Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8698 8699 [8700] 8701 8702 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13001914 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130485 on: February 01, 2018, 04:10:50 pm »

People haven't actually changed a lot from ancient times to today. Shitposting is timeless.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130486 on: February 01, 2018, 04:23:17 pm »

I was woken up this morning and the last by a nosebleed. If this keeps up, my sheets are all gonna be stained red by the end of the week.

But it got me thinking. After cupping my nose to not get any blood on anything that couldn't be washed immediately, I noticed something I like. I find it oddly fascinating how a thin layer of blood covering the skin can highlight every small detail, every crack and pore that you wouldn't otherwise notice is clearly visible after the tiniest amount of blood has pooled into it.

Besides that though is the constant smell of blood stuck in my nose for the last two days. It's a bit sickening.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #130487 on: February 01, 2018, 04:48:22 pm »

I am kind of late for the whole "ancient texts are pure and holy" discussion, but...

One text I got to study was a public declaration, from the fourteenth century, that would have been placed in a public spot somewhere in the Iberian peninsula, so that literate people could read to those who were not. It was basically a list of dos and do nots. One of them? "Don't rub holy objects on your body with the purpose of passing your smell onto them". Rather specific. I can't for the life of me find the damn text, though.

In the Liber Pontificallis, there's a passage nonchalantly saying Adrian I had the basillicas of what is now the Vatican restored... because there were horses grazing inside.

In short, people wrote a bunch of crap in parchments, it's just that not a lot has survived to this day.
Reliquaries are the bling, dawg.

People haven't actually changed a lot from ancient times to today. Shitposting is timeless.
Writing was done nearly exclusively in the West by monks whose lives were spent in the scriptoria honing their craft. If they did shitpost, it would be premium grade quality. Like, Dwarves would get unhappy thoughts if you destroyed it type of quality. This was compounded by the price of parchment, which was so expensive they tried to write poetry out of verse form simply to save space. I have not had the dubious honour of reading Tingle's work, but I'm probably safe in saying that it is not a careful craft, skillfully wrought by intelligent hands.

I'm not saying that ancient works are inherently holy/free of profanity. One need only look at Sophocles' work to see the fault in that opinion. What I am saying is that even the most virulent writer of that time would be offended by the sloppiness Tingle's work screams of.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #130488 on: February 01, 2018, 04:56:08 pm »

My point being that the writing itself was a thing of beauty. Odin may have slutted his way through Old Norse Scandinavia, but the chroniclers wrote him doing it with style.

My suspicion is that Mr. Tingle does not have 'stylish writing' in his curriculum vitae.

You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover.

Literally, in this case.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #130489 on: February 01, 2018, 04:58:16 pm »

Well accordingly, Chuck Tingle is an autistic savant that also suffers from schizophrenia, so keep that in mind.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130490 on: February 01, 2018, 04:59:33 pm »

I find it oddly fascinating how a thin layer of blood covering the skin can highlight every small detail.
I remember noticing that with ink, but yeah it’s very cool.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130491 on: February 01, 2018, 05:06:15 pm »

I'm not saying that ancient works are inherently holy/free of profanity. One need only look at Sophocles' work to see the fault in that opinion. What I am saying is that even the most virulent writer of that time would be offended by the sloppiness Tingle's work screams of.

And yet, have you actually read any?

This appears to be an extreme case of sentimentality mixed with literature snobbery that frankly misses the point. The words of "Dr. Chuck Tingle" may not be crafted with elegance and brevity, and he doubtless did not intend to write lyrically. That would ruin the effect, as his own brand of wit clearly depends on cliche, surrealism and trope, rather than writing desirable for its own sake.

An ancient example of this would be the plays of Aristophanes, which involve ludicrous plots, unnaturalistic dialogue, stupid neologisms, and broken meter all of which must be to great effect, given the survival of his work over more than a thousand years.
One wheel short of a wagon

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130492 on: February 01, 2018, 05:10:30 pm »

Exactly. What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to he next step?

In other WTF, Kurtzgesaght released another terrifying video as usual.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130493 on: February 01, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »

An ancient example of this would be the plays of Aristophanes, which involve ludicrous plots, unnaturalistic dialogue, stupid neologisms, and broken meter all of which must be to great effect, given the survival of his work over more than a thousand years.
I mean, they are utterly superb, even after all this time.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130494 on: February 01, 2018, 05:20:14 pm »

I am kind of late for the whole "ancient texts are pure and holy" discussion, but...

One text I got to study was a public declaration, from the fourteenth century, that would have been placed in a public spot somewhere in the Iberian peninsula, so that literate people could read to those who were not. It was basically a list of dos and do nots. One of them? "Don't rub holy objects on your body with the purpose of passing your smell onto them". Rather specific. I can't for the life of me find the damn text, though.

In the Liber Pontificallis, there's a passage nonchalantly saying Adrian I had the basillicas of what is now the Vatican restored... because there were horses grazing inside.

In short, people wrote a bunch of crap in parchments, it's just that not a lot has survived to this day.
Reliquaries are the bling, dawg.

Writing was done nearly exclusively in the West by monks whose lives were spent in the scriptoria honing their craft. If they did shitpost, it would be premium grade quality. Like, Dwarves would get unhappy thoughts if you destroyed it type of quality. This was compounded by the price of parchment, which was so expensive they tried to write poetry out of verse form simply to save space. I have not had the dubious honour of reading Tingle's work, but I'm probably safe in saying that it is not a careful craft, skillfully wrought by intelligent hands.

This has a lot of supposition on your part. Maybe you should go ahead and read some of Tingles works, you know, just to make sure you're factually correct about the quality of his writing before you disparage it.

You know, to improve the quality of your argument.  :)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130495 on: February 01, 2018, 05:21:01 pm »

Can we all agree though that those people who try to make their cats vegan, shouldn't be allowed to own pets, and depending on how much of an idiot they are, charged with animal abuse, and that any attempt at vegan cat food should be banned outright, as that is basically the equivalent of trying to feed a human nothing but leaves and saying, "kolas can eat it"

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #130496 on: February 01, 2018, 05:30:43 pm »

Vegan cats?
Vegan cats?!?
Aren’t felines obligate carnivores?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130497 on: February 01, 2018, 05:31:16 pm »

Exactly the reason it's such a terrible idea

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130498 on: February 01, 2018, 05:36:46 pm »

You're thinking too small.
We should just genetically engineer taurine-synthesizing cats.
Then those people will have to choose between veganism and GMO, and their heads will explode.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130499 on: February 01, 2018, 05:56:30 pm »

Heh, I do like that idea.  There's nothing wrong with GMO inherently, it's monocultures that are dangerous.
Exactly the reason it's such a terrible idea
I doubt there are any insurmountable problems.  The primary one seems to be taurine, which can be and is synthesized for this purpose.  That's kinda a waste of resources, but veganism is inherently inefficient compared to vegetarianism.

A friend's cousin is vegetarian (or vegan?) and feeds their dog as such.  It lives just fine, the main side effect being that it apparently *loves* eating a bit of turkey on thanksgiving.  Which would maybe imply that these vegetarian foods don't taste very good to dogs and cats, heh.

Seems a bit ironic to call it animal cruelty, though, unless you seek out cruelty-free meat.  That's tough enough to shop for normally, much less as pet food.  And if it's cruel to feed carnivores vegetables...  Should we stop feeding cows to cows?  Doesn't bother me, saves money and works fine.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 8698 8699 [8700] 8701 8702 ... 10974