Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8458 8459 [8460] 8461 8462 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997163 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126885 on: September 22, 2017, 03:30:26 pm »

Offer to sell them insurance for it and make a ton of money. the well of human stupidity will never run dry.

also WTF its like 90+ degrees suddenly.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:53:53 pm by redwallzyl »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126886 on: September 22, 2017, 05:14:09 pm »

Sometimes I wish Nibiru would hit so I don't have to go into work anymore.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #126887 on: September 22, 2017, 05:22:52 pm »

We should launch Earth towards Nibiru. That'll show them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #126888 on: September 22, 2017, 05:23:34 pm »

Facebook also says onions get poisonous if you refridgerate them.
Erics right when we should power cars on bullshit but we could also power them on the gullible fucks that believe such shit...
Yes like human batteries matrix style, they're not really been used so make them power the factory automation.

Nibiru smh fuck me.
××××××××××××××××××

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126889 on: September 22, 2017, 05:26:15 pm »

Erics right when we should power cars on bullshit but we could also power them on the gullible fucks that believe such shit...
Yes like human batteries matrix style, they're not really been used so make them power the factory automation.

Nibiru smh fuck me.

There's a certain irony in condemning belief in bullshit and endorsing the scientific accuracy of The Matrix at one stroke.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:28:42 pm by Trekkin »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #126890 on: September 22, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »

They do though. You can tell from when they start growing fur.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126891 on: September 22, 2017, 05:50:16 pm »

That sort of food misinformation can in fact kill people. e.g. the original emails claim that leaving a cut onion in the room with a flu-sick person absorbs the virus out of the air, avoiding infection. You can just be that at least one person probably tried to follow that advice rather than getting their kid treated for influenza, which does kill people.

In fact if you cut and onion, the sulfur compounds in the onion starts reacting with the air and turning into sulfuric acid. And common sense tells you that sulfuric acid isn't a "magnet" for bacteria, it is in fact poison to the bacteria.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:53:02 pm by Reelya »

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #126892 on: September 22, 2017, 05:51:40 pm »

Nibiru smh fuck me.

There's a certain irony in condemning belief in bullshit and endorsing the scientific accuracy of The Matrix at one stroke.

Oh yeah sorry.. nice to meet you. Im Billy. I often use poes law and as a person I am hard to read. I hope we become great friends =D
××××××××××××××××××

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126893 on: September 22, 2017, 08:28:38 pm »

In fact if you cut and onion, the sulfur compounds in the onion starts reacting with the air and turning into sulfuric acid.
Citation? Chemistry-wise I just don't see this happening at any reasonable rate.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126894 on: September 22, 2017, 08:36:55 pm »

In fact if you cut and onion, the sulfur compounds in the onion starts reacting with the air and turning into sulfuric acid.
Citation? Chemistry-wise I just don't see this happening at any reasonable rate.
That would be because it doesn't. What actually happens is that 1-propenesulfenic acid, produced by alliinases acting mostly on cysteine sulfoxide in broken onion cells, is rearranged into syn-propanethial S-oxide by lachrymatory factor synthases. That's what irritates your eyes and makes you cry. No significant amounts of sulfuric acid involved -- some does react with water to produce sulfuric acid, but not significantly.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:39:29 pm by Trekkin »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126895 on: September 22, 2017, 10:53:32 pm »

I was basing that on the large number of sites and articles that claim otherwise:

www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/why-do-onions-make-us-cry/
When we cut into an onion, we break its cells, releasing the contents inside. This allows chemicals that were previously separated by a cell membrane to combine with each other and with the air. Enzymes and “amino acid sulfoxide” chemicals from inside the cells react to produce a volatile sulfur gas. This gas wafts up from the onion and reacts with the natural water in your eye to form sulfuric acid, which brings about the familiar stinging sensation.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/pso/psov.htm
It is well known that people ‘cry’ when chopping onions but why is this so? The answer is that propanethial S-oxide (often referred to as thiopropanal S-oxide) is released into the air during chopping. Propanethial S-oxide is a lachrymator, an irritant that causes the eyes to fill with tears without damaging them. When a lachrymator comes into contact with the surface of the eye, the cornea, it is detected by the nervous system and triggers a response from the lachrymal (tear) glands. Tears are then produced in order to dilute the irritant. Propanethial S-oxide is relatively volatile and when its vapours come into contact with the eye a small amount reacts to form sulfuric acid, causing the burning and itching sensations that accompany the tears.

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/onions-make-cry.html
The molecules of syn-propanethial S-oxide are lighter than air, so they waft up towards our unsuspecting eyes. Once they come into contact with the basal tears in our eyes, which already exist due to the lacrimal gland, they once again change their chemical nature. This time around, the chemical reaction results in a far more severe chemical being created – sulfuric acid.

