Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8953 8954 [8955] 8956 8957 ... 9896

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5493504 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134310 on: February 01, 2018, 06:34:56 pm »

Seems a bit ironic to call it animal cruelty, though, unless you seek out cruelty-free meat.  That's tough enough to shop for normally, much less as pet food.  And if it's cruel to feed carnivores vegetables...  Should we stop feeding cows to cows?  Doesn't bother me, saves money and works fine.
This is what I based it on.
Comically talked past then, with a side of crazy pancake logic.

Humans are not strict carnivores. We are selective omnivores who are no more capable of eating every kind of plant than we are of eating every kind of meat. Talking about feeding a kid grass is simultaneously beside the point and entirely unrelated to the conversation at hand.

I'm trying to reason out why you think your statement is any way connected or meaningful, but, as stated, crazy pancake logic that seems completely unrelated to Rolan7's point. Human's do not require meat. Humans do not need require fruits and/or vegetables. We require a laundry list of vitamins and nutrients bundled with enough calories to keep the furnace running. Anything goes after that point.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I found Sub-Wikis
    • View Profile
« Reply #134311 on: February 01, 2018, 06:40:23 pm »

Well what about the people who 'eat' by staring at the sun?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134312 on: February 01, 2018, 06:44:05 pm »

Unless those people are part photosynthesizing plant, they aren't actually gaining anything except eye strain, Vitamin D, and an increased risk of skin cancer.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134313 on: February 01, 2018, 07:01:40 pm »

And if it's cruel to feed carnivores vegetables...  Should we stop feeding cows to cows?  Doesn't bother me, saves money and works fine.
This is what I based it on.
Comically talked past then, with a side of crazy pancake logic.

Humans are not strict carnivores. We are selective omnivores who are no more capable of eating every kind of plant than we are of eating every kind of meat. Talking about feeding a kid grass is simultaneously beside the point and entirely unrelated to the conversation at hand.

I'm trying to reason out why you think your statement is any way connected or meaningful, but, as stated, crazy pancake logic that seems completely unrelated to Rolan7's point. Human's do not require meat. Humans do not need require fruits and/or vegetables. We require a laundry list of vitamins and nutrients bundled with enough calories to keep the furnace running. Anything goes after that point.
They imply that feeding vegetables to carnivores (specifically cats) is not cruelty, I pointed out that feeding grass to a human is the same basic thing, both are things other animals can eat, that fail to provide necessary nutrients to the consumer, and pointed out that trying to say it wasn't cruelty would most likely fail in court

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #134314 on: February 01, 2018, 07:11:48 pm »

I don't really see the logic either, sorry.
I want you to try and feed a child only leaves and grass and tell the courts that's not cruelty because of feeding cows cow, tell me how that works out for you
An actual criticism would be that I was comparing the feeding of some meat to herbivores, to feeding only vegetables to a carnivore.  I was kinda worried I'd get called out on that.  Feeding grass to an omnivore has nothing to do with what I said :P

You'd make a good politician though.  "Think of the children my opponent would be starving if they did X!"
Cats require animal protein to live, that's why it's cruel.
Then the cats are dying?
The cats' needs *are* being met, thanks to synthesized taurine.  It probably doesn't taste as good, but if we should be in the business of maximizing the dining experience of animals, then livestock diet is a massively bigger problem than a few pet-owning vegans.

I consider pure veganism too extreme for me, I'd rather be vegetarian again or just buy carefully.  But it's not animal cruelty, especially by comparison.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #134315 on: February 01, 2018, 07:32:05 pm »

'tain't the only thing cats need though :P it's one of many vital things cats get through eating meat. A lot of these things get added to cat food.

I mean, if you're a vegan and want a pet, why not get a rabbit? Better than forcing your higher level thinking onto an animal that is quite happy to play with prey for hours before killing it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Did you know we have a mafia subforum? Check it out!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134316 on: February 01, 2018, 07:35:26 pm »

I am kind of late for the whole "ancient texts are pure and holy" discussion, but...
In short, people wrote a bunch of crap in parchments, it's just that not a lot has survived to this day.

We have plenty of stupid shit carved on rocks. Rocks are cheap, durable and accessible to the general public. Rocks were the fanfiction of the ancient world.

Heh, I do like that idea.  There's nothing wrong with GMO inherently, it's monocultures that are dangerous.
Exactly the reason it's such a terrible idea
I doubt there are any insurmountable problems.  The primary one seems to be taurine, which can be and is synthesized for this purpose.  That's kinda a waste of resources, but veganism is inherently inefficient compared to vegetarianism.

