Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8906 8907 [8908] 8909 8910 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997521 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133605 on: May 08, 2018, 07:07:11 am »

Escalators. 
Japan: everyone stays on left side, so people in rush could pass on the right
China/Hong Kong: 'please don't walk' reminder is endlessly spammed, at least at the airports, buncha signs for no walking in other places that have em
USA-NY: free for all
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #133606 on: May 08, 2018, 07:09:05 am »

UK: sometimes USA, sometimes Japan.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133607 on: May 08, 2018, 07:15:55 am »

I missed the produce discussion. I work in a produce department in the USA and I can tell you people here have no fucking idea what good produce is. I'd rant and rave but it's early and I have no energy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #133608 on: May 08, 2018, 07:30:34 am »

A small bruise, a healed over scar on the tomato, a slight shriveling on the pepper...  Those things are death sentences to supermarket produce.

Fun fact: the EU has put an export ban on Swedish apples for precisely this reason. Silly Germans can't handle their fruit if it's not 100% aesthetically pleasing (and also, as a result, tasteless)
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133609 on: May 08, 2018, 07:40:02 am »

In Norway, people are usually good about "stand on the right, walk on the left"... Usually.

What people do not and cannot understand, however, is the idea of walking on one side of a two-way stair or corridor. Nope, everyone from both directions has to spread out over the whole thing and run into each other.

And there are a lot of issues with supermarket produce, not least of which arising from our desire (and thenceforth our demand) for constant access to veggies that grow in different climates and that are not currently in season. That, combined with expectations for appearance and "freshness" creates an entirely unrealistic set of requirements for the industry, which they solve by just throwing mass quantities at it and sorting out the ones that work (as well as a number of other practices, such as early harvesting and occasionally dumb shit like using polyethylene to re-wax apples). The result is a whole lotta waste of farmland, transportation, and, ultimately, the produce itself.

Canned/frozen vegetables are actually much better in this case (though certainly not without their own failings! See: Sodium content of many tinned goods), but they're generally stigmatized as being a "cheap knockoff" of the "real, fresh" produce on display. I won't deny that fresh produce has texture and taste profiles that are considerably different from their packaged varieties, I'm just talking about the whole logistics economy thingy.

So, basically... Shop at your local farmer's market, if you're in one of the places that has those. The difference between industrial supermarket produce and locally/home-grown stuff is massive, but you have to put up with the reduced convenience.

Honestly, I'm just as bad as anyone else. I buy a lot of things that are either exotics or out of season, and I'm honestly kind of a picky eater when it comes to browned/shriveled spots on produce, in addition to wanting something that requires the least amount of processing before I can eat it. I just really don't have the energy to do a lot of chopping and peeling most days.

But, hey, at least I feel guilty about doing all that! And that's what really counts, right?

Oh, wierd, were you around when I was ranting about Norwegian supermarkets trying to replace bulk leeks with pre-packaged single stalks with the greens cut off? Price by weight was also increased by 400% due to the added convenience.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133610 on: May 08, 2018, 07:42:29 am »

Re: Produce/

Welp, then supermarkets in Russia are all pretty good. The produce looks a bit battered, but it's tasty. Like it should be.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133611 on: May 08, 2018, 07:47:29 am »

Beware the farmer's market. (20 minute long video, something I need to consider when buying from small stalls).

As for produce, with blueberries, ripeness is the primary issue in my opinion. A lot of supermarkets will stock blueberries in the off-season, but there is a good 5-6 watery mushy blueberries for each decent one. My family grows a few blueberries for fun (idk the type, pretty generic), and each harvest the delicious ripe, firm berries yield far superior flavor to the supermarket. And this is without advanced agriculture techniques. Ripeness matters.

Also, for some reason, blueberries have better flavor warm than cold from the fridge, and the red berries are truly underrated.

I even eat the green ones sometimes.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133612 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:49 am »

Beware the farmer's market. (20 minute long video, something I need to consider when buying from small stalls).

This isn't exactly surprising, and there are also things referred to as Farmer's Markets that... Have nothing to do with them.

Also, who picks up stuff from a stall that blatantly has the stickers and/or vacuum-packed plastic on the veggies and actually believes that it's from a local farm? At least the "Kent" people took the stickers off their blatantly supermarket-style veggies before putting them on display...

And yeah, ripeness is one of the really big contributors for fruits, and that's precisely why you get such a different experience from having a home-grown or at least local source where it can actually be picked while ripe, rather than before (or even earlier, if you prefer them a little green).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133613 on: May 08, 2018, 12:45:29 pm »

THAT IS NOT A LEEK THAT IS HALF A LEEK WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #133614 on: May 08, 2018, 01:32:27 pm »

RE: Farmer's markets.

Most of the vendors at the one I worked at for a while bought at least half (sometimes all) of the stuff they sold. In some cases they sold stuff that was rejected for sale at grocery stores, but prettied up and with the worst bits sorted out.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #133615 on: May 08, 2018, 01:33:51 pm »

To be fair it’s the supermarkets that are encouraging the perfect fruit and veg thing. Ain’t nothing wrong with a wonky potato.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #133616 on: May 08, 2018, 01:36:11 pm »

I should note that the stuff wasn't always rejected for looking bad, the rotten stuff was sorted out. Also, look closely at the "fresh" onions, sometimes the rotten outside layers are peeled off making them look shiny and fresh.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133617 on: May 08, 2018, 01:48:36 pm »

Just like you do with ogres; you peel the rotting layer of skin off and it looks as good as new!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #133618 on: May 08, 2018, 02:06:47 pm »

Just like you do with ogres; you peel the rotting layer of skin off and it looks as good as new!

this made me cri
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #133619 on: May 08, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »

Reading it shreked me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8906 8907 [8908] 8909 8910 ... 10973