Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8907 8908 [8909] 8910 8911 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995724 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133620 on: May 08, 2018, 03:23:33 pm »

There is a Swedish folk tale where an evil dragon prince is defeated by by peeling his layers off one by one until a human is found at the core.

This is because his mother the queen conceived him by eating an onion (because a wise old hag told her so) but omitted to peel it first. So all the bad onion layers had to be peeled away first.
Love, scriver~

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #133621 on: May 08, 2018, 03:34:54 pm »

There is a Swedish folk tale where an evil dragon prince is defeated by by peeling his layers off one by one until a human is found at the core.

This is because his mother the queen conceived him by eating an onion (because a wise old hag told her so) but omitted to peel it first. So all the bad onion layers had to be peeled away first.

Suddenly, I understand that one bit in Narnia now.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #133622 on: May 08, 2018, 09:55:58 pm »

How do people come up with these ideas?

How do people get these stories and then pass them down to their kids until we get to this point?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133623 on: May 08, 2018, 09:56:55 pm »

How do people get these stories and then pass them down to their kids until we get to this point?

Oral history is the medieval equivalent to dank memes.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133624 on: May 08, 2018, 10:07:13 pm »

I feel like "peel the onion before you eat it, idiot" isn't something that normally requires a cautionary tale to instill in people, but then again, people from northern climates are known to value layers.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133625 on: May 08, 2018, 10:13:27 pm »

As you may see, I tried to change my avatar today.  I go to the profile settings, paste the URL into the textbox, but when I go to save changes it defaults back to "don't use an avatar".  It's unclear what I'm doing wrong.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #133626 on: May 08, 2018, 10:17:16 pm »

Remove the s in https. The forum doesn't like it but it should work just fine if you make it just http.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133627 on: May 08, 2018, 10:22:27 pm »

There we go.

Guess that explains why "http://" is filled for you at first in the box.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #133628 on: May 08, 2018, 11:45:53 pm »

I feel like "peel the onion before you eat it, idiot" isn't something that normally requires a cautionary tale to instill in people, but then again, people from northern climates are known to value layers.
You badly underestimate how poor some people's cooking skills are. :P personally the fact that onions are basically a case of "remove layers until they become tender enough to use" and there isn't really any real differences between the inner and outer layers other than toughness and how dried out they are still blows my mind from time to time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #133629 on: May 08, 2018, 11:48:15 pm »

You badly underestimate how poor some people's cooking skills are. :P personally the fact that onions are basically a case of "remove layers until they become tender enough to use" and there isn't really any real differences between the inner and outer layers other than toughness and how dried out they are still blows my mind from time to time.

Hydration, the difference between having a delicious meal and accidentally turning your child into an onion-dragon.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #133630 on: May 09, 2018, 08:12:15 am »

people get really friggin' bored now

think for two seconds that previously we had more or less all the same wetware and far less means of entertainment, plus far shittier conditions giving incentive to find distraction

be glad the story ended before someone came along and fornicated with the discarded layers to make evil dragon price mk 2, giant lizard matryoshka orgy edition
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

blazing glory

« Reply #133631 on: May 09, 2018, 08:19:18 am »

Whenever I am on the edge of sleep, a random image of fat people tends to pop into my head, it's a little mystifying.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133632 on: May 09, 2018, 08:21:33 am »

Also consider that our civilization approaches psychoactive substances with "Holy shit, this stuff is illegal!"

Whereas earlier civs were more "Holy shit, this stuff is spiritual!"

I don't see much other explanation for one of the old African origin myths for yams: "There once was an old man who was so ugly, none of the village teenagers would fuck him. One day he got really randy, so he dug a dick-sized hole in the dirt and made sweet love to the ground. However, there happened to be an earth-spirit sleeping there, so the old dude got her pregnant by accident and she gave birth to a potato. Enjoy your dinner."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #133633 on: May 09, 2018, 08:44:01 am »

AND HROL DID LOVE UNTO A HILLOCK
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile