Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8952 8953 [8954] 8955 8956 ... 9987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5660066 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONSUMES_VERMIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134295 on: February 01, 2018, 05:06:15 pm »

I'm not saying that ancient works are inherently holy/free of profanity. One need only look at Sophocles' work to see the fault in that opinion. What I am saying is that even the most virulent writer of that time would be offended by the sloppiness Tingle's work screams of.

And yet, have you actually read any?

This appears to be an extreme case of sentimentality mixed with literature snobbery that frankly misses the point. The words of "Dr. Chuck Tingle" may not be crafted with elegance and brevity, and he doubtless did not intend to write lyrically. That would ruin the effect, as his own brand of wit clearly depends on cliche, surrealism and trope, rather than writing desirable for its own sake.

An ancient example of this would be the plays of Aristophanes, which involve ludicrous plots, unnaturalistic dialogue, stupid neologisms, and broken meter all of which must be to great effect, given the survival of his work over more than a thousand years.
I'm not around much anymore. I'll still check PMs though.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Celebrating one decade of existential crisis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134296 on: February 01, 2018, 05:10:30 pm »

Exactly. What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to he next step?

In other WTF, Kurtzgesaght released another terrifying video as usual.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134297 on: February 01, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »

An ancient example of this would be the plays of Aristophanes, which involve ludicrous plots, unnaturalistic dialogue, stupid neologisms, and broken meter all of which must be to great effect, given the survival of his work over more than a thousand years.
I mean, they are utterly superb, even after all this time.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134298 on: February 01, 2018, 05:20:14 pm »

I am kind of late for the whole "ancient texts are pure and holy" discussion, but...

One text I got to study was a public declaration, from the fourteenth century, that would have been placed in a public spot somewhere in the Iberian peninsula, so that literate people could read to those who were not. It was basically a list of dos and do nots. One of them? "Don't rub holy objects on your body with the purpose of passing your smell onto them". Rather specific. I can't for the life of me find the damn text, though.

In the Liber Pontificallis, there's a passage nonchalantly saying Adrian I had the basillicas of what is now the Vatican restored... because there were horses grazing inside.

In short, people wrote a bunch of crap in parchments, it's just that not a lot has survived to this day.
Reliquaries are the bling, dawg.

People haven't actually changed a lot from ancient times to today. Shitposting is timeless.
Writing was done nearly exclusively in the West by monks whose lives were spent in the scriptoria honing their craft. If they did shitpost, it would be premium grade quality. Like, Dwarves would get unhappy thoughts if you destroyed it type of quality. This was compounded by the price of parchment, which was so expensive they tried to write poetry out of verse form simply to save space. I have not had the dubious honour of reading Tingle's work, but I'm probably safe in saying that it is not a careful craft, skillfully wrought by intelligent hands.

I'm not saying that ancient works are inherently holy/free of profanity. One need only look at Sophocles' work to see the fault in that opinion. What I am saying is that even the most virulent writer of that time would be offended by the sloppiness Tingle's work screams of.

This has a lot of supposition on your part. Maybe you should go ahead and read some of Tingles works, you know, just to make sure you're factually correct about the quality of his writing before you disparage it.

You know, to improve the quality of your argument.  :)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134299 on: February 01, 2018, 05:21:01 pm »

Can we all agree though that those people who try to make their cats vegan, shouldn't be allowed to own pets, and depending on how much of an idiot they are, charged with animal abuse, and that any attempt at vegan cat food should be banned outright, as that is basically the equivalent of trying to feed a human nothing but leaves and saying, "kolas can eat it"

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I found Sub-Wikis
    • View Profile
« Reply #134300 on: February 01, 2018, 05:30:43 pm »

Vegan cats?
Vegan cats?!?
Aren’t felines obligate carnivores?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134301 on: February 01, 2018, 05:31:16 pm »

Exactly the reason it's such a terrible idea

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134302 on: February 01, 2018, 05:36:46 pm »

You're thinking too small.
We should just genetically engineer taurine-synthesizing cats.
Then those people will have to choose between veganism and GMO, and their heads will explode.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #134303 on: February 01, 2018, 05:56:30 pm »

Heh, I do like that idea.  There's nothing wrong with GMO inherently, it's monocultures that are dangerous.
I doubt there are any insurmountable problems.  The primary one seems to be taurine, which can be and is synthesized for this purpose.  That's kinda a waste of resources, but veganism is inherently inefficient compared to vegetarianism.

A friend's cousin is vegetarian (or vegan?) and feeds their dog as such.  It lives just fine, the main side effect being that it apparently *loves* eating a bit of turkey on thanksgiving.  Which would maybe imply that these vegetarian foods don't taste very good to dogs and cats, heh.

