Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8456 8457 [8458] 8459 8460 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13148161 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126855 on: September 21, 2017, 10:55:09 pm »

Actually it's interesting because the anti-'napple people have been so vocal recently that even I was expecting most people to oppose pineaple pizza in the polls before I checked. That could be similar to movie criticism, where some movie is "supposed" to be terrible then you see that 83% of movie-goers liked it on Rotten Tomatoes.

What we have here is Pizza hipsters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #126856 on: September 21, 2017, 11:00:03 pm »

My boss bought pizza from a nearby pizza place, 'Gotham City Pizza'.   The pizza had some ingredient I didn't recognize.  It definitely was not normal, and I wouldn't order a pizza with it on it myself but it was not terrible.  And only on the second slice was I inclined to take it off.

Turns out, after browsing their menu and comparing toppings, the pizza was their pizza called 'The cowabunga'.  The mystery ingredient...was pineapple.  I am sorry pizza gods, for I have sinned, I have eaten a slice of pinapple pizza and did not immediately discard it.  Please forgive me. Pepperoni to pepperoni, sauce to sauce, amen.

(WTF pineapple pizza is supposed to be terrible, what's wrong with me)

This is why you don't listen to the internet.

Also why would you think pineapple pizza is horrible if you've never tried it. That's just basic stuff when it comes to foodstuffs.

Actually it's interesting because the anti-'napple people have been so vocal recently that even I was expecting most people to oppose pineaple pizza in the polls before I checked. That could be similar to movie criticism, where some movie is "supposed" to be terrible then you see that 83% of movie-goers liked it on Rotten Tomatoes.

What we have here is Pizza hipsters.

Not hipsters, just memers.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126857 on: September 21, 2017, 11:05:34 pm »

On the subject of movies, I hear the Emoji Movie is a really good movie for people who don't like pineapple pizza. Y'all should go see it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126858 on: September 21, 2017, 11:08:18 pm »

Hey remember when we lived in a world where the Emoji Movie didn't exist?

Hey remember when Donald Trump wasn't the President of the United States hey remember when children weren't screaming about minions memes hey remember when the world still made sense hey remember when the moon didn't rain the blood of slain angels on us every couple of days hey

hey remember
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126859 on: September 21, 2017, 11:11:55 pm »

I'm glad The Emoji Movie actually exists. Because the reviews of such a bad film are a comedy goldmine. What makes it worthwhile is that it's not actually "meh". That would be the true crime here. It's actually awesome because it's just apparently so bad that people's children are wailing in their cinema seats to be released from the hellscape torment that is that movie.

It's currently at a 2.1 / 10.0 on IMDB, which is actually an effort for a major studio release to be rated that low. That's literally in the imdb bottom 100 at #30. So it's the 30th worst movie of any type made in the entirety of history. This is not "meh" at all, seeing such a terrible movie is a life-changing experience. Kids aren't going to remember the average movies, they're going to remember having been forced to sit through The Emoji Movie for the rest of their lives.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 11:19:56 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #126860 on: September 21, 2017, 11:15:16 pm »

Hey remember when Donald Trump wasn't the President of the United States hey remember when children weren't screaming about minions memes hey remember when the world still made sense hey remember when the moon didn't rain the blood of slain angels on us every couple of days hey

hey remember

* hector13 pats MSH on the shoulder, handing him a Gameboy while directing him to a quiet corner

It's gonna be okay buddy
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126861 on: September 21, 2017, 11:21:54 pm »

It appears the emoji movie was a commercial if not critical success. I guess the people financially behind it can join you in laughter.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126862 on: September 21, 2017, 11:36:55 pm »

I'd like to see a citation for that. And success is also relative to what else you could be making due to opportunity costs. On current figures it's not that great.

For example The Lego Movie's budget is reported at $60 million, and it had a box office take of $470 million.

Emoji cost $50 million, but it's only pulled in $180 million at the box office. But the studio+distributor (which I'm assuming are both Sony here) only gets about half of that money, so let's assume they got $90 million from the box office, or $40 million after deducting production costs. For additional marketing and distribution costs however, I can find articles claiming that this if often equal to or exceeds the stated production budget, so it's quite possible that $40-50 million was spent just on overheads not counted in the production budget. e.g. they apparently spent $6 million on TV adverts for the film in one week leading up to release, so the idea that they spent a total $30-40 million on all marketing,  promoting and distribution is not much of a stretch at all, eating up basically all of their profit.

