Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8773 8774 [8775] 8776 8777 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13169463 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #131610 on: March 18, 2018, 10:40:17 pm »

I have some qualms concerning the use of "feminism" to connote equality concerning both sexes, but that's fairly minor. I'd say I'm pro-equality, but not a feminist.

Anyway, I suppose the local breed of feminists thought they were rewarding transgenders with their own special room in which to toilette. Bonus points because they get to lump two minorities - disabled and sexually deviant - together. A case of 'what we think minorities want', perhaps? Either way, doesn't impact me negatively unless I want to use the trans-toilet. Which, like a considerable number of disabled people, I will never do.

I feel I may have garbled my point somewhat, but it's twenty to four and I no longer care :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #131611 on: March 18, 2018, 10:50:33 pm »

I have some qualms concerning the use of "feminism" to connote equality concerning both sexes, but that's fairly minor. I'd say I'm pro-equality, but not a feminist.

A good description of mainstream feminism is "Equalists that recognize attacking all inequalities at once is a fool's errands, so they focus on the inequalities suffered by women" . A big part of the perception problem is that feminists are the just about the only group of equalists that have a distinct, snappy name of that sort. You wouldn't call the NCAAP "blackists", for example. This opens up the movement not only to "they are female supremacists - look what they call themselves!" type accusations, but also to having the lunatic fringe of the movement stick to the mainstream in a way that doesn't happen with other groups.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131612 on: March 18, 2018, 10:51:32 pm »

Anyway, I suppose the local breed of feminists thought they were rewarding transgenders with their own special room in which to toilette. Bonus points because they get to lump two minorities - disabled and sexually deviant - together. A case of 'what we think minorities want', perhaps? Either way, doesn't impact me negatively unless I want to use the trans-toilet. Which, like a considerable number of disabled people, I will never do.

I feel I may have garbled my point somewhat, but it's twenty to four and I no longer care :P
I think what minorities want is to not be treated like minorities.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131613 on: March 18, 2018, 11:03:22 pm »

I think the term “feminism” to mean “equality”, is itself an attempt at equality, seeing as “man” got lumped in as a unisex humanity noun.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131614 on: March 18, 2018, 11:06:35 pm »

A good description of mainstream feminism is "Equalists that recognize attacking all inequalities at once is a fool's errands, so they focus on the inequalities suffered by women" . A big part of the perception problem is that feminists are the just about the only group of equalists that have a distinct, snappy name of that sort. You wouldn't call the NCAAP "blackists", for example. This opens up the movement not only to "they are female supremacists - look what they call themselves!" type accusations, but also to having the lunatic fringe of the movement stick to the mainstream in a way that doesn't happen with other groups.
Well, perhaps it's also associated with the central premise - that women are the focus of this inequality.

I think what minorities want is to not be treated like minorities.
Most certainly. I'd disagree with disabled toilets too, were they not a necessity. Trans people should use the toilets which, presumably, they had been using all their lives and which correspond to their sex, or they should use the more neutral disabled toilet if they so prefer. I'm not much in favour of making the majority uncomfortable to pander to the minority.
I think the term “feminism” to mean “equality”, is itself an attempt at equality, seeing as “man” got lumped in as a unisex humanity noun.
Alas, it instead makes it seem less like equality and more like.... well, female-ism.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131615 on: March 18, 2018, 11:07:58 pm »

Yep. Same as the confusion between 'Men' and 'Mankind'.
Just a much, much more incendiary topic.

Edit: In WTF news; been watching the Netflix Series 'Dirty Money'. The whole doco mini-series is about the dangers of capitalism and yet I'm watching it whilst going 'What are they trying to sell me?' I figured it was just my natural skepticism.
Turns out the last episode is anti-Trump. Which is fine, if politics is the angle they want to shoot for. Somehow though, it seems to have lost some legitimacy for me.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:12:01 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131616 on: March 18, 2018, 11:34:49 pm »

On principle, I dislike redefining words away from their lingual roots.

Feminism is a combination of Feminine, the female gender-- and --ism, (from dictionary.com) "a suffix appearing in loanwords from Greek, where it was used to form action nouns from verbs ( baptism); on this model, used as a productive suffix in the formation of nouns denoting action or practice, state or condition, principles, doctrines, a usage or characteristic, devotion or adherence, etc. ( criticism; barbarism; Darwinism; despotism; plagiarism; realism; witticism; intellectualism)."

Together, this literally means "The practice or state of being female."

If you want gender equality, then use a proper term, like "Equalitarianism"

If you claim you are a feminist, I will take you for your word, that you promote the state of being female over other issues, and are thus not interested in equality. No, you do not get to redefine words to suit your whims.

If you claim to want equality between people in all ways, please call yourself an equalitarian, as that is the correct word to use.  I am an equalitarian. NOT a feminist.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131617 on: March 18, 2018, 11:36:58 pm »

Feminism is a combination of Feminine, the female gender-- and --ism, (from dictionary.com) "a suffix appearing in loanwords from Greek, where it was used to form action nouns from verbs ( baptism); on this model, used as a productive suffix in the formation of nouns denoting action or practice, state or condition, principles, doctrines, a usage or characteristic, devotion or adherence, etc. ( criticism; barbarism; Darwinism; despotism; plagiarism; realism; witticism; intellectualism)."

If you claim you are a feminist, I will take you for your word, that you promote the state of being female over other issues, and are thus not interested in equality. No, you do not get to redefine words to suit your whims.

If you claim to want equality between people in all ways, please call yourself an equalitarian, as that is the correct word to use.  I am an equalitarian. NOT a feminist.
Indeed.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131618 on: March 19, 2018, 12:05:15 am »

Heh.  It's tempting to laugh at the Latin root words, but it's understandable.

Sure, the etymology of the word is literally as you say, "Of being female".
Welcome to the 19th century, though.

It's the name of a movement for equality.  Not supremacy, as many on both sides would now claim!  It's a movement which has existed for over a GODS DAMN CENTURY, dedicated to nothing more than mere equality.  That has always been the goal of Feminism.  And loud memesters, "empowererd" by the internet and twitter, can't change that.

Third-Wave "Feminism" has shit-all to do with actual Feminism.  It's supremacy pure and simple, and it's horrible.  It's an unsurprising and disgusting overreaction, largely by teens who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Feminism, as defined by Merriam Webster and also OVER A CENTURY of actual activism, is for equality of genders.  No more, no less.  These third-wave "feminists" piss on everything that's been accomplished.

Feminism literally means "about women", and "Democrat" literally means a government where we all vote on every single issue.  That's not actually what either word means, is it?
Feminism means gender equality.  Has for over a century.
Supremacists of any stripe can get wrekt.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:07:00 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #131619 on: March 19, 2018, 12:11:10 am »

No, you do not get to redefine words to suit your whims.
Neither do you.
The word means something other than what its roots suggest in common usage. This is true of several words. Knowing a bit of latin is not licence to intentionally misinterpret people.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131620 on: March 19, 2018, 12:17:50 am »

An awareness of linguistic drift would suggest that not only do they get to do exactly that, they have a gay old time doing so, if not incontinently. It's a continuous process: some hep cat comes up with a neologism, the villains start repeating it, and off we go; what may start as a spur-of-the-moment construction or even an unintentional boner can end up becoming vulgarly accepted, and suddenly everyone insisting on the old way comes off as a right boob.

But hey, by all means, stand at the seashore and order back the tide.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131621 on: March 19, 2018, 12:18:41 am »

Hey guys wanna see my memes
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131622 on: March 19, 2018, 12:19:35 am »

Heh.  It's tempting to laugh at the Latin root words, but it's understandable.

Sure, the etymology of the word is literally as you say, "Of being female".
Welcome to the 19th century, though.

It's the name of a movement for equality.  Not supremacy, as many on both sides would now claim!  It's a movement which has existed for over a GODS DAMN CENTURY, dedicated to nothing more than mere equality.  That has always been the goal of Feminism.  And loud memesters, "empowererd" by the internet and twitter, can't change that.

Third-Wave "Feminism" has shit-all to do with actual Feminism.  It's supremacy pure and simple, and it's horrible.  It's an unsurprising and disgusting overreaction, largely by teens who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Feminism, as defined by Merriam Webster and also OVER A CENTURY of actual activism, is for equality of genders.  No more, no less.  These third-wave "feminists" piss on everything that's been accomplished.

Feminism literally means "about women", and "Democrat" literally means a government where we all vote on every single issue.  That's not actually what either word means, is it?
Feminism means gender equality.  Has for over a century.
Feminism is the pursuit of equality for women. Sometimes even greater rights for women as, despite objections, such people do call themselves feminist and do follow the "rights for women" line. I'm gonna go for a snooze now, 'cause it's quarter past five what am I even doing up. I will conclude my participation by saying that the name feminism at the very least connotes what I just defined it as to many, many, many people. If you have to keep saying to people "no, it means equality for all genders, not just women!!" then why not switch to a more neutral term over which there will be no confusion.

Hey guys wanna see my memes
Yes
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131623 on: March 19, 2018, 12:32:58 am »

I see the etymology more like this:

19th century politics was dominated by men; women were not a real represented demographic in the political circles if power. A movement specifically endorsing the empowerment of that demographic appears, and names itself appropriately. It promoted the status of being female.

Fast-forward a century and women hold basically equal political power, yet the movement still focuses on female political issues. Having achieved political power, and denigrating as being innately misogynist any group that rightly seeks protections for men, even when now such groups have a real need to exist, while retaining the movement focus and name, I still stand behind the condemnation I just made earlier.

Redefining the term so as to false equivalent the movement is pure political bullshit, and it needs to be stopped.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:54:05 am by wierd »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #131624 on: March 19, 2018, 12:40:02 am »

An awareness of linguistic drift would suggest that not only do they get to do exactly that, they have a gay old time doing so, if not incontinently. It's a continuous process: some hep cat comes up with a neologism, the villains start repeating it, and off we go; what may start as a spur-of-the-moment construction or even an unintentional boner can end up becoming vulgarly accepted, and suddenly everyone insisting on the old way comes off as a right boob.

But hey, by all means, stand at the seashore and order back the tide.

You literally started that off the best way possible. Like, literally and literally.

* hector13 gets his coat

I am sad I was late to the bandwagon.

Also, toilets. Everybody does (literal) shit they don’t want other people to see or hear in there, what does it matter what you have between your legs when you’re doing it? Fuck feminism, man; evacuation equality is what we need. The term might need work, but whatever.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 8773 8774 [8775] 8776 8777 ... 10983