Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8355 8356 [8357] 8358 8359 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996415 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #125340 on: August 13, 2017, 08:43:52 am »

Weren't the KKK at least originally the good guys? At least as "Good" as any group could be.

Or is that a myth? Or is it complicated?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125341 on: August 13, 2017, 08:46:45 am »

Weren't the KKK at least originally the good guys? At least as "Good" as any group could be.

In the movie? yes that was the intention. but in real life they were and are just a bunch of racists.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125342 on: August 13, 2017, 08:50:00 am »

Oh god no. Jesus Christ no. There aren't enough ways to say no to the idea that the Klan were ever "the good guys". It's even worse than the "states' rights" bullshit.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125343 on: August 13, 2017, 08:51:55 am »

Actually there is a far more painful place for men (and possibly women) to be scratched by a cat. Also be careful when holding a baby close to your face in case they headbutt you just under the nose (my mother found this out the hard way when I was a baby).
The spirit of Armok runs true in this one.
One wheel short of a wagon

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #125344 on: August 13, 2017, 09:47:28 am »

I looked it up on Wikipedia, knowing nothing about their origin beyond "something something post-Confederate South".

The first summation of the first klan seems pretty generous with their reasons for formation:

The first Klan was founded in Pulaski, Tennessee, sometime between December 1865 and August 1866 by six former officers of the Confederate army[23] as a fraternal social club inspired at least in part by the then largely defunct Sons of Malta. It borrowed parts of the initiation ceremony from that group, with the same purpose: "ludicrous initiations, the baffling of public curiosity, and the amusement for members were the only objects of the Klan", according to Albert Stevens in 1907.[24] The name is probably derived from the Greek word kuklos (κύκλος) which means circle;[25] the word had previously been used for other fraternal organizations in the South such as Kuklos Adelphon. The manual of rituals was printed by Laps D. McCord of Pulaski.[26]

According to The Cyclopædia of Fraternities (1907), "Beginning in April, 1867, there was a gradual transformation ... The members had conjured up a veritable Frankenstein. They had played with an engine of power and mystery, though organized on entirely innocent lines, and found themselves overcome by a belief that something must lie behind it all—that there was, after all, a serious purpose, a work for the Klan to do."

(Do note that the guy Stevens being quoted in 1907 which is like right before the kkk comes back into style after decades of non activity)

However the more in depth article on the first generation makes it clear that just within a year or two they were terrorizing and murdering very large amounts of people:
"Armed guerrilla warfare killed thousands of Negroes; political riots were staged; their causes or occasions were always obscure, their results always certain: ten to one hundred times as many Negroes were killed as whites." Masked men shot into houses and burned them, sometimes with the occupants still inside. They drove successful black farmers off their land.
"Generally, it can be reported that in North and South Carolina, in 18 months ending in June 1867, there were 197 murders and 548 cases of aggravated assault
Klan violence worked to suppress black voting, and campaign seasons were deadly. More than 2,000 people were killed, wounded and otherwise injured in Louisiana within a few weeks prior to the Presidential election of November 1868

Which is an awful short time to turn from one jokey fake secret brotherhood to a very large amount of independent violent associations under the kkk umbrella.

So if we're being as generous as we can be without being disearnest we have a situation where a possibly jokey fake secret brotherhood (which in itself was appatently in the fashion back then, along with non-jokey secret brotherhoods, so that isn't exactly the unusual thing about it) started for non-political reasons, which is immediately transformed by the people invited into it (and by people hearing of it and sfarting their own klans) into a very non-jokey secret society with very obvious intent on influencing and shaping the South through violent and murderous means.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125345 on: August 13, 2017, 09:54:51 am »

Thanks a ton Scriver!

So yeah they were PRETTY MUCH always douches... and in fact were kind of worst then, then they are now.

I only know that ONE group which is infamos for villainy today... started out either not THAT bad or were a force for ambiguous good. I just can't remember what group that was.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #125346 on: August 13, 2017, 11:19:42 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't "Birth of a Nation" some kind of a hidden mockery of white nationalism? Because if it isn't, then the Russian TV/mass media somehow managed to went from "Worse than Fox News" to "Majority-pandering far-right shitshow"...
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125347 on: August 13, 2017, 11:25:52 am »

Thanks a ton Scriver!

So yeah they were PRETTY MUCH always douches... and in fact were kind of worst then, then they are now.

I only know that ONE group which is infamos for villainy today... started out either not THAT bad or were a force for ambiguous good. I just can't remember what group that was.

PETA? though not so much infamous for villany as being infamous for being douches. There's probably lots of examples of groups that started out with good intentions and then went bad for various reasons.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #125348 on: August 13, 2017, 11:43:10 am »

iirc there was exactly one time where the KKK were the good guys
If i remember the story right, a self-professed 'moderate' branch of the KKK stood between the funeral of a black soldier and the westboro baptist church
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125349 on: August 13, 2017, 11:46:04 am »

That could be interpreted in two different ways though.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #125350 on: August 13, 2017, 11:50:18 am »

That could be interpreted in two different ways though.
Westboro was trying to picket the funeral, as they do, but the kkk was actively holding them back so that the funeral could proceed uninterrupted

My game giveaway

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #125351 on: August 13, 2017, 12:05:25 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't "Birth of a Nation" some kind of a hidden mockery of white nationalism? Because if it isn't, then the Russian TV/mass media somehow managed to went from "Worse than Fox News" to "Majority-pandering far-right shitshow"...

Well having seen it, I wouldn't say there was any mockery to that picture. It was just blatantly pandering to racist stereotypes about black people (which didn't change much since 1915, apparently).

It also said in the credit roll that it it was based on Thomas Dixon's "The Clansman", which I haven't read.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125352 on: August 13, 2017, 08:15:18 pm »

I be shopkeepin' today. 'Tis stressful indeed.
Hit me up if you want to buy some antique furniture, hippy and/or retro clothes, bric-a-brac or a variety of books ranging from poetry to boring-ass non-fiction to batshit crazy self-help voodoo. Half this crap ain't priced because the people who actually own the store are freakin' useless, and sadly I am not authorised to pull prices out of my arse in such cases, so who knows if whatever catches your eye is actually available for purchase or not. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #125353 on: August 13, 2017, 10:24:39 pm »

I be shopkeepin' today. 'Tis stressful indeed.
Hit me up if you want to buy some antique furniture, hippy and/or retro clothes, bric-a-brac or a variety of books ranging from poetry to boring-ass non-fiction to batshit crazy self-help voodoo. Half this crap ain't priced because the people who actually own the store are freakin' useless, and sadly I am not authorised to pull prices out of my arse in such cases, so who knows if whatever catches your eye is actually available for purchase or not. ::)

Does antique furniture include a VHS player? I recently procured some old Godzilla movies only to discover that I had nothing to play them on.

My game giveaway

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #125354 on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:04 pm »

Those are rather easy to get. Any thrift store should have a dozen or so of the things lying around.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 8355 8356 [8357] 8358 8359 ... 10973