Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8911 8912 [8913] 8914 8915 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999788 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133680 on: May 10, 2018, 12:09:58 pm »

The king hasn't been feeling well since the queen died, they said.

Edit: well okay that's supposed to be a ghost I guess

but I'm not some kind of chosen one or something my dude is just a rando merchant guy trying to make a buck

apparently merchant powers in this universe comes with "see and communicate with the restless dead" as a perk

not even death will save you from marketing

tombstones as billboards when, invest in graveyards as the newest frontier in advertising

make the grieving pay to give grandma the bigger iOS 11 tombstone and put nasty uncle henry in the dirt with a little shitty itWorks headstone

The planned obsolescence on these coffins is getting really irritating, I can't keep digging up grandma every few years to update her to the latest wooden box.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #133681 on: May 10, 2018, 12:14:42 pm »

No, you're just a drama queen. I didnt reply to the article, I replied to *your* post. And then you went onto a tirade.
...I didn't post on this before, but that sort of accuracy obviously isn't your main concern.

You clearly were talking about the article. Unless when you say, "the nature of the article and the disclaimer", you don't actually mean the article and its contents.

And yes, I did go on a tirade. People misrepresenting matters of fact and objecting to reasonable journalism because it offends their hyper-sensitive emotions irritates me.

I don't know about the general reporting of the claimed tampering. Chairman and I were discussing a specific article.
I very much specifically said I was not referring to a specific article. Its in a quote in your post, even
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133682 on: May 10, 2018, 12:39:09 pm »

I was able to install Battle.net on my D drive (much larger, but non-SSD).  Had to use the directory picker instead of just changing the letter, but fine.  Installed Starcraft 2, which worked great - remarkably good load times!

...Yeah, it installed Starcraft 2 on the C drive and I didn't notice.  Last night I'm on the final Terran mission and the autosaves start failing.  Sure enough, it's filled up my drive with saves (also I had redownloaded MechWarrior4Mercs, which is still freeware BTW).

And alt-tabbing doesn't "crash" Starcraft 2, oh no.  It just breaks the rendering entirely.  You can still hear the menus, but not see them, and they aren't keyboard-navigable.  Even alt-F4 or rightclick-close just bring up the "would you like to quit?" menu option, which is useless because you can't see it, so you have to use the task manager to kill the process.  But I guess UI design is tricky for an indie dev like fricken Blizzard :P

(I'm not really mad though, it was last night and I was staying up too late anyway.  And these last couple missions have been pretty dang easy, with all the upgrades I accumulated.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133683 on: May 10, 2018, 01:25:47 pm »

I very much specifically said I was not referring to a specific article. Its in a quote in your post, even
You referred to the article, and it's disclaimer, in the quote in my post. Unless you're confusing me with someone else, you've done that before.
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133684 on: May 10, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »

If I remember correctly, the director or writer for TLJ admitted that they were pretty much winging things and there was no big, overarching plan they were supposed to follow. So the third film isn't going to provide context so much as excuses, since it doesn't have a coherent, overarching plotline to follow but has to make something up itself.

Also I feel that even after the weirdness dies down, TLJ isn't going to be completely vindicated. Some of its issues are structural/fundamental, like how you can chop out several good chunks of the movie and miss nothing or how part of the plot is caused by that purple-haired Admiral appearing incompetent/useless when she has no reason to seem that way. The kind of stuff that can't be papered over by another movie.

Mind you, I'm still hoping that Episode 9 has sassy force ghost Luke talking/interacting with Kylo Ren. Atoning for his mistakes and trying to help his wayward apprentice and the like. It is probably highly unlikely to occur but still.

I didn't mean that a third film would fix TLJ necessarily (and goodness knows it's far from a perfect film and I'm far from its greatest fan), but more that the existence of a sequel trilogy in a vaguely complete state might create the kind of space where TLJ's successes as well as its failures get more recognition, generally speaking. There's also something to be said for how rewatching a given film and knowing what it is about and where it all leads up to can foster a familiarity and enjoyment of it that wasn't there before. A recent example that comes to mind is Mikey Neumann's take on TLJ where he talks about how the film's themes and ideas increasingly clicked as he watched it a second and third time. I imagine something like that writ large for the films as a whole, in the form of how people hold up the original trilogy as godlike achievements of filmmaking at least partly because of how intensely familiar they are with their every element, or how others can come up with fairly in-depth reads of the prequel trilogy as detailing a fundamental failure of the Jedi ideology (and possibly neoliberalism?) that The Last Jedi engages with a bit more directly.

