Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8898 8899 [8900] 8901 8902 ... 9854

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5971408 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • D'yeh feel that stirrin', longfriends?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133485 on: May 10, 2018, 03:06:49 am »

Meaty sleeve. Kinda shoddy to be honest, but it's good for some things.
There can be no escape, only victory.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133486 on: May 10, 2018, 05:11:18 am »

I do wonder if TLJ is gonna get vindicated by history over the next two decades or so once the weirdness dies down and we get a third film to put it all into context. After all, The Empire Strikes Back wasn't quite as well regarded when it came out.

I hope so. I think it's a great movie.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133487 on: May 10, 2018, 07:35:57 am »

I hope not because it sucked and if it succeed Star Wars will stick with writing scripts manatee style

https://youtu.be/tyetbvrQjOs
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • How are you a cop again?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133488 on: May 10, 2018, 09:35:03 am »

I do wonder if TLJ is gonna get vindicated by history over the next two decades or so once the weirdness dies down and we get a third film to put it all into context. After all, The Empire Strikes Back wasn't quite as well regarded when it came out.

If I remember correctly, the director or writer for TLJ admitted that they were pretty much winging things and there was no big, overarching plan they were supposed to follow. So the third film isn't going to provide context so much as excuses, since it doesn't have a coherent, overarching plotline to follow but has to make something up itself.

Also I feel that even after the weirdness dies down, TLJ isn't going to be completely vindicated. Some of its issues are structural/fundamental, like how you can chop out several good chunks of the movie and miss nothing or how part of the plot is caused by that purple-haired Admiral appearing incompetent/useless when she has no reason to seem that way. The kind of stuff that can't be papered over by another movie.

Mind you, I'm still hoping that Episode 9 has sassy force ghost Luke talking/interacting with Kylo Ren. Atoning for his mistakes and trying to help his wayward apprentice and the like. It is probably highly unlikely to occur but still.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONSUMES_VERMIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133489 on: May 10, 2018, 10:27:37 am »

The nature of the article and the disclaimer suggests that most haters are alt right. AKA with that sort of disclaimer they are begging the question
OKAY

We need to stop right here. There's a bit too much of a disconnect between reality and fantasy. It's actually worrying.

Quote from: article
If bot accounts did indeed attack the “Last Jedi” ratings, it’s unknown what impact, if any, they actually had on the overall audience score. Not everyone who rated the movie poorly is an anti-feminist fanatic, of course. Either way, Rotten Tomatoes is dubious about Down With Disney’s claims.

The rest of the article (more than half) goes on to discuss how every ratings site mentioned sees no evidence of bot use.

In fact, the title of the article is "The alt-right claims credit for Last Jedi" backlash. Notice that it doesn't say, "is responsible for", it says claims. Because half the evidence it shows suggests that the alt-right group it contacted were either lying or ineffective. I'm starting to think you haven't even skimmed the piece, but that just makes your problems with it even more concerning. You object to the "nature of the article" (reporting on something you'd rather hadn't come up?) and the disclaimed that explicitly denied that there was any certainty the alt-right were even involved. So someone even considering the possibility that the alt-right weren't fibbing isn't ok? I don't suppose you'd be okay with an article that didn't "beg the question" or explicitly say that the alt-right claims might be false either.

As far as I can tell, the only article on this subject you'd accept would be one that didn't exist. And if you can't stomach huffpost articles that work from facts and have qualified and uncertain conclusions, you really shouldn't be exposed to the rest of the internet.

Hate to say it, but somebody has a persecution complex here. Disliked the film myself, and it seems like the general public shared my opinion, but that doesn't mean I object to factual articles.
I'm not around much anymore. I'll still check PMs though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133490 on: May 10, 2018, 10:32:02 am »

No, you're just a drama queen. I didnt reply to the article, I replied to *your* post. And then you went onto a tirade.
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133491 on: May 10, 2018, 10:56:08 am »

We should probably all take a chill pill. It's fine to discuss the issues, but not snark on other people.

The rest of the article (more than half) goes on to discuss how every ratings site mentioned sees no evidence of bot use.

But nobody cited that article in the first place. The ones that were presented as evidence (links repeated below) have the "alt right stacked the scores" claim, but don't have any inkling of a rebuttal. I was making a claim about what these articles say, not the hypothetical contents of other articles I hadn't read, at the time.

When articles cite another article in-line, they choose what information to convey to give you the gist of the article, and what to omit. This can be quite telling about what spin the new article is trying to put on the original story.

In this case, they chose to tell you that alt-right people claim to have skewed the votes, but omit the details that the claim came from one guy, that he claimed to have used a bot, and that the claim was dismissed by Rotten Tomatoes. Basically they omitted all the actual important information. You're left (by these two articles) with the impression that there was an organized swarm of actual living right-wingers who admit to coordinating between themselves to downvote the thing. Something that's not supported at all by the article they link. And the impression you're meant to be left with (by the two articles I cited) is that this casts aspersions on anyone who - manually - left a poor review, of being Alt-Right and/or a literal Nazi.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/how-the-alt-right-and-nostalgic-trolls-hijacked-geek-pop-culture
https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/12/21/25647911/the-fact-that-the-alt-right-hates-star-wars-the-last-jedi-shouldnt-surprise-you
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:26:27 am by Reelya »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONSUMES_VERMIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133492 on: May 10, 2018, 11:00:20 am »

No, you're just a drama queen. I didnt reply to the article, I replied to *your* post. And then you went onto a tirade.
...I didn't post on this before, but that sort of accuracy obviously isn't your main concern.

