be trying to break into my Minecraft and Microsoft accounts, given that I am getting several (valid, as far as I can tell) password reset emails each day. There's no evidence of success, and no indication that my email security has been breached (as Gmail is very good about sending "NEW LOGIN!!!!" messages), so there doesn't seem to be any action I need to take, but it is somewhat disconcerting.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124584 on: July 24, 2017, 02:40:59 pm »

Somebody seems to be trying to break into my Minecraft and Microsoft accounts, given that I am getting several (valid, as far as I can tell) password reset emails each day. There's no evidence of success, and no indication that my email security has been breached (as Gmail is very good about sending "NEW LOGIN!!!!" messages), so there doesn't seem to be any action I need to take, but it is somewhat disconcerting.

Should report it to like, I dunno, Microsoft tech support? I don't know who you'd call. Maybe they can change your username.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124585 on: July 24, 2017, 03:39:22 pm »

I would google it but frankly I'm terrified google will give m a description or pictures, and my life would be immensely improved by not witnessing either
That was my first thought, actually. Google is surprisingly unhelpful about what to do with a fridge what insides are encrusted in maggot. Like, there's stuff on what to do if the power died while on vacation and you come back to a week or two's worth of thaw? Plenty of that, but that I already knew how to deal with and have dealt with before. Shit's nasty, but it's easy modo nasty shit in comparison and I couldn't find the right combination of keywords for google-sensei to teach me about 1-life hard mode fridge cleaning.

Didn't think about the whole coolant thing, though. Kinda' assumed anything that might have been in there like that was gone, I think. Explosion could have been bad, heh. On one hand, the specific property might be improved by burning to the ground... good bit of the neighborhood, really.* On the other hand, some of my family are the property's neighbors and I don't dislike them nearly enough for accidental (or "accidental") immolation.

Will see about checking with the nearest hazardous waste handlers, methinks. The CDC website was annoyingly hard to get something useful to pop out. It's almost like someone failing to empty a fridge when it breaks down, and then leaving it in florida heat (inside and outside, iirc) for, like. A month and change. Isn't terribly common.

* And not haha joke funny, I'm talking literally improved value if the building on the land was gone :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124586 on: July 24, 2017, 03:57:29 pm »

If you HAVE to burn it, I would suggest drilling holes in it (at places where the coolant is if you can find out/already know, in random areas if not) and collecting the coolant in buckets, because I can't imagine that stuff does good in the ground/water (because rain)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124587 on: July 24, 2017, 04:02:42 pm »

I'm confused at just how Origin is so awful, and I test terrible software for a living.
The games don't run, which seems to be a bit of a downside on a, you know, game platform.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124588 on: July 24, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »

If you HAVE to burn it, I would suggest drilling holes in it (at places where the coolant is if you can find out/already know, in random areas if not) and collecting the coolant in buckets, because I can't imagine that stuff does good in the ground/water (because rain)

Oorrrr... you could just have someone who knows how to handle the stuff deal with it.

I'm confused at just how Origin is so awful, and I test terrible software for a living.
The games don't run, which seems to be a bit of a downside on a, you know, game platform.

Isn't Origin closer in function to Steam? Not surprised it's awful, since EA.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124589 on: July 24, 2017, 04:08:26 pm »

Heh, the fridge story reminds me of a guy who got work with a morgue as one of their retrieval/clean up guys and posted some stories of the more notable incidents over on giantitp a few years ago. Sadly that thread got locked after a few weeks when people started posting photos of decay and injuries and things when sharing their own stories, it was quite interesting before that.

Basically the guy's job was to go to places with dead bodies and collect them. Him, a partner and a van with the appropriate bits for handling corpses. Picked up people who died in their beds, in accidents or in criminal cases, then took them to a morgue and did the basic clean up required before sticking them in a cooler and signing them off. That fridge sounds like what happened with a few of the advanced decomp cases he described.

The original telling was better, but sadly I think those tales have been lost to the sands of time.

Anyway, I'd suggest drenching it in a few buckets of diluted bleach, hosing it down extremely well, preferably with a powerhose while wearing eye and mouth protection to avoid getting any rotten gunk in your soft tissues where it can get you sick. Then haul the thing to a dump that can dispose of it properly. If the bulk of the insides is covered in contaminants it's more effort than it's worth to clean it to the point it's not going to smell and be a biohazard, so a courtesy wash for the poor saps who need to break it down and drain the coolant and then a heave ho into the trash heap is probably the best plan.

In concurrence with everyone else though, do not set fire to a fridge with coolant in it. There might be a risk of a pressure explosion from it since coolant boils easily, and shrapnel is unpleasant, but I'm not sure of the pressure the coolant is normally under and what the pipes can withstand. Coolant should be properly disposed of, it's just a good habit to have, though it's not particularly toxic these days and modern coolant is not as big an environmental hazard as the freon stuff was.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 8304 8305 [8306] 8307 8308 ... 10984