Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8855 8856 [8857] 8858 8859 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995581 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #132840 on: April 20, 2018, 12:01:38 am »

Japan never really thinks these things through...

(I mean, for starters, this girl would have to literally eat like a horse to keep a body that size going-- Additionally, the brain/body ratio is going to be all whack with a body like that so she is gonna be about as smart as a bag of rocks, because most of her brain would be used to produce the signals needed just to move that huge body around-- then you have the total unwieldiness of a body like that; Just think about it-- even at a full torso twist and arm extension, she wont be able to reach her hind feet, or wipe her own butt.  Speaking of this latter, do you have any idea how absurd it would be to expect a toucas that big to sit on a toilet? Honestly japan--- I know you have weirdess as a social identifier, but this is just odd even by your standards.)

To be perfectly fair, all of those apply pretty much to any centaur.

This is true, but the Greek ones were blatantly magical, and so get a pass. These ones supposedly "evolved" from humans.  Somehow.

So, since these are totally mundane--- again,
1) Caloric needs are off the chart compared to normal humans; would have to eat way more to stay alive.
2) normal human sized cranium + huge body == dumb as rocks.
3) Physiological inability to preform proper peri-care
4) would need special toilets/would rip a normal toilet off the wall if they sat on it/would have to flush repeatedly during elimination. (see item 1 again, combine with item 3-- wont be able to reach flush lever while sitting.)

Somehow we are expected to believe that with all these problems that would result in poor sanitation and hygiene, that these creatures would be in any way clean, smart, and attractive.....

Again, Japan, go home you are drunk.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132841 on: April 20, 2018, 12:06:16 am »

Bizarrely, they actually brought up the peri-care thing in EP1.  No explanation, more a lampshade (and flirtatious teasing, barf).  Though apparently fat centaurs lose the flexibility to (somehow) do it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132842 on: April 20, 2018, 12:11:47 am »

Japan never really thinks these things through...

(I mean, for starters, this girl would have to literally eat like a horse to keep a body that size going-- Additionally, the brain/body ratio is going to be all whack with a body like that so she is gonna be about as smart as a bag of rocks, because most of her brain would be used to produce the signals needed just to move that huge body around-- then you have the total unwieldiness of a body like that; Just think about it-- even at a full torso twist and arm extension, she wont be able to reach her hind feet, or wipe her own butt.  Speaking of this latter, do you have any idea how absurd it would be to expect a toucas that big to sit on a toilet? Honestly japan--- I know you have weirdess as a social identifier, but this is just odd even by your standards.)

To be perfectly fair, all of those apply pretty much to any centaur.

This is true, but the Greek ones were blatantly magical, and so get a pass. These ones supposedly "evolved" from humans.  Somehow.

So, since these are totally mundane--- again,
1) Caloric needs are off the chart compared to normal humans; would have to eat way more to stay alive.
2) normal human sized cranium + huge body == dumb as rocks.
3) Physiological inability to preform proper peri-care
4) would need special toilets/would rip a normal toilet off the wall if they sat on it/would have to flush repeatedly during elimination. (see item 1 again, combine with item 3-- wont be able to reach flush lever while sitting.)

Somehow we are expected to believe that with all these problems that would result in poor sanitation and hygiene, that these creatures would be in any way clean, smart, and attractive.....

Again, Japan, go home you are drunk.
Well I guess to be fair horses seem to manage fine in the sanitation department. Unlike humans horses are not bipedal and so have way less problems with things like waste and birth. You would basically just have an omnivorous horse that is as smart as a dumb human. The real question is how do the internal organs work? Are there two sets?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132843 on: April 20, 2018, 12:21:30 am »

Horses are rather dirty back there, and only really pull it off because they have a very high fiber diet. (Dietary fiber as sponge for metabolic waste products, very different texture and composition to human fecal matter) This individual would presumably be eating a traditional japanese diet, not green grass. That means cleachy human-like poos.  That means nasty booty all the time.

Now, I suppose in Japan they would have special toilets with washlets (given japan's love affair with washlets and special toilets in general), but that just makes me glad I am not a janitor in their world.

Still dumb as rocks, and needing way more food than normal. Also, what evolutionary pressures would cause human evolution to diverge like this?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #132844 on: April 20, 2018, 12:24:36 am »

Sexual desire for monster girls, of course.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132845 on: April 20, 2018, 12:40:24 am »

Also, what evolutionary pressures would cause human evolution to diverge like this?
Literally impossible. Evolution works on preexisting variation in a population and its effects on fitness. fitness being reproductive capability and suitability. I think the only way something like a centaur could exist is highly advanced genetic engineering and no ethics. I fully expect future people to give themselves tails and stuff because they can. It would not be unbelievable that someone would attempt such an abomination as a centaur.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132846 on: April 20, 2018, 12:50:16 am »

Also, what evolutionary pressures would cause human evolution to diverge like this?
Literally impossible. Evolution works on preexisting variation in a population and its effects on fitness. fitness being reproductive capability and suitability. I think the only way something like a centaur could exist is highly advanced genetic engineering and no ethics. I fully expect future people to give themselves tails and stuff because they can. It would not be unbelievable that someone would attempt such an abomination as a centaur.

