Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8693 8694 [8695] 8696 8697 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999283 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130410 on: January 31, 2018, 05:36:13 am »

((Of course, you could be joking, but without hearing your voice, who can tell?))
Mmmmm, pretty much everyone, I think. Anyone who couldn't, feel free to raise your hand?
*Raises hand*
Unfortunately you are the only one.
It was indeed actually YOU who caught the poe.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #130411 on: January 31, 2018, 06:55:06 am »

Relevant:
Love, scriver~

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #130412 on: January 31, 2018, 07:00:42 am »

People really should not buy clothing if they do not know what is written or portrayed on them.
They should instead buy clothing they know the meaning of, or clothing without texts and images.
You don't have the needed experience to say that until you've seen the kind of French some people will put on shirts just for the sake of French. *shudders*
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130413 on: January 31, 2018, 07:02:31 am »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130414 on: January 31, 2018, 09:05:01 am »

Relevant:
Haha, are those the 3 Hanson brothers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE

Wait, but that's a mirror. So it would be reversed, yes?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130415 on: January 31, 2018, 09:24:47 am »

Yet in either of those cases I can't think of how such systems would deliver any kind of a stunning blast.  Maybe in the blaster's case it fires the magnets without the plasma with the magnets set to interfere with nerve signals to muscles? Though I imagine that would be a very temporary stun, only for a second or two, as the magnets being too small to be seen would likely not have enough mass to penetrate flesh at the speeds the blasts are seen moving, and would just bounce away, taking their interference with it
From what I recall of EU it's probably either sonic or concussive based... probably the former, since most concussion weapons in star wars are fairly dedicated.

Weapon wise, it's probably good to remember SW was perfectly happy to have multi-role weaponry that was basically just 2+ weapons jammed into the same frame, too, though.

Any case, quick actual check mentions the stun effect jams charged particles into the target, making their vitals go haywire. Overloads the nervous system, knocking them unconscious. More or less a space tazer, really, right down to potential seizure and death. Amusingly enough, the method used by stun blasters is apparently widely used in medical procedures in star wars verse. I guess tazing patients is faster than bothering with anaesthesia...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #130416 on: January 31, 2018, 02:07:58 pm »

Set blasters to stun

Actually, that *IS* a valid setting for starwars blasters!  Shoots little blue doughnuts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYelmcVoZg8
You know I HAD to have seen that scene from the movie, yet I never knew stormtrooper blasters could stun.  I literally just thought that was a Star Trek only thing.

Though now I'm questioning how such weapons would work, phasers are just a laser beam being fired from a compact bank of multiple lasers like a miniaturized minigun to increase the intensity of the beam while keeping each individual laser from overheating.  Stormtrooper blasters are, judging from their behavior, plasma based weapons firing some kind of magnetically contained beam of plasma (my best guess is that it fires a series of super tiny super strong magnets that maintain a magnetic containment for the plasma)

Yet in either of those cases I can't think of how such systems would deliver any kind of a stunning blast.  Maybe in the blaster's case it fires the magnets without the plasma with the magnets set to interfere with nerve signals to muscles? Though I imagine that would be a very temporary stun, only for a second or two, as the magnets being too small to be seen would likely not have enough mass to penetrate flesh at the speeds the blasts are seen moving, and would just bounce away, taking their interference with it.  As for the phaser...  I can't think of a focused light weapon being able to incapacitate anyone unless the victim is looking at it, and while I don't recall every star trek scene ever, I'm pretty sure people get stunned without facing the beam.
The blue circle gun is something that no one in SW ever seems to remember, I'm always happy when it comes back in any form.

There's also Darth Vader blocking a blaster bolt with his hand.  Really cool moment but no one ever talks about it and its not in any of the games that I know of.

Magnets can't be "set" to affect humans without affecting other things; a magnet powerful enough to knock someone out (if such a thing is even possible) would probably do any number of horrible things to the gun, the surroundings, and the target.  In addition to requiring enough power your blaster could double as a generator.  On the other hand, the US military has a weapon that vaguely resembles a blaster, and its considered a less-lethal weapon for riot control.  Operating based on pain rather than electricity, which would explain why people avoid using the stun setting.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130417 on: January 31, 2018, 02:43:15 pm »

snip
The blue circle gun is something that no one in SW ever seems to remember, I'm always happy when it comes back in any form.

There's also Darth Vader blocking a blaster bolt with his hand.  Really cool moment but no one ever talks about it and its not in any of the games that I know of.

Magnets can't be "set" to affect humans without affecting other things; a magnet powerful enough to knock someone out (if such a thing is even possible) would probably do any number of horrible things to the gun, the surroundings, and the target.  In addition to requiring enough power your blaster could double as a generator.  On the other hand, the US military has a weapon that vaguely resembles a blaster, and its considered a less-lethal weapon for riot control.  Operating based on pain rather than electricity, which would explain why people avoid using the stun setting.
Heh, humans are not even magnetic. The only way to affect them with magnets is to induce a strong enough change in magnetic field to electrocute them, as they are conductive.

Sadly, humans are much less conductive than most metals. This would lead massive current through any metal it hits, heating it.

So imagine, if your target is wearing metal armor. They get cooked. Also any droids or computers you manage to hit.

So yes, it is possible to stun someone with magnets by tazing them. And yes, you would heat any metal nearby. You would also kill them, if they happened to have any metal inside of them. (Such as a metal knee.)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #130418 on: January 31, 2018, 03:03:49 pm »

He does it again in Rogue one.
I kind of thought Kylo Renīs blaster freeze was a callback to this
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130419 on: January 31, 2018, 03:17:38 pm »

It is in "empire strikes back" for the original NES.  you fight the dark force phantom Vader on dagobah, and he totally ninjas the blaster like a boss.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130420 on: January 31, 2018, 03:52:00 pm »

Someone dropped a couple neonazi propaganda rags in our bookdrops as if they expected us to put them out with the newspapers. In addition to the disgustingly predictable and predictably disgusting articles ("Saving White Civilization: Getting Parasites Off Our Back") there were also the befuddling ("Hitler Did Not Want Jewish WWII") and downright arcane ("China Calls Bluff of NY-DC Axis"). And, of course, an exhortation to buy gold now because fiat money can't be trusted.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130421 on: January 31, 2018, 03:52:24 pm »

He does it again in Rogue one.
I kind of thought Kylo Renīs blaster freeze was a callback to this

Pretty much this
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130422 on: January 31, 2018, 03:53:13 pm »

Relevant:
Haha, are those the 3 Hanson brothers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE

Wait, but that's a mirror. So it would be reversed, yes?
She probably edited the photo so it could be more readable.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130423 on: January 31, 2018, 04:04:03 pm »

Yeah, vertical image flip. You can even do that in MS Paint.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #130424 on: January 31, 2018, 05:30:58 pm »

I had a conversation with a doctor today and... Strangely enough part of the conversation was over my apparently higher than average bandwidth usage.

He wasn't upset about it or anything, just seemed to be making sure it wasn't something else? Maybe downloading an entire booru with grabber while I was here wasn't the best idea anyway.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 8693 8694 [8695] 8696 8697 ... 10974