Seems a bit ironic to call it animal cruelty, though, unless you seek out cruelty-free meat.  That's tough enough to shop for normally, much less as pet food.  And if it's cruel to feed carnivores vegetables...  Should we stop feeding cows to cows?  Doesn't bother me, saves money and works fine.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #134304 on: February 01, 2018, 06:04:06 pm »

Cats require animal protein to live, that's why it's cruel.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134305 on: February 01, 2018, 06:07:00 pm »

Heh, I do like that idea.  There's nothing wrong with GMO inherently, it's monocultures that are dangerous.
I doubt there are any insurmountable problems.  The primary one seems to be taurine, which can be and is synthesized for this purpose.  That's kinda a waste of resources, but veganism is inherently inefficient compared to vegetarianism.

A friend's cousin is vegetarian (or vegan?) and feeds their dog as such.  It lives just fine, the main side effect being that it apparently *loves* eating a bit of turkey on thanksgiving.  Which would maybe imply that these vegetarian foods don't taste very good to dogs and cats, heh.

Seems a bit ironic to call it animal cruelty, though, unless you seek out cruelty-free meat.  That's tough enough to shop for normally, much less as pet food.  And if it's cruel to feed carnivores vegetables...  Should we stop feeding cows to cows?  Doesn't bother me, saves money and works fine.
Feeding cows to cows was how we got Mad Cow Disease.

Yes, it was specifically the nervous tissue causing that to happen, but perhaps we shouldn't be so blase about deliberately encouraging cannibalism :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134306 on: February 01, 2018, 06:18:17 pm »

I want you to try and feed a child only leaves and grass and tell the courts that's not cruelty because of feeding cows cow, tell me how that works out for you

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #134307 on: February 01, 2018, 06:20:32 pm »

I want you to try and feed a child only leaves and grass and tell the courts that's not cruelty because of feeding cows cow, tell me how that works out for you

I feel like someone has tragically missed someone's point or comically talked past them, because I don't think this is a sequence of logic anyone actually had.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134308 on: February 01, 2018, 06:21:38 pm »

This is what I based it on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134309 on: February 01, 2018, 06:28:13 pm »

Feeding cows to cows was how we got Mad Cow Disease.

Yes, it was specifically the nervous tissue causing that to happen, but perhaps we shouldn't be so blase about deliberately encouraging cannibalism :P

I'm kind of skeptical of the official cause. There was evidence that chemicals played a role, but the UK government wanted to shut down that speculation, so went with the 'it just happens' explanation. "The official panel found otherwise!" isn't a good model of how science is supposed to work. If it's literally just animals eating other animals that's the cause of it spreading, and prions just fold themselves wrong for no reason, then CJD should spontaneously occur in cows all the time, e.g. there would have to be a first cow to start the chain, but we don't see cows spontaneously developing CJD at all, and other places have in fact fed animal waste to other animals, for sure, for a long time, yet nobody ever had this outbreak before.

The key alternate explanation is that excess manganese combined with copper deficiency causes copper to be substituted with manganese, and this leads to the problem.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25125459
We have previously demonstrated in bovine brain homogenate that free radicals produce proteinase K-resistant prion after manganese is substituted for copper

This one is actually a good overview of the different theories:
https://www.copper.org/publications/newsletters/innovations/2001/12/mad-cow.html

Another position expressed in testimony before the BSE Inquiry and in the scientific and popular literature is that of a British organic farmer, Mark Purdey, who hypothesizes that:

A copper deficiency, with manganese replacement for copper in the prion protein, initially caused by the repeated application of extremely high doses of an organophosphate (OP) insecticide, phosmet, and the provision of a manganese-rich chicken manure-based feed supplement is the key to the origin of BSE in British cattle.
    The subsequent feeding of MBM and offal from infected cattle containing OP derivatives and/or the manganese-modified prion protein caused its spread.
    It is copper deficiency with manganese substitution that affects humans in the BSE variant, vCJD. Mr. Purdey believes that this is caused by low copper content and high manganese content in soil and consequently in food consumed by humans. Excess manganese entered the soil by the use of sewage sludge as a soil additive and of manganese-based pesticides.

So, this theory is that they were hitting the cows with high levels of insecticide phosmet to control a particular parasite (warble fly) which interfered with copper metabolism, and at the same time they started putting manganese-rich chicken poop into their feed. This then caused manganese to substitute for copper in the prions and leads to the abberant folding and brain disease. Here's evidence that phosmet does just that to copper

http://enhs.umn.edu/current/5103_spring2003/prions/prionmetabolislm.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:17:01 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8952 8953 [8954] 8955 8956 ... 9987