So they're likely to be just breaking even, and while they could have sold ad placements to the companies in the movie, did that add enough revenue to make up for the movie basically being cancer? Probably not. Making another film without the inherent flaws in the "emoji" concept would probably have made more money.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:19:18 am by Reelya »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #126863 on: September 21, 2017, 11:58:32 pm »

I'm glad The Emoji Movie actually exists. Because the reviews of such a bad film are a comedy goldmine. What makes it worthwhile is that it's not actually "meh". That would be the true crime here. It's actually awesome because it's just apparently so bad that people's children are wailing in their cinema seats to be released from the hellscape torment that is that movie.

It's currently at a 2.1 / 10.0 on IMDB, which is actually an effort for a major studio release to be rated that low. That's literally in the imdb bottom 100 at #30. So it's the 30th worst movie of any type made in the entirety of history. This is not "meh" at all, seeing such a terrible movie is a life-changing experience. Kids aren't going to remember the average movies, they're going to remember having been forced to sit through The Emoji Movie for the rest of their lives.
Personally, I love how spectacularly stupid the movie is on every front. Some of my favorite highlights:

- The film involves the protagonists get into wacky hijinx while going through a number of apps to reach DropBox (where they can find the "source code",) yet they are shown going around the apps in several scenes, calling into question why they even went through any of them in the first place.
- There's a scene where the characters go to the "loser lounge", where emojis nobody uses go. The contents include the eggplant emoji and a fish cake emoji highly popular in Japan.
- The climax hinges on a guy taking his phone to a phone store to perform a factory reset, despite that being a built-in function of most phones. He somehow stops the factory reset of his phone partway in.
- In the obligatory "shady bar" scene, Internet trolls are depicted as computer programs
- The film includes the lines "Words aren't cool" and "Dude, send her an emoji!"

If you haven't seen it, there's a hilarious review by Jacksfilms, who mockingly hyped up the movie and made an hour-long frame by frame analysis of the movie's trailer.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126864 on: September 22, 2017, 12:24:51 am »

hey remember

* hector13 pats MSH on the shoulder, handing him a Gameboy while directing him to a quiet corner

It's gonna be okay buddy
I never had a Gameboy, and so I am non-comforted. In recompense, I shall tear down the skies above one nation of man.

Choose.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #126865 on: September 22, 2017, 12:25:30 am »

I'd like to see a citation for that. And success is also relative to what else you could be making due to opportunity costs. On current figures it's not that great.

For example The Lego Movie's budget is reported at $60 million, and it had a box office take of $470 million.

Emoji cost $50 million, but it's only pulled in $180 million at the box office. But the studio+distributor (which I'm assuming are both Sony here) only gets about half of that money, so let's assume they got $90 million from the box office, or $40 million after deducting production costs. For additional marketing and distribution costs however, I can find articles claiming that this if often equal to or exceeds the stated production budget, so it's quite possible that $40-50 million was spent just on overheads not counted in the production budget. e.g. they apparently spent $6 million on TV adverts for the film in one week leading up to release

So did they make more in revenue than they spent getting this into cinemas? That's debatable, and even if they did manage to turn a profit then you'd have to ask whether another film would have done better for the same investment of time and effort.
The rule of thumb is that double the production costs in revenue = made its money back.  That includes marketing costs.  But that's still a risky investment for nothing, so it has to make more past that to be considered profitable/sequalable.

The emoji movie markets itself by sheer weight of ironic online journalism, and made over 3x its costs in revenue.  So yeah, a reasonable estimate would be... 25-50 million in pure profit.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126866 on: September 22, 2017, 02:29:05 am »

hey remember

It's gonna be okay buddy
I never had a Gameboy, and so I am non-comforted. In recompense, I shall tear down the skies above one nation of man.

Choose.
Australia.
One wheel short of a wagon

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #126867 on: September 22, 2017, 02:32:34 am »

hey remember

It's gonna be okay buddy

Choose.

How about Vatican City? They have the smallest population of a formal country right?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126868 on: September 22, 2017, 04:39:59 am »

I think Sealand has a bit fewer people. I could be wrong on that, as I can't find any population figures.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126869 on: September 22, 2017, 04:57:33 am »

I think the number of registered citizens of Sealand is a fair bit higher than the actual number of permanent residents.

The old king died a few years ago, and his heir lives in Suffolk. There are "one or more caretakers" resident according to Wikipedia, so "population" is probably countable on one hand.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:01:30 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8456 8457 [8458] 8459 8460 ... 10980