Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8912 8913 [8914] 8915 8916 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996636 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #133695 on: May 10, 2018, 08:19:45 pm »

When in doubt, murder everyone and hire a ghost writer for your autobiography.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #133696 on: May 10, 2018, 09:11:22 pm »

Well its not like you could hire a living one, if you killed everybody
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133697 on: May 10, 2018, 09:57:30 pm »

-snip-

Ah. That makes a whole lot of sense and I can't help but agree with it. Thanks for elaborating.

But really I just hope the internet dialectic of postmodernist neomarxist sjews vs. Nazi gamer scum one day stops permeating literally everything, like holy shit is that a depressing zeitgeist to be trapped in.

I really hope so too. It sucks that apparently there's only two sides and they're both so toxic or obnoxious. Depressing is putting it lightly.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133698 on: May 10, 2018, 10:13:20 pm »

I imagine ghost writers are just Marvel's Ghost Rider using a flaming, demonic typewriter.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133699 on: May 10, 2018, 10:38:23 pm »

I really hope so too. It sucks that apparently there's only two sides and they're both so toxic or obnoxious. Depressing is putting it lightly.
That happens pretty often. Good and evil are, in the grand scheme of things, subjective.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133700 on: May 11, 2018, 03:14:25 am »

I imagine ghost writers are just Marvel's Ghost Rider using a flaming, demonic typewriter.

He really doesn't get many other offers these days, so it's either the typewriter or a topless car wash.

Flame-retardant chrome polish is expensive, you know.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133701 on: May 11, 2018, 04:01:15 am »

I very much specifically said I was not referring to a specific article. Its in a quote in your post, even
You referred to the article, and it's disclaimer, in the quote in my post. Unless you're confusing me with someone else, you've done that before.

No he didn't. This is getting toxic. Let me point out what was in the Tawa post immediately preceding ChairmanPoo's post. ChairmanPoo was responding to this specific post here, which mainly discusses one article I linked
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68850.137580]
That isn't to say that all objections to The Last Jedi — or The Force Awakens, which introduced the new cast — are rooted in far-right ideology or hatred. For some, the story simply didn't conform to what they had imagined;

Tawa claims this is ample evidence that the article isn't trying to label TLJ haters as far-right. Structurally, that follows this logical form:

That isn't to say that all X are Y: Some (X) are simply Z

If that's a logically sound form according to Tawa then it should be logically sound even if we change the topic:

Begging the question is a rhetorical term, not a logical one in this sense, and is pretty dependent on content and context. If you've said something that might make it look like all X are Y, it's actually reasonable to say that not all X are Y.

That isn't to say all groups of order six are Abelian; some are simply dihedral.

This seems to tacitly suggest very little for example. Anyway, the thing about this rhetorical technique is that even when it is intentional and obvious, as when Trump does it, its factual content is still the same. The hateful nature of Trump's speeches comes from his actual comments about Mexican immigrants, rather than his rhetorically persuasive qualifiers. If a prison warden in an American town was asked about the immigrants he encountered in his work, ending his reply with "some are good people" would look perfectly fine. Similarly, the writer takes pains to say that while people may object out of nostalgia, they aren't necessarily nostalgic for the inequality, as the people he interviewed before said they were. "Begging the question" is very much dependent on how easily the sensibilities of the reader are offended, and on the actual content.

ChairmanPoo may not like the phrasing, but the article presents facts that confirm his belief that TLJ haters are largely not bigots. Why does he object to it then? Because he's uncomfortable with the slight hints he percieves, and the nature of the article as reporting on something that makes some people with whom he shares a belief ("TLJ sucks") look like bigots. When people can't handle that sort of slightly disagreeable experience, but simply fold it into their conviction (true or not) that the entire media is unfairly ranged against them, echo chambers are not far off. Disliking the media response to alt-right claims can be justified, but that sort of immediate attack on something true if upsetting is very concerning.

If you think when Chairman says, "the nature of the article and the disclaimer", he's not referring to the same article... well, that's not really using English the way most people do.
One wheel short of a wagon

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133702 on: May 11, 2018, 05:01:56 am »

How about PMs for this rather than risking the thread getting locked?
+1
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133703 on: May 11, 2018, 05:16:49 am »

ChairmanPoo may not like the phrasing, but the article presents facts that confirm his belief that TLJ haters are largely not bigots. Why does he object to it then? Because he's uncomfortable with the slight hints he percieves, and the nature of the article as reporting on something that makes some people with whom he shares a belief ("TLJ sucks") look like bigots. When people can't handle that sort of slightly disagreeable experience, but simply fold it into their conviction (true or not) that the entire media is unfairly ranged against them, echo chambers are not far off. Disliking the media response to alt-right claims can be justified, but that sort of immediate attack on something true if upsetting is very concerning.

If you think when Chairman says, "the nature of the article and the disclaimer", he's not referring to the same article... well, that's not really using English the way most people do.

Can you specify which article you think ChairmanPoo was referring to. My point was that he was referring to the article which Tawa's quote comes from. Which is this article, for reference:
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/how-the-alt-right-and-nostalgic-trolls-hijacked-geek-pop-culture

the title of that article "how the alt right and nostalgic trolls hijacked geek pop culture" is mirrored precisely in the part where they say that there were exactly two types of people who didn't like TLJ: far-right haters or nostalgic people ("trolls" according to the articles title).

it's not "slight hints": it's presenting a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't binary choice: the article claims there are two types of haters for the movie: trolls or bigots, and the "not all the haters are bigots" part immediately jumps to the "nostaligic trolls" thing promised in the articles title. There is no third option allowed of not liking the movie for reasonable reasons. The author is, in fact a huge bigot himself hiding behind a wall of moral self-righteousness. That's the only way to interpret it when someone is clearly getting off on stereotyping and slandering mass amounts of people, but wrapping it up in a cloak of self-righteous indignation. Reasonable people don't tar everyone with the same brush like that author did: if you don't like his thing, you're a troll or a bigot, no third option allowed. That's positively pathological.

Just to check we're on the same page before continuing the discussion, do you agree that this is the article ChairmanPoo was referring about or not? Because you don't sound like you're talking about the same article at all.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:02:21 am by Reelya »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133704 on: May 11, 2018, 05:36:58 am »

I once had a CD explode inside my computer while it was running. That was a WTF day.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #133705 on: May 11, 2018, 05:40:01 am »

I once had a CD explode inside my computer while it was running. That was a WTF day.
Had it happen before a few times. One time, the disk drive even opened and launched the shards out.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133706 on: May 11, 2018, 05:46:08 am »

Yeah it took two days to clear the shards out. And it was Baldur's Gate the Original Saga!
He's fucking with us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133707 on: May 11, 2018, 06:44:22 am »

I once had a dinner plate explode in my hands, spilling my food all over the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #133708 on: May 11, 2018, 06:47:17 am »

I'm pretty sure it's more a bouncing/flying blue ball. It's been well over a decade so I may be misremembering but there was a TV series and everything and I recall it being represented as a blue-ish ghost ball.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133709 on: May 11, 2018, 06:52:03 am »

I once had a dinner plate explode in my hands, spilling my food all over the floor.

My dad had a beer stein do that. He'd froze it for delicious ice cold beer but I guess the temperature differential between it and the beer caused issues, cuz as soon as half the beer was poured it exploded rather violently. Thankfully half the beer was saved.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 8912 8913 [8914] 8915 8916 ... 10973