Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8454 8455 [8456] 8457 8458 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13178430 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126825 on: September 20, 2017, 01:02:51 pm »

That isn't entirely true. The earliest generation of "guided" missiles had to fly slow enough that the operator could steer them, and thus were fairly dodgeable. Such weapons are wholly obsolete in most armies, but still show up from time to time in backwater conflicts.

You're correct regarding any modern missile system, of course.
I mean if you were literally looking directly at the launch of a TOW missile and you instantly recognized the threat and what you needed to do you could probably get to cover, if not get on target and suppress or knock out the emplacement, before the impact but that's the closest realistic example I can think of.
You're thinking too new. I was referring to missiles such as the earliest versions of the AT-3 Sagger, which has a flight speed of about 115 m/s (~400 kilometers an hour). At the ranges such missiles are used at, this is a pathetically slow speed - the TOW (also no speed demon as far as missiles go) clocks in at over 300 m/s, and the ease of dodging it is the primary reason it only had about a 20% hit chance in actual combat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126826 on: September 20, 2017, 05:02:37 pm »

Err... Are we talking air targets or ground targets? And if the latter, infantry or vehicular? It's a lot easier to dodge a missile if you're in a plane than a truck or tank (some easier than others; a fighter-interceptor is gonna have an easier time than a fortress bomber) and it's still a lot easier in a ground vehicle than on foot.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126827 on: September 20, 2017, 09:18:19 pm »

Whoa, surreal ass moment just now, so the setup is I recently got super into like actually drumming because I've apparently been a drummer this whole time right?

So I whittled some sticks, bought some, got a little collection on the wall by me now, and I've got various practice pads/homemade drum rigs and such I tinker with, at the moment I've got a weird mismash of a sobakawa pillow, a three-different-rebound practice pad, a styrafoam and discarded shower curtain triangular lap drum tensioned with parts of what I think was supposed to be a cat toy and some sinew from some dreamcatchers I got asked to help make a while back, and a rudi-pad up top with uh, seven or eight chip clips, and two small bags of those "do not eat" silica gel beads all finagled together in a weird looking roughly baby-sized drum that packs a surprising range of tones and resonances and rattles and such so it's fun to just sit and ta-tika-ta-tika-ta-tika-ta-tika-ta-ba-rum-kish-tha-ba-boomph while reading and whatnot.

Recently picked up a little skinny pair of vater 7a manhattans to play with, and a big fat like 2b sized "rock" pair from some cheapo brand to hit the free shipping cutoff, and naturally I'm having a blast with these little whippy jazzy sticks.

So like, I've been playing so much lately that it feels weird to reach out and touch stuff without a drumstick sometimes, but on the other hand when the power went out from the Harvey leftovers it's not a problem to keep drumming in the dark since my brain "thinks" in hand+drumstick lengths lately.

So here's the wtf part: I set my little whippysticks down to demonstrate something to the missus and went to just do a couple of triplet loops and back down to the snare-ish bit of the triangledrumthing with my hands all bongo style, right?

Except the instant I start playing with my hands they feel like they're easily twice as wide and like two thirds as long as usual, BUT IT GETS WORSE IF I LOOK, FUCKING THINGS SEEM TO EXPAND THREE OR FOUR TIMES LATERALLY AND SHRINK DOWN TO HALF NORMAL LENGTH!

Is this just a thing that drummers don't talk about because it's so goddamn weird, or mostly due to the more narrow practice pad setup I've got, or what?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #126828 on: September 20, 2017, 09:26:30 pm »

Have you recently partaken of certain hallucinogenic fungi?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126829 on: September 20, 2017, 09:44:42 pm »

Define recently: I did a hit of acid on halloween uhhh almost 19 years ago, and used to get high regularly until like 15 years ago but the random "super stoned > mild lsd flashback" stuff only happened a few times on overcast days if I happened to look at lone trees long enough for them to start shimmering and shit, otherwise nope.

I mean, I know you can get weird shit like that with repetitive enough activities and suddenly switching the dimensions of something where your brain just shits itself trying to figure out why stuff isn't lining up the way your meat says it should and your eyes clearly demonstrate it isn't.

I don't really focus on the sticks so it's just kind of motion down at the bottom of my vision most of the time, but when I switch to my hands doing it... fuck, brain just starts laughing at eyes and meat doesn't even know what they're going on about.

Hell, here's said weird little drumbaby thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Going from those sticks to finger/palm playing is what causes the fuckery to all the wuts.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:06:34 pm by Max™ »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #126830 on: September 21, 2017, 12:02:35 am »

I was playing a versus match in the Pokemon TCG Online, and had finally got my bench filled up with powerful cards. I was about to steamroll my opponent, when suddenly DEFEAT!

I didn't get a look at the reason why, because I had quickly clicked 'done' thinking my opponent had conceded. I stared in disbelief as I got a minuscule number of points and my winning streak reset. I can only assume there was an issue with my connection for a brief period.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #126831 on: September 21, 2017, 12:08:12 am »

I was playing a versus match in the Pokemon TCG Online, and had finally got my bench filled up with powerful cards. I was about to steamroll my opponent, when suddenly DEFEAT!

I didn't get a look at the reason why, because I had quickly clicked 'done' thinking my opponent had conceded. I stared in disbelief as I got a minuscule number of points and my winning streak reset. I can only assume there was an issue with my connection for a brief period.

*pats your back* There there... it happens.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126832 on: September 21, 2017, 02:19:40 am »

WTF. I just went to the supermarket, and noticed two large suitcases left behind on top of a container. When I exit the supermarket 15 minutes later, they're still there, unattended.
So I get home, and I call the police.
Tell them "There's two unattended suitcases lying next to te supermarket, could you maybe come and check if there's no explosives or dead babies in them?"

You know what the retards tell me? "I am sorry, lost and found items are not a job of the police, please call the city hall to report that".

So I did, city hall will send the district cleaning manager to check them out.

Let's hope they're just empty, left behind suitcases, and that I don't have to read in the newspaper later today that a city district manager got blown to pieces.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126833 on: September 21, 2017, 02:59:52 am »

Wow, that's hopeless. There are entire government-funded marketing campaigns here dedicated to teaching people to freak the fuck out at the sight of unattended luggage. Crazy stuff.

My WTF: holy shit guys plain, unseasoned tofu actually tastes fucking delicious. :o
I just tofu'd myself for the first time. Why does this stuff taste so nice? I expected it to be extremely bland considering I was too lazy and unprepared to add spices as I cooked it. I threw it in with my usual luxury noodles, but the stuff tasted great on its own as well, I could have eaten it by itself without complaining.   

This is awesome! So many possibilities, such a cheap and delicious food that even I can cook quickly without messing it up! :D   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126834 on: September 21, 2017, 03:05:21 am »

Really?

Whenever I eat it, it tastes like a really thick slab of noodle or something.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #126835 on: September 21, 2017, 04:56:43 am »

My WTF: holy shit guys plain, unseasoned tofu actually tastes fucking delicious. :o
See, the words, individually I understand, but together in a sentence they become incomprehensible.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126836 on: September 21, 2017, 05:01:15 am »

Ironically, tofu in chicken broth tastes great.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126837 on: September 21, 2017, 05:03:31 am »

I somehow made paneer taste like tofu last night.

So weird.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #126838 on: September 21, 2017, 06:57:01 am »

Apparently, IKEA Finland, compared to IKEA Sweden, sells FRAKTA bags (Sweden) (Finland) advertised as bags to be used on a trolley (Sweden), but they don't even sell the trolley (Finland) (Finland).

Even Bulgaria manages to get the trolley.

But not Finland, apparently. Not advertised on the website, at least.

Hilariously, IKEA Iceland practically sells everything but the trolley (Sweden) (Iceland).

So in other words, IKEA believes there is no middle ground between a pillow and a king-size bed in terms of getting the product home. For something like, oh I don't know, Markus--which is too large to fit in a bag, too heavy to be comfortably carried by hand, but not large nor heavy enough to warrant a car--it's either pay an outrageous shipping fee, get a taxi/car, or break your back.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126839 on: September 21, 2017, 09:26:03 am »

I just tofu'd myself for the first time. Why does this stuff taste so nice? I expected it to be extremely bland considering I was too lazy and unprepared to add spices as I cooked it. I threw it in with my usual luxury noodles, but the stuff tasted great on its own as well, I could have eaten it by itself without complaining.   

This is awesome! So many possibilities, such a cheap and delicious food that even I can cook quickly without messing it up! :D   
I'm amazed that you hadn't tried it before, haha!  Yeah, I find it a little bland actually, but not in a bad way.  Nowadays I usually put a little sriracha on it, but sometimes I just snack on it raw (:

A shame it dries out pretty quickly if you don't keep it in water.  It turns a color pretty fast as it dries, and they *say* to keep it in water, but I don't know how quickly it actually goes bad (it's just bean paste...  but better safe than sorry).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 8454 8455 [8456] 8457 8458 ... 10983