So ... according to various university websites and the like, the burning sensation is in fact caused by the formation of sulfuric acid, therefore that's the main defensive mechanism we're talking about here. Bacteria need water, and if they get onto the cut onion and there's enough water for them to function they're going to be affected by the sulfuric acid.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:57:02 pm by Reelya »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126896 on: September 22, 2017, 11:52:46 pm »

I was basing that on the large number of sites and articles that claim otherwise:

www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/why-do-onions-make-us-cry/
When we cut into an onion, we break its cells, releasing the contents inside. This allows chemicals that were previously separated by a cell membrane to combine with each other and with the air. Enzymes and “amino acid sulfoxide” chemicals from inside the cells react to produce a volatile sulfur gas. This gas wafts up from the onion and reacts with the natural water in your eye to form sulfuric acid, which brings about the familiar stinging sensation.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/pso/psov.htm
It is well known that people ‘cry’ when chopping onions but why is this so? The answer is that propanethial S-oxide (often referred to as thiopropanal S-oxide) is released into the air during chopping. Propanethial S-oxide is a lachrymator, an irritant that causes the eyes to fill with tears without damaging them. When a lachrymator comes into contact with the surface of the eye, the cornea, it is detected by the nervous system and triggers a response from the lachrymal (tear) glands. Tears are then produced in order to dilute the irritant. Propanethial S-oxide is relatively volatile and when its vapours come into contact with the eye a small amount reacts to form sulfuric acid, causing the burning and itching sensations that accompany the tears.

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/onions-make-cry.html
The molecules of syn-propanethial S-oxide are lighter than air, so they waft up towards our unsuspecting eyes. Once they come into contact with the basal tears in our eyes, which already exist due to the lacrimal gland, they once again change their chemical nature. This time around, the chemical reaction results in a far more severe chemical being created – sulfuric acid.

So ... according to various university websites and the like, the burning sensation is in fact caused by the formation of sulfuric acid, therefore that's the main defensive mechanism we're talking about here. Bacteria need water, and if they get onto the cut onion and there's enough water for them to function they're going to be affected by the sulfuric acid.
As a general rule, Reelya, you can find "a large number of sites and articles" that say anything you want, particularly lies-to-the-public about science. That doesn't mean it's right. If you want right, go read peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals with respectable impact factors. Posting links to PBS to contradict actual science is just silly.

Now, on to why you are completely wrong here: for sulfuric acid -- or any acid -- to do anything, it needs to lower the pH of the solution enough to actually trigger the eye's chemoreceptors (or, you know, kill bacteria). Let's humor PBS and pretend that syn-propanethial S-oxide instantly becomes sulfuric acid with 100% efficiency when it contacts water. There's a few micromoles of syn-propanethial S-oxide per milliliter of onion juice. That means onion juice is at around pH 5.15 at best, and more likely 6, if you were to pour it into your eyes directly. That's somewhere between milk and bananas in acidity. There are chemoreceptors in your mouth, too; do bananas burn when you eat them? Regardless: the few microliters (if that; I'm being generous here) of exposed onion juice giving off the gas that gets into your eyes are not going to do anything meaningful to the pH of your tears, which are actually well buffered against acids.

But we don't even need to care about that. Sulfines don't dissolve in water to give sulfuric acid. They do give sulfur dioxide under certain conditions (and ketones) but sulfur dioxide must be catalyzed to oxidize quickly into the trioxide required to form sulfuric acid. Tell me, Reelya: how long have you been crying vanadium(V) oxide and alkali metals to act as a catalyst? If you don't know off the top of your head, it would be around the time your tears started to catch fire in air. syn-propanethial S-oxide just doesn't make sulfuric acid.

And beyond even that, think about this logically: if there were enough acid in onion gas to kill anything in the vicinity, and this acid formed upon contact with water, what do you think it is going to do to the water in the onion cytosol -- and why on Earth would onions evolve to burn themselves if you hurt them?

So no, no, and again, NO. syn-propanethial S-oxide doesn't turn into sulfuric acid in your tears, and even if it did, there isn't enough of it for the quantities getting into your eyes to make a difference.

As for what actually happens: syn-propanethial S-oxide is a known agonist for transient receptor potential ankyrin 1. TRPA-1 leads to an inflammatory response which includes tearing up. That is literally all there is to it. No acid or junk pseudoscience involved.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:08:13 am by Trekkin »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #126897 on: September 22, 2017, 11:56:38 pm »

I ate bugs and enjoyed it today, ''twas a strange moment for me.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126898 on: September 23, 2017, 02:02:55 am »

Even better. If onion juice turned straight into sulfuric acid upon contact with water, what do you think would happen when you boil onions?

I think that you would get a badly corroded pot of sulfuric acid. Which you do not.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #126899 on: September 23, 2017, 04:45:38 am »

I was playing a versus match in the Pokemon TCG Online, and had finally got my bench filled up with powerful cards. I was about to steamroll my opponent, when suddenly DEFEAT!

I didn't get a look at the reason why, because I had quickly clicked 'done' thinking my opponent had conceded. I stared in disbelief as I got a minuscule number of points and my winning streak reset. I can only assume there was an issue with my connection for a brief period.

*pats your back* There there... it happens.
And it happened again. Was losing for most of the game, made an epic comeback, down to 1 prize card each (Pokemon allowed to be KO'd on each side) and about to land final blow, then suddenly DEFEAT again.

I checked this time and there's no reason given whatsoever for defeat. The log just ends with: "282. It is now Bumber's turn (Turn #31)." Going to send a bug report.

Edit: Turns out I ran out of cards. Still sending a bug report due to lack of message.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:52:42 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 8458 8459 [8460] 8461 8462 ... 10973