While we're at it, we should GMO humans to make Vitamin C. Humans + chimps are some of the only mammals that lost the vitamin-C gene, because we eat so much fruit anyway, genetic drift did away with it. It's still there, but mutated. We can patch that, and turn it back on, using something like CRISPR to spread it. Which would be a massive boon to public health, but also reduce environmental strain: making sure everyone has a diet rich in nutrients is environmentally costly. We should make humans self-sufficient for all nutrients that we could make ourselves.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:46:45 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134317 on: February 01, 2018, 07:45:09 pm »

I'm an extreme pacifist. But people who try to turn their cats into vegans give me the urge to start slapping face with blunt object, like a sock filled with hard beans (while screaming HERE'S YOUR VEGAN FOOD).
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #134318 on: February 01, 2018, 07:47:51 pm »

'tain't the only thing cats need though :P it's one of many vital things cats get through eating meat. A lot of these things get added to cat food.

I mean, if you're a vegan and want a pet, why not get a rabbit? Better than forcing your higher level thinking onto an animal that is quite happy to play with prey for hours before killing it.
Yeah good point... I don't think I understand the motivations of vegans enough to answer that!
I hope it's mostly about the living conditions of livestock animals.  I can get behind that, though there are easier ways than veganism.  There are cruelty-free options, especially for milk and eggs.

If it's about wanting to minimize their involvement in the inevitable cycle of life and death...  I respect their beliefs without sharing them *shrug*.  I would wonder if some people make feed their pets in a kosher/halal way, but actually I bet the answer is mostly no...  Those commandments were for human "cleanliness", not to avoid killing said animals.

Oh right, for actual WTF yet on-topic material, I did once see a couple of amusing debates over whether vegans could consume um...  Human materials.  Like biting fingernails!  And, you know, placentas.  And other stuff, use your imagination.

Also a religious question about the accidental consumption of one's own blood, heh.  (We were doing research for a Vampire the Requiem campaign)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Beyond Finality
    • View Profile
« Reply #134319 on: February 01, 2018, 08:34:59 pm »

Oh right, for actual WTF yet on-topic material, I did once see a couple of amusing debates over whether vegans could consume um...  Human materials.  Like biting fingernails!  And, you know, placentas.  And other stuff, use your imagination.

Yum, delicious human mucus.
We provide many things, none of which you want.
You want many things, none of which we have.
We have many things, none of which we provide.
You have many things, none of which you have.
We are many things, and all of them are yours.❤️

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134320 on: February 01, 2018, 08:41:01 pm »

Haven't been able to actually finish a multiplayer match in FighterZ in two days, despite numerous attempts, because the game either spontaneously disconnects you moments after entering a lobby for no reason, or disconnects you while you're in the middle of a match, again, for no reason. At this point I've collected over 100 screenshots (I think) that are literally nothing but pictures of connection errors.

The servers for this game are a fucking cruel joke and the "maintenance", in some strange twist of fate, actually managed to make it worse.

Except for the Xbox One version of the game, which is apparently A-OK now. Good for them I guess.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • :thonk:
    • View Profile
« Reply #134321 on: February 01, 2018, 08:55:16 pm »

Yum, delicious human mucus.

Vegans hate oral sex?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #134322 on: February 01, 2018, 09:18:16 pm »

Kidding aside, the overwhelming consensus appeared to be "no, there's no harm being done".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134323 on: February 01, 2018, 11:06:14 pm »

Watching some gameplay of... pokken tournament dx, apparently. Switch intermittently 3D fighting game. All I can think is that this is the most evil looking pikachu I've ever seen in official material. Little yellow shit looks like it's there specifically to beat the everloving hell out of anything that can't run away fast enough, and thoroughly enjoying every sadism infused minute of it. It's like the only two facial modes the bastard has is rape and murder.

Even what seems to be its friggin' idle animation is a sort of "hey, watch how violently I'm about to fuck this thing's face" sort of expression. Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

It's somewhere between uncanny and unsettling, with a degree of impressiveness directed both to whoever animated the apparently homicidal vermin and whoever convinced the project leads to let them go ahead with prison escapee pikachu, late of death row for the mass murder of dozens of intelligent beings, presumably only mostly non-human.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I found Sub-Wikis
    • View Profile
« Reply #134324 on: February 02, 2018, 12:21:11 am »

Pokemon just faint, so it's all good
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear