Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8376 8377 [8378] 8379 8380 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13153224 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #125655 on: August 20, 2017, 03:30:09 am »

Sprinting is higher... You go 4x speed so it would be 22km/h when sprinting OR even faster if they have the Run feat.

Double Move isn't Sprinting, it is careful running.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125656 on: August 20, 2017, 03:55:06 am »

It's technically "hustling", in 3.5e.  In 5th edition it's "dashing".

So sometime "today" (it's almost 5AM) a bunch of workers are going to come in and replace all my windows.  I have to move everything 3ft away from all windows, including my bed.  I "won't be allowed" to be in my apartment during that time.  That time technically being...  "in the next 48-72" according to a notice posted on my door in the morning.  They couldn't just say Sunday, nooo.  Hell I'm technically supposed to be out in 2-3 hours.

I'm sorta freaking out, though mostly by staying up all night and procrastinating the last bits of clean-up.  Trying to do it all quietly.  48 hour notice, though, before they violate my privacy all to shit!  Change up my home, and I'm literally not allowed to watch!  They even had the gall to tell me to "remove my valuables" so they won't get "damaged".  I work from home, dipshits, and do you expect me to put my desktop in my car while I make myself scarce or whatever?

Godsdamn this is frustrating, and so out of the blue.  It's been almost a year since they even replaced the air filter, which was uncomfortable enough for me.  Fuuuuck...  I was already planning on moving, but I'm a hell of a lot less conflicted about it now!

I almost wasn't even *here* day before yesterday.  If I'd stayed with my mom, they might have let themselves into my unkempt apartment.  Imagine finishing the 3.5 hour drive only for some workers to say "sorry, you can't enter your home, go away"

K, enough procrastinating for now

Edit:  Seriously though fuck that 48-72 hours bit, when there's no way to know exactly when the notice was posted.  Just say "sometime Sunday between 9AM and 7PM", I understand they don't know exactly, but they at least know whether they're starting the row at 6 or 9 or noon or fuuuuuuuck.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:01:12 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125657 on: August 20, 2017, 06:13:49 am »

Yes, 5.0E.

But just now, I realised something. When you move using your move action, you still have time to stand there and cast spells or swing your weapon (possibly several times).

So, perhaps you are normaly moving at 30ft/3s, that being 11km/h, and when you use your standard action to dash, you just use the time for using your weapon to run some more.

Though then you should be able to convert your move action to a standard action, so I do not know.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125658 on: August 20, 2017, 06:19:02 am »

Implication is you do it while moving or "as part of a movement"

It is kind of like saying if a plane didn't fly it could shoot twice as many missiles.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125659 on: August 20, 2017, 06:26:03 am »

The thing is, not all the standard actions can be done as part of movement.

For example, a level 20 fighter can move and swing his sword 4 times in the same round. Now, he could do his first swing as a part of his movement, but until he has stopped and hit his target, he can not do the next 3.

Edit: Let us not forget his 2 action surges, which he could use to swing his sword total of 12 times.

But he could also use them to run 120ft. 1MA + 3SA
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:31:13 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #125660 on: August 20, 2017, 06:49:02 am »

Even better, he can do the same with a heavy crossbow if he has the right feat, a heavy crossbow that would logically require him to stop in his tracks to reload...
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125661 on: August 20, 2017, 02:20:35 pm »

Oh man I am too used to pathfinder
Full attack actions on the move? What is this sorcery?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #125662 on: August 20, 2017, 02:38:55 pm »

Yeah no one ever picks snap shot over squadsight.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125663 on: August 20, 2017, 02:41:47 pm »

Oh man I am too used to pathfinder
Full attack actions on the move? What is this sorcery?
It's weird from a 3.5e perspective too...  Also, it's completely fluid!  With a speed of 30ft and 3 attacks, you can distribute those attacks however you choose in during those 30ft of movement.  You could move 10 feet, attack twice, then move another 20 and attack the third time.
http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementandPosition.htm
(Sorry Mathel)

So everyone basically has the spring/flyby attack feats, except even more powerful.  Not to mention getting all attacks every round despite moving more than 5ft.  It's... interesting, it was sometimes difficult to pull off a full attack in 3.5e when people kept moving away.  Of course, there were many solutions.

Anyway there *is* no move action, anymore.  In fact there are ONLY standard actions, period!  Normally just one per round, though the fighter can "action surge" for 1 or 2 extra (between short rests).
A "dash" action adds your base speed to your speed for the round...  Essentially like a "double move" in 3.5 would be, though you can stack more on with action surges.
Hiding is just an action, so I see no reason a fighter can't move their full speed to an enemy... hide...  then use an action surge to sneak attack.
Full attacking is also a repeatable action, which is how you get 12 attacks in a round (amidst moving your base speed, and using up 2 action surges on full-attack actions).

I guess I can see it working, it's just much more generous to melee than 3.5e is.  About time maybe, heh...  Scary though.

Edit:  Returning to the original question, though, there's really no equivalent of running.  "Dashing" is equivalent to using both move actions to hustle in 3.5e, moving you at double speed.  Running for 3x-5x speed, for up to a minute or 2, if you aren't fatigued?  That's just not a thing.  A top-level fighter can use up both healing surges to dash three times in a round, for 4x speed, but that's ONE round before they need to recharge with a rest.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 02:44:32 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #125664 on: August 20, 2017, 03:29:29 pm »

It's weird from a 3.5e perspective too...  Also, it's completely fluid!  With a speed of 30ft and 3 attacks, you can distribute those attacks however you choose in during those 30ft of movement.  You could move 10 feet, attack twice, then move another 20 and attack the third time.