You clearly were talking about the article. Unless when you say, "the nature of the article and the disclaimer", you don't actually mean the article and its contents.

And yes, I did go on a tirade. People misrepresenting matters of fact and objecting to reasonable journalism because it offends their hyper-sensitive emotions irritates me.

I don't know about the general reporting of the claimed tampering. Chairman and I were discussing a specific article.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #133493 on: May 10, 2018, 11:28:46 am »

The king hasn't been feeling well since the queen died, they said.

Edit: well okay that's supposed to be a ghost I guess

but I'm not some kind of chosen one or something my dude is just a rando merchant guy trying to make a buck

apparently merchant powers in this universe comes with "see and communicate with the restless dead" as a perk

not even death will save you from marketing
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #133494 on: May 10, 2018, 11:57:42 am »

but I'm not some kind of chosen one or something my dude is just a rando merchant guy trying to make a buck

apparently merchant powers in this universe comes with "see and communicate with the restless dead" as a perk

tombstones as billboards when, invest in graveyards as the newest frontier in advertising

make the grieving pay to give grandma the bigger iOS 11 tombstone and put nasty uncle henry in the dirt with a little shitty itWorks headstone

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133495 on: May 10, 2018, 12:09:58 pm »

tombstones as billboards when, invest in graveyards as the newest frontier in advertising

make the grieving pay to give grandma the bigger iOS 11 tombstone and put nasty uncle henry in the dirt with a little shitty itWorks headstone

The planned obsolescence on these coffins is getting really irritating, I can't keep digging up grandma every few years to update her to the latest wooden box.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133496 on: May 10, 2018, 12:14:42 pm »

...I didn't post on this before, but that sort of accuracy obviously isn't your main concern.

You clearly were talking about the article. Unless when you say, "the nature of the article and the disclaimer", you don't actually mean the article and its contents.

And yes, I did go on a tirade. People misrepresenting matters of fact and objecting to reasonable journalism because it offends their hyper-sensitive emotions irritates me.

I don't know about the general reporting of the claimed tampering. Chairman and I were discussing a specific article.
I very much specifically said I was not referring to a specific article. Its in a quote in your post, even

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #133497 on: May 10, 2018, 12:39:09 pm »

I was able to install Battle.net on my D drive (much larger, but non-SSD).  Had to use the directory picker instead of just changing the letter, but fine.  Installed Starcraft 2, which worked great - remarkably good load times!

...Yeah, it installed Starcraft 2 on the C drive and I didn't notice.  Last night I'm on the final Terran mission and the autosaves start failing.  Sure enough, it's filled up my drive with saves (also I had redownloaded MechWarrior4Mercs, which is still freeware BTW).

And alt-tabbing doesn't "crash" Starcraft 2, oh no.  It just breaks the rendering entirely.  You can still hear the menus, but not see them, and they aren't keyboard-navigable.  Even alt-F4 or rightclick-close just bring up the "would you like to quit?" menu option, which is useless because you can't see it, so you have to use the task manager to kill the process.  But I guess UI design is tricky for an indie dev like fricken Blizzard :P

(I'm not really mad though, it was last night and I was staying up too late anyway.  And these last couple missions have been pretty dang easy, with all the upgrades I accumulated.)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONSUMES_VERMIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133498 on: May 10, 2018, 01:25:47 pm »

I very much specifically said I was not referring to a specific article. Its in a quote in your post, even
You referred to the article, and it's disclaimer, in the quote in my post. Unless you're confusing me with someone else, you've done that before.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133499 on: May 10, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »

If I remember correctly, the director or writer for TLJ admitted that they were pretty much winging things and there was no big, overarching plan they were supposed to follow. So the third film isn't going to provide context so much as excuses, since it doesn't have a coherent, overarching plotline to follow but has to make something up itself.

Also I feel that even after the weirdness dies down, TLJ isn't going to be completely vindicated. Some of its issues are structural/fundamental, like how you can chop out several good chunks of the movie and miss nothing or how part of the plot is caused by that purple-haired Admiral appearing incompetent/useless when she has no reason to seem that way. The kind of stuff that can't be papered over by another movie.

Mind you, I'm still hoping that Episode 9 has sassy force ghost Luke talking/interacting with Kylo Ren. Atoning for his mistakes and trying to help his wayward apprentice and the like. It is probably highly unlikely to occur but still.

I didn't mean that a third film would fix TLJ necessarily (and goodness knows it's far from a perfect film and I'm far from its greatest fan), but more that the existence of a sequel trilogy in a vaguely complete state might create the kind of space where TLJ's successes as well as its failures get more recognition, generally speaking. There's also something to be said for how rewatching a given film and knowing what it is about and where it all leads up to can foster a familiarity and enjoyment of it that wasn't there before. A recent example that comes to mind is Mikey Neumann's take on TLJ where he talks about how the film's themes and ideas increasingly clicked as he watched it a second and third time. I imagine something like that writ large for the films as a whole, in the form of how people hold up the original trilogy as godlike achievements of filmmaking at least partly because of how intensely familiar they are with their every element, or how others can come up with fairly in-depth reads of the prequel trilogy as detailing a fundamental failure of the Jedi ideology (and possibly neoliberalism?) that The Last Jedi engages with a bit more directly.

But really I just hope the internet dialectic of postmodernist neomarxist sjews vs. Nazi gamer scum one day stops permeating literally everything, like holy shit is that a depressing zeitgeist to be trapped in.
Pages: 1 ... 8898 8899 [8900] 8901 8902 ... 9854