But really I just hope the internet dialectic of postmodernist neomarxist sjews vs. Nazi gamer scum one day stops permeating literally everything, like holy shit is that a depressing zeitgeist to be trapped in.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #133685 on: May 10, 2018, 02:47:34 pm »

OK, this is really weird. Windows/something seems to be forgetting that I have graphics drivers installed after a while. I install the latest though GeForce Experience, go play my games, etc and all is well. Some time later (after a restart I think) no games work, and Experience claims I have no drivers installed.

Very weird.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #133686 on: May 10, 2018, 03:46:41 pm »

Geforce experience does that shit to me too at times. If it permafails consider reinstalling it
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #133687 on: May 10, 2018, 04:28:26 pm »

To you, the day that Geforce Experience had an error and uninstalled itself may have been the greatest day of your life, but to me it was Tuesday.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133688 on: May 10, 2018, 04:41:00 pm »

The supervisor at work is becoming more and more hostile to me. Today, she demanded I do an additional task with my work, which was to take off the hangers that were left on the top bar of the clothing rack and hang them with the other hangers that aren't being used. She tells me to do this despite: literally everyone else who handles the racks before me are closer to where the hangers are, I'm dealing with a heavy backlog because everyone else's Gotta Go Fast(Fuck Quality)!, and I'm visibly limping because of foot pain caused by my shoes(which I've only had about 2 months) are wearing quickly and unevenly due at least in part to all the broken sharp crap I keep stepping on because nobody knows how to clean up anything around here. This may have been because I spent about 15 minutes doing absolutely nothing because I was boxed into a corner(again) and could literally do nothing.

Yesterday, the same supervisor clips me in the hip with a large rolling bin of clothing, which caused me significant(but temporary) lower back pain. Given that she was pushing it from the wide side and could damn well see me, it's hard to think it was accidental.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #133689 on: May 10, 2018, 05:18:42 pm »

The supervisor at work is becoming more and more hostile to me. Today, she demanded I do an additional task with my work, which was to take off the hangers that were left on the top bar of the clothing rack and hang them with the other hangers that aren't being used. She tells me to do this despite: literally everyone else who handles the racks before me are closer to where the hangers are, I'm dealing with a heavy backlog because everyone else's Gotta Go Fast(Fuck Quality)!, and I'm visibly limping because of foot pain caused by my shoes(which I've only had about 2 months) are wearing quickly and unevenly due at least in part to all the broken sharp crap I keep stepping on because nobody knows how to clean up anything around here. This may have been because I spent about 15 minutes doing absolutely nothing because I was boxed into a corner(again) and could literally do nothing.

Yesterday, the same supervisor clips me in the hip with a large rolling bin of clothing, which caused me significant(but temporary) lower back pain. Given that she was pushing it from the wide side and could damn well see me, it's hard to think it was accidental.
Why do you choose to work there?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133690 on: May 10, 2018, 05:29:02 pm »

Maybe he has no choice? Were it me, I'd have quit that place long ago.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #133691 on: May 10, 2018, 05:30:27 pm »

Isn't the unemployment rating low enough to for him to find a new job fairly easily?
Are you at least looking for a new job?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133692 on: May 10, 2018, 05:54:33 pm »

You referred to the article, and it's disclaimer, in the quote in my post. Unless you're confusing me with someone else, you've done that before.