So everyone basically has the spring/flyby attack feats, except even more powerful.
Note that moving away from an opponent's reach without spending an action to disengage provokes an opportunity attack, so combat tactics often involve literally running circles around your opponent(s) rather than away from then.

In fact there are ONLY standard actions, period!  Normally just one per round, though the fighter can "action surge" for 1 or 2 extra (between short rests).
You also get a bonus action, an object interaction and a reaction every round. Bonus actions are used for specific abilities such as attacking with an off-hand weapon, casting some spells, going into a barbarian's rage and so on. Object interactions are for things like (un)sheathing weapons, drinking potions, flipping tables for cover and so on, basically things that don't have a specific action but which can logically be done without much effort or thought. Reactions are used for opportunity attacks and such; remembering that you only get one per round is quite important.

Hiding is just an action, so I see no reason a fighter can't move their full speed to an enemy... hide...  then use an action surge to sneak attack.
Yes, though attacking from stealth only grants advantage on your first attack if you're not a rogue. It's generally smarter to use both the normal action and the action surge to attack for more potential hits on the target. Also, the armours most fighters wear apply disadvantage to stealth rolls.

Full attacking is also a repeatable action, which is how you get 12 attacks in a round (amidst moving your base speed, and using up 2 action surges on full-attack actions).
You can't use more than one action surge per round, and you only get two at a ridiculously high level anyway. Either way, the many attacks per round are there so that martial classes remain powerful into the high levels and don't have to stand back while the casters do their thing.

Edit:  Returning to the original question, though, there's really no equivalent of running.  "Dashing" is equivalent to using both move actions to hustle in 3.5e, moving you at double speed.  Running for 3x-5x speed, for up to a minute or 2, if you aren't fatigued?  That's just not a thing.
There are chase rules in the DMG, though chases are handled separately from combat encounters. The rules let you dash up to 3+CON modifier times per turn, after which you can keep rolling CON checks, dashing again on a success and taking a level of exhaustion on a fail.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125665 on: August 20, 2017, 03:46:13 pm »

So everyone basically has the spring/flyby attack feats, except even more powerful.
Note that moving away from an opponent's reach without spending an action to disengage provokes an opportunity attack, so combat tactics often involve literally running circles around your opponent(s) rather than away from then.
Right, right!  That doesn't work in 3.5e (or PF I think) since you provoke whenever you leave a provoked square - not a provoked zone.  But they deliberately changed it, very weird!  So much for Combat Reflexes... eh, we had bad experiences with a trip-reach character though to be fair.
In fact there are ONLY standard actions, period!  Normally just one per round, though the fighter can "action surge" for 1 or 2 extra (between short rests).
You also get a bonus action, an object interaction and a reaction every round. Bonus actions are used for specific abilities such as attacking with an off-hand weapon, casting some spells, going into a barbarian's rage and so on. Object interactions are for things like (un)sheathing weapons, drinking potions, flipping tables for cover and so on, basically things that don't have a specific action but which can logically be done without much effort or thought. Reactions are used for opportunity attacks and such; remembering that you only get one per round is quite important.
Ah, okay.  I got confused by the Use an Object standard action I guess.  It does mention that interacting with objects "such as when you draw a sword as part of an attack" doesn't take the standard action, but maybe that's an interaction action instead.
Yes, though attacking from stealth only grants advantage on your first attack if you're not a rogue. It's generally smarter to use both the normal action and the action surge to attack for more potential hits on the target. Also, the armours most fighters wear apply disadvantage to stealth rolls.
Makes sense, didn't really seem OP.  Seems like there's cheaper ways to get "advantage" (barf).
You can't use more than one action surge per round, and you only get two at a ridiculously high level anyway. Either way, the many attacks per round are there so that martial classes remain powerful into the high levels and don't have to stand back while the casters do their thing.
Good to know, and using them both up on 1 turn seemed excessive anyway.  Like you say, it's near-epic level.
Edit:  Returning to the original question, though, there's really no equivalent of running.  "Dashing" is equivalent to using both move actions to hustle in 3.5e, moving you at double speed.  Running for 3x-5x speed, for up to a minute or 2, if you aren't fatigued?  That's just not a thing.
There are chase rules in the DMG, though chases are handled separately from combat encounters. The rules let you dash up to 3+CON modifier times per turn, after which you can keep rolling CON checks, dashing again on a success and taking a level of exhaustion on a fail.
Fairly similar to 3.5e in that way, then.  Just can't run as much "in combat", which I guess is fair...  It already wasn't possible over any rough terrain, and tended to end up off even our large roll20 maps very quickly.

Thanks for the explanations- like I mentioned, I'm trying to understand the differences for an upcoming campaign (:
While I feel like it goes too far occasionally, I appreciate most of the streamlining compared to 3.5.
She/they

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #125666 on: August 20, 2017, 09:26:12 pm »

I apparently really don't care for the Beatles. Sitting through an hour and a half of their music is apparently quite dull, the sole interest point being someone doing things to a violin that I'm not sure are actually possible.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #125667 on: August 20, 2017, 09:44:35 pm »

The Beatles are essentially just a popular boy band. They have some pretty good songs, but they also have a lot of crap, especially once Lennon's head began to swell. Although they did provide the finest vision of Hell I've seen in any media.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125668 on: August 20, 2017, 09:49:30 pm »

I don't think the Beatles ever used the violin, to my knowledge.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #125669 on: August 20, 2017, 09:53:24 pm »

Context would be useful methinks: it was at an Irish festival, and they were performing the songs with a Celtic twist, so fiddling, bagpipes, and banjos were involved.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 8376 8377 [8378] 8379 8380 ... 10981