Well if genetics are putty in their hands, to the degree that they could create a non-ruminating centaur in the first place, they could possibly get around the brain size thing by having some of it extend along the spine, or even doing things like offloading the endocrine system down to near the heart, but that causes its own set of terrible, and terribly challenging problems (most of which I'm sure are beyond the ability of current science to even diagnose, let alone solve) assuming they could even do it in the first place.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132847 on: April 20, 2018, 12:56:04 am »

Another possibility would be incorporating bird DNA for more compact neurons, so that more neurons in total can fit in the same size braincase, but that just FURTHER increases the metabolic needs of the resulting organism.

http://www.pnas.org/content/113/26/7255

But you dont get that from existing mammalian evolutionary patterns. Only with a research lab.

Also, horses are not ruminants. It's a common mistake, but this is one of the reasons why horses cant eat certain things that cows can, and also why they need to eat more in total than a cow does. (Less efficient GI tract)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:58:52 am by wierd »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #132848 on: April 20, 2018, 01:30:54 am »

If she broke a leg, would they have to shoot her?
Presumably either this monster school has specialized facilities for species with her needs or she gets help from someone else. And yeah, horses are filthy fuckers all the time, but, in terms of actual biological need/health, they dont need a lot of help in the sanitation department.

My horses have absolutely wrecked this one poor young ponderosa tree in their pasture, using it as a scratching post to scratch their asses. Its alive, but theres only one branch below ass height that hasnt been broken off and still has some vegetation on it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132849 on: April 20, 2018, 01:45:19 am »

If you're still interested in anime recommendations (since it doesn't seem like this one is any good), may I recommend Death Note? If you want the premise, it goes like this:

Smart but angsty teenager is mad at the world, and so for the lols, a death god gives him a notebook that allows him to kill anyone he wants though with a few caveats. Kid immediately goes power mad and starts executing criminals left and right. Naturally this draws the attention of the authorities, but unfortunately they aren't prepared to deal with a supernatural threat. Here enters L, a genius who has a strong record of solving cases that the police can't. The two become engaged in a battle of wits between eachother and brilliant power plays are made by both sides as they try to discover the other's identity. It's a very intelligent show, and it avoids many of the "dumb person trying to write a smart person" that you see in a lot of TV shows. Give it a try. The show gets going by the second episode so you don't have to wait too long to figure out if it's worth your time or not.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #132850 on: April 20, 2018, 01:49:50 am »

If you're still interested in anime recommendations (since it doesn't seem like this one is any good), may I recommend Death Note? If you want the premise, it goes like this:

Smart but angsty teenager is mad at the world, and so for the lols, a death god gives him a notebook that allows him to kill anyone he wants though with a few caveats. Kid immediately goes power mad and starts executing criminals left and right. Naturally this draws the attention of the authorities, but unfortunately they aren't prepared to deal with a supernatural threat. Here enters L, a genius who has a strong record of solving cases that the police can't. The two become engaged in a battle of wits between eachother and brilliant power plays are made by both sides as they try to discover the other's identity. It's a very intelligent show, and it avoids many of the "dumb person trying to write a smart person" that you see in a lot of TV shows. Give it a try. The show gets going by the second episode so you don't have to wait too long to figure out if it's worth your time or not.

Tl;dr version: all according to keikaku.

TN note: keikaku means plan
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132851 on: April 20, 2018, 05:07:25 am »

The birds.

The birds are glowing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132852 on: April 20, 2018, 06:24:01 am »

I love how on bay 12 we discuss the logistics of a centaur in an anime..... Also, bay 12 on Firefox mobile is WEIRD

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132853 on: April 20, 2018, 06:51:42 am »

I've tried watching anime a couple times. I watched about a season of Attack on Titan, a smattering of One Punch Man (probably out of order), and I once made a valiant attempt at watching Cowboy Bebop (the intro song is murder to my ears).

Pretty much the only one I ever really enjoyed and mourned the ending of was Ghost Stories. And, well... That's kind of its own kettle of fish.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #132854 on: April 20, 2018, 07:21:50 am »

I quite liked Re:Zero
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8855 8856 [8857] 8858 8859 ... 10973