No he didn't. This is getting toxic. Let me point out what was in the Tawa post immediately preceding ChairmanPoo's post. ChairmanPoo was responding to this specific post here, which mainly discusses one article I linked
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68850.137580

Tawa opened his post with:

Reelya, you should actually read the articles you cite as proof that the media is out to get you. Both of the articles you linked very explicitly say "nazis hate the film", not "everyone who hates the film is a nazi".
    That isn't to say that all objections to The Last Jedi — or The Force Awakens, which introduced the new cast — are rooted in far-right ideology or hatred. For some, the story simply didn't conform to what they had imagined; fans have had over 30 years to dream up what Luke Skywalker did after Return of the Jedi, and there were plenty of now-discarded novels, comics, and video games that offered more rousing heroics than his self-imposed exile on a forgotten island. Those dissatisfied on this count are sometimes rigid nostalgists, and that doesn't connote hatred, even if it is yearning for a past that was less equal.

Then, ChairmanPoo wrote in the next post:

The nature of the article and the disclaimer suggests that most haters are alt right. AKA with that sort of disclaimer they are begging the question

But, the point here is that the main bulk of Tawa's post was actually quoting from a previously-linked article which doesn't include any of the disclaimers you're talking about. It's just much more likely that ChairmanPoo was referring to the article which had actually been quoted from, and not the little additional HuffPost link in the later part of the post, just to clarify that if there was any confusion.

The "disclaimer" ChairmanPoo was talking about was that quote that Tawa provided. Which reads:

That isn't to say that all objections to The Last Jedi — or The Force Awakens, which introduced the new cast — are rooted in far-right ideology or hatred. For some, the story simply didn't conform to what they had imagined;

Tawa claims this is ample evidence that the article isn't trying to label TLJ haters as far-right. Structurally, that follows this logical form:

That isn't to say that all X are Y: Some (X) are simply Z

If that's a logically sound form according to Tawa then it should be logically sound even if we change the topic:

That isn't to say that all Mexican immigrants are rapist drug-dealing pedophiles. some are simply decent people

Look, I'm not racist. Didn't you even read my "some are simply decent people" bit? And I clearly wrote "that isn't to say all Mexican Immigrants are rapist drug-dealing pedophiles", along with that completely sincere disclaimer on the end that "some" aren't. How much clearer do I need to be that I'm not in fact implying that Mexican immigrants - in general - are rapist drug-dealing pedophiles? I put the caveats in, so I'm not racist, right bro? / sarcasm

Sure, it's not calling TLJ critics Nazis about as believably as Trump didn't call Mexicans drug-dealing, rapist, criminal thugs because he added "And some, I assume, are good people" at the end.

* note that ChairmanPoo refers to "begging the question". "begging the question" is when your logical structure assumes something is the default assumption, when you haven't in fact proven that it is the default assumption: it's form of circular reasoning. in this case, the article is assuming its own conclusion that "TLJ haters are Nazis" by including the explicit assumption that "not a Nazi" is a caveat to the normal expected rule that they are Nazis.

** But then, note that right at the end the Non-Nazi minority of TLJ dislikers get an additional jab where he hand-waves away all not-actual-Nazi criticisms of TLJ as subconsciously "yearning for a past that was less equal". So, what he's saying here is that if you happened to dislike the movie for any reason which he can't dismiss off-hand as you being a literal Nazi, you're in fact merely a closet-Nazi-sympathizer, secretly or unwittingly yearning for the sexist, racist, homophobic "golden age". Way to take back the disclaimer. It's as if Trump ended his "Mexicans" speech with "And some, I assume, are good people, except for the fact that they beat their wives", just to double-down on being a complete c**t.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:54:13 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #133693 on: May 10, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »

Isn't the unemployment rating low enough to for him to find a new job fairly easily?
There remains pretty much nothing easy about finding work, I'm afraid, least if you don't have nepotism/corruption to lean on. Particularly work that pays as well as a previous position, provides as much hours, vague semblance of stability, relatively equal stress, etc.

Beyond that, there's always room for complicating circumstance and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133694 on: May 10, 2018, 07:19:59 pm »

There remains pretty much nothing easy about finding work, I'm afraid, least if you don't have nepotism/corruption to lean on. Particularly work that pays as well as a previous position, provides as much hours, vague semblance of stability, relatively equal stress, etc.

Beyond that, there's always room for complicating circumstance and whatnot.

In this case, I don't think he'd want relatively equal stress.
Pages: 1 ... 8911 8912 [8913] 8914 8915 ... 10974