Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8617 8618 [8619] 8620 8621 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13175137 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #129270 on: December 08, 2017, 06:02:41 pm »

Found an interesting article about devs responding to community backlash over microtransactions. It seems like we actually are making a difference.

I don't know where else to put it so I'm sharing it here.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129271 on: December 08, 2017, 06:12:12 pm »

Testicle warmer? One would think the problem is to keep them cool enough.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129272 on: December 08, 2017, 06:37:14 pm »

* Khan Boyzitbig looks outside at the snow and wonders why one might desire a testicle warmer

Seriously though, if you are far north/south in winter you want to keep everything warm.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129273 on: December 08, 2017, 09:55:19 pm »

A quick look-up, and one advertisement noted that if you get your balls to around 42°C - which is 107.6°F, dangerously near what a fever can kill you at - it sterilizes the sperm. Of course that could easily be advertising bullshit, and should not be used as a contraceptive.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #129274 on: December 08, 2017, 10:13:19 pm »

At that point may as well be safe and burn the things to a crisp.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #129275 on: December 08, 2017, 10:34:03 pm »

A quick look-up, and one advertisement noted that if you get your balls to around 42°C - which is 107.6°F, dangerously near what a fever can kill you at - it sterilizes the sperm. Of course that could easily be advertising bullshit, and should not be used as a contraceptive.
Err, that would cause a lot more problems than that. There's a reason that area of the body...moves away from the body at hot temperatures, and sticks close in cold temperatures--there needs to be a stable temperature for those cells to grow and mature.

And I learned all this because prior MedTech experience. :P ALL THE ANATOMY! ALL THE CHEMISTRY!

Found an interesting article about devs responding to community backlash over microtransactions. It seems like we actually are making a difference.

I don't know where else to put it so I'm sharing it here.
Thankfully, the internet’s rebel alliance is working to check the corporate empire.
Finally.
And we get good wording too. :P
But as someone studying these things (eg Gambling, and otherwise, in behavior), those lootbox systems (at least in ones where y'all get small chances of 'near enough' to expectations, rather than previewing the rewards in a very closed-setup, like 3 boxes and all where you are not forced to buy more [the core point is MONEY MONEY]) are pretty much behavioral rewards--and especially when money is thrown in. Reward vs time = "Supply vs Demand", how much you have worth put into what you buy.

I hope this also brings focus into the importance of the characteristic of impulsivity in gaming behaviors--what can be done and what can be changed to improve and help people, rather than rely on these mindsets to 'pay you'.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129276 on: December 09, 2017, 12:19:09 am »

This might seem weird, but why do urinals exist? I can't imagine they save much money and really, who wants to stand next to a bunch of other guys while you are all urinating

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129277 on: December 09, 2017, 12:24:22 am »

This might seem weird, but why do urinals exist? I can't imagine they save much money and really, who wants to stand next to a bunch of other guys while you are all urinating
Oh my God yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one. They are the stupidest, most pointless piece of bathroom equipment ever.
The only argument one could possibly raise in their favour is that you can pack more people in to pee at once than you could with a row of stalls, but I've rarely if ever seen people actually crowd that close at a urinal anyway. They'd have to be pretty goddamn drunk.

So bloody annoying when you need to shit or blow your nose or take drugs or something but there's only one or two actual stalls, all occupied, thanks to some dumbass architect/planner deciding to waste four toilets' worth of space on a wholly unnecessary piss trough. >:(

I hate urinals. Can't believe they haven't been phased out already.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129278 on: December 09, 2017, 12:39:41 am »

You only need 2 urinals. 1 full size, one wheelchair accessible.  The rest can be toilets.  Urinals are a convenience item. The issue of "Standing next to another guy" goes away totally when there are this few of them, and the the "Stand, zip, rip, flush, zip, wash hands" nature of the process for "Gotta go quick, and get back to doing whatever" (Such as "Gotta pee at the movies", or "Boss is a dickhead, does not like toilet breaks", or "I'm a trucker, and time spent in the bathroom is time my manager is up my ass", etc.)

For places that expect to serve lots of alcohol, they are also a "Lets avoid having piss all over everything" solution as well, because they combine "Fast service" with "high density", but that only makes sense for places like civic arenas, or the like, where heavy drinking is expected to happen.

But for a normal public restroom? No. 2 urinals. One full size, one wheelchair accessible.  That's all you need in terms of urinals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129279 on: December 09, 2017, 01:39:57 am »

Wait, wheelchair-accessible urinals?  *googling*... Huh!  I always thought the lower ones were simply for children.  I didn't think the wheelchair-bound would use a urinal, but fair enough.

I'm usually pretty shy with strangers IRL, but somehow I don't have the very common concerns with public restrooms (or urinals specifically).  I actually fondly remember the "pee trough" at a local sporting venue, meant to accommodate many people at once with an admirable efficiency.

I mean... Yeah I like guys a bit, but more face and figure than equipment.  I feel like it'd be super obvious to get a good look...  And they're peeing.  No kinkshaming, but that's not for me.  Besides which, I can't remember the last time I was in a bathroom so full that I was adjacent someone.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #129280 on: December 09, 2017, 01:51:29 am »

Haha! Oh wow.. People washinging hands in public bathrooms. You're a funny guy, wierd.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #129281 on: December 09, 2017, 03:41:32 am »

Haha! Oh wow.. People washinging hands in public bathrooms. You're a funny guy, wierd.
People...don't do that where you're from? :-\

You only need 2 urinals. 1 full size, one wheelchair accessible.  The rest can be toilets.  Urinals are a convenience item.[...]
Don't they save water needed for flushing there?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129282 on: December 09, 2017, 03:44:30 am »

Depends.  Urinals can be "low capacity flush" but they often REEK if they are-- meaning people flush more than once completely negating that advantage. Likewise, there are low capacity (air assisted flush) toilets, which are quite effective.  I would say that for cost saving measures, you can do more with the toilet than you can with the urinal.  Urinal is mostly for the convenience.

And sadly, there are plenty of "nasty people" who really, DO NOT wash their hands after going. (Gross.) 

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #129283 on: December 09, 2017, 03:47:10 am »

Urinals can be made cleanly and inoffensively completely waterless. It's very common around here. It's also possible to fit far more urinals into an equivalent space than full toilets, which is extremely useful for public facilities.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129284 on: December 09, 2017, 03:49:38 am »

People...don't do that where you're from? :-\
Maybe it depends, but in my experience most people do.  It's just easier to notice the people who don't.  Again, I'm not germophobe, but I tend to operate bathroom handles with a sleeve...  Many bathrooms are made with blind corners instead of doors, for that reason.
You only need 2 urinals. 1 full size, one wheelchair accessible.  The rest can be toilets.  Urinals are a convenience item.[...]
Don't they save water needed for flushing there?
Yep.  I'd go for three urinals minimum, since it's a irrational yet true fact that most people would rather have an empty space between them and another... peer  8)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 8617 8618 [8619] 8620 8621 ... 10983