Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8753 8754 [8755] 8756 8757 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997019 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131310 on: March 07, 2018, 01:55:11 pm »

You know i didnt even realize that was cgi while i was watching it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131311 on: March 07, 2018, 02:00:27 pm »

I did, but I have a background in CGI and was advised beforehand.

I thought it was quite good, if ghoulish. I'm glad that they aren't trying that again anytime soon no matter how realistic it looks (according to Disney, at least).
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #131312 on: March 07, 2018, 02:00:57 pm »

Took me a while to figure it out, too.

Of all the things to be angry about regarding NuWars, that’s kind of a poor choice.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131313 on: March 07, 2018, 02:18:48 pm »

I couldn't tell either without a side-by-side like that, even after being informed ahead of time.  Probably helped that he didn't have much screen time though.
I haven't seen episode 8 yet so I have no idea how Leia is handled.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131314 on: March 07, 2018, 02:27:39 pm »

I couldn't tell either without a side-by-side like that, even after being informed ahead of time.  Probably helped that he didn't have much screen time though.
I haven't seen episode 8 yet so I have no idea how Leia is handled.

I wasn't sure about episode 8 myself either, so, I checked wiki and Carrie Fisher died months after filming was finished.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131315 on: March 07, 2018, 02:53:02 pm »

I"m going to guess a time-skip. We've got to have the knights of Ren after all.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131316 on: March 07, 2018, 02:53:18 pm »

Yeah there was no CGI with her. They did do young Leia for Rogue One.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131317 on: March 07, 2018, 03:14:37 pm »

Well, for the episode 9, wiki says that Carrie Fisher won't (or maybe never did) have a role in episode 9. I suppose it makes some sense since they're aiming to try to break from the past and break from the restraints of past canon.

If there is a time skip, it'll be months rather than years since this trilogy already took a 30 year timejump. Or even days or a week or two since the time jump between episode 7 and 8 either took place over a number of days or weeks (however long it takes for Rey to get to Anch-To from D'Quar) or the two overlap slightly, not sure from the synopsis.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:18:51 pm by smjjames »

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #131318 on: March 07, 2018, 03:55:45 pm »

Of all the things to be angry about regarding NuWars, that’s kind of a poor choice.
Not angry about it, think it's just odd and disrespectful.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #131319 on: March 07, 2018, 04:02:57 pm »

To me the odd thing is that... it doesnt really look lile the actor at all. I mean look at the side by side pics. Its good CGI, looks "real"... but it doesnt look any better than a Tarkin lookalike would have, and is significatively more expensive.

Heck, with planned lightning and strategic shots a lookalike might have been better.

Of course now there are neural nets that can do this stuff on the fly, so eventually cgi doubles might be a cheaper optiom who knows
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #131320 on: March 07, 2018, 04:03:53 pm »

For fun and giggles I had a look at my home town's wiki.
Wow, I didn't expect such a comprehensive guide. Amazed. It even has a full list of primary schools per district.

<shamelessly promotes his home town>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eindhoven

EDIT: heh, detail: under notable residents: Nicole van den Hurk, homicide victim.
This is how rare homicides are here, in a country were civilians don't have guns.
Although admittedly, the past few years have seen a dramatic rise in drug war gun murders. Blame EU open borders, much harder to keep illegal guns out of the country now.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:14:44 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131321 on: March 07, 2018, 04:21:14 pm »

To me the odd thing is that... it doesnt really look lile the actor at all.

That's probably because the CGI was designed to look like how Tarkin would look like if the shot was made using more modern cameras. There's more reflection and actually more detail in the CGI picture. I mean, if you make a side-by-side of a shot of an actor made with old cameras and one made with newer ones it'll look similar to the one of Tarkin.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131322 on: March 07, 2018, 04:30:06 pm »

Sorry this is long, but it's so relevant I can't resist: https://xkcd.com/1665/

I hadn't been to my hometown's wiki page before today, but I did occasionally browse the subreddit for my previous locale.
The subreddit for my current locale is... interesting and resonant!  A complaint about sports-obsession, someone my age looking for place to move in, and lots of hiking/biking stuff.  And just a lot of really interesting local things.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #131323 on: March 07, 2018, 04:31:15 pm »

Its not that. The shape of the head, the face.. looks different... more elongated
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131324 on: March 07, 2018, 04:38:50 pm »

Tarkin always looked a little ghoulish even back when he was "alive". I have no qualms with Peter Cushing as an actor or anything, but he was so damn gaunt in Star Wars. CGI characters may still look a little uncanny, but it fit Tarkin pretty well.

CGI Leia was only on-screen for a few seconds and said exactly one word, so I never noticed anything wrong with her face. If hypothetical CGI Stan Lee cameos are limited in similar ways, it might not be too bad.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8753 8754 [8755] 8756 8757 ... 10973