Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8850 8851 [8852] 8853 8854 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13152609 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132765 on: April 16, 2018, 06:16:11 pm »

Wait, really? I thought it said you'd get more XP/loot for playing on hard... Well, that explains a few things.

Yeah, you´d expect that. I expected that. i assumed that was the truth. But in game they never actually said that, and in practice it isn´t so. Maybe loot is better (or maybe not), but I´m pretty sure XP is the same (or as sure as I can be without putting it to the test, and I honestly don´t want to start running side by side comparisons, even simple ones)
PD: quick googling says that, indeed, XP does not affect XP or loot: https://steamcommunity.com/app/200710/discussions/0/864948299985596697/
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/604445-torchlight-ii/67029640

It certainly explains my frustration. My biggest beef with TL was that character progression was really slow and you had to grind a lot. Well, turn down the difficulty and you get the same XP without grinding that much.  I think probably Veteran is a good compromise as Normal does feel a bit overpowered towards the character
PD: apparently TL1 had the same issue but level progression was less f*ed up so you actually got to play with new skills at a more reasonable rate... I think part of the issue  with TL2 is that there's a XP abyss to simply unlock the higher tier skills (and you sorely need those if you're playing at higher diff)
It'd have been more reasonable to give you the toys earlier and then delay maxing them

And yeah, I sank a few hours into it, and I liked a lot of the design decisions... But something just didn't feel right. It was too... sterile. Everything was so neatly packaged and perfectly tied up with a bow that you couldn't really penetrate the exterior and get into it. Or maybe I just got tired of the art style...

i kind of get what you mean. I didn´t mind it though. I mean, the style is more colorful than Diablo, even a bit whimsical, if you like, but even so the world is quite dark. If anything there is a stark contrast between the art style and the darkness of the material, so I dont mind it.
Story itself is kind of an excuse plot, though, far more than in the other games in the series. I´d kind of like someone to write in a different campaign story, even if it´s not 100% necessary for these games.

It's a shame. Lots of the original devs from Diablo 2 moved house to work on Torchlight after they felt the recent decisions from Blizzard high command weren't all that great... And then Blizzard poops out Diablo 3, and that is what it is. So, both of Diablo's legacies ended up being kinda... Disappointing.
I honestly like the Torchlight games. TL1 was a "back to the roots" game, TL2 was... pretty much the same as TL1; more polished, but worse story-wise. And like I said, level progression is messy in no small measure because of the XP difficulty thing. (seriously, the game has improved miles for me after figuring this out. Before that I was endlessly grinding and I always got bored by act 2)

It´s sad that Runicgames closed down, though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:38:46 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132766 on: April 17, 2018, 06:13:12 am »

Re: Ragnarok
Surprisingly I didn’t like the Korg addition. He was funny, but after every one of his ‘bits’ I had the thought of “how much accumulated film time has this one character taken up now?”

The rest I didn’t find mind blowing but it was engineered to be enjoyable so I consumed it adequately.

Edit: re; fire guy.
I cannot think of a single martyr who pushed their cause more with their death than with their fighting life
Someone who chooses to die in such a way has likely given up on the fight, and reasoned that their existence as a symbol would better serve their cause than a fade into obscurity.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:23:31 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #132767 on: April 17, 2018, 07:32:30 am »

you're wrong because for some reason people love martyrdom, hence martyrs work wonders for your cause. Even people retconned as martyrs
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132769 on: April 17, 2018, 08:37:42 am »

Watched a pair of mallards climbing trees and landing up trees. Never seen that happen before though I have watched a moorhen go up a tree.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132770 on: April 17, 2018, 09:08:12 am »

Ducks are actually one of the fastest fliers, with cruise speeds around 70km/h.
But yeah, climbing trees and landing on treetops, that's indeed quite a feat for their webbed toes.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132771 on: April 17, 2018, 09:31:44 am »

Ducks are actually one of the fastest fliers, with cruise speeds around 70km/h.
But yeah, climbing trees and landing on treetops, that's indeed quite a feat for their webbed toes.

I know theres at least a few species of duck that nest in trees.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #132772 on: April 17, 2018, 09:35:31 am »

Yeah, but I would've thought they would fly into the trees.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #132773 on: April 17, 2018, 09:47:07 am »

Depends on how much they had the night before.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132774 on: April 17, 2018, 10:28:48 am »

A crow flew into the back of my head this morning.  Pretty sure it was unintentional.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #132775 on: April 17, 2018, 10:29:39 am »

"I meant to do that".
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132776 on: April 17, 2018, 10:30:10 am »

Check your dog's back for missing hair. I suspect the crow took some.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132777 on: April 17, 2018, 10:58:21 am »

Edit: re; fire guy.
I cannot think of a single martyr who pushed their cause more with their death than with their fighting life
Someone who chooses to die in such a way has likely given up on the fight, and reasoned that their existence as a symbol would better serve their cause than a fade into obscurity.

Let's also not forget the sacrifice of Thicc Duck. Kinda the poster child of self-immolation for the sake of protesting and exposing the mistreatment and oppression of a minority.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #132778 on: April 17, 2018, 11:10:48 am »

The self-immolating monk ended up becoming cool album art for Rage Against the Machine's debut album
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132779 on: April 17, 2018, 11:12:09 am »

Alternatively he was simply suicidal and decided to make the most of his death by claiming it had a purpose.

Similar to how Martin McGuinness claimed he stepped down from his position because of issues with the DUP, when in reality his bad health was the cause. Make it look like a noble sacrifice when it was in some way inevitable anyway.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8850 8851 [8852] 8853 8854 ... 10981