Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8954 8955 [8956] 8957 8958 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999075 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134325 on: May 30, 2018, 10:47:12 pm »

I think part of it is that the forum over-represents people with more developed reasoning abilities, that are less likely to resort to ad-hominems and baseless accusations as if they were arguments.

That is to say, the population here has a genuine desire to know and understand things not normally represented in other internet communities, and the genuine desire results in more constructive dialog when there is a conflict of agreement. When confronted with a dissenting view, we tend to want to know WHY the person has it.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #134326 on: May 30, 2018, 11:08:55 pm »

I think part of it is that the forum over-represents people with more developed reasoning abilities, that are less likely to resort to ad-hominems and baseless accusations as if they were arguments.

That is to say, the population here has a genuine desire to know and understand things not normally represented in other internet communities, and the genuine desire results in more constructive dialog when there is a conflict of agreement. When confronted with a dissenting view, we tend to want to know WHY the person has it.

no.

scource:your hitler.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134327 on: May 30, 2018, 11:11:02 pm »

no.

Say what?  Is this a purposeful Godwin or what?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #134328 on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:14 pm »

Just kidding.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134329 on: May 30, 2018, 11:19:21 pm »

Bay12 forums.

About the only place on the internet where Godwins law can be invoked as a joke, and not cause a flamewar!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134330 on: May 30, 2018, 11:31:57 pm »

[quietly burns in background]
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #134331 on: May 31, 2018, 12:10:15 am »

In my opinion, the only reason this thread has not devolved into a flame war is because everybody who would have started one has been banned already
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134332 on: May 31, 2018, 12:16:29 am »

no.

Say what?  Is this a purposeful Godwin or what?

Do you have a pet one or something?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #134333 on: May 31, 2018, 12:41:57 am »

There's also the fact that most of the forum leans toward the liberal. You could argue that big fights happen less because people generally agree on the main points and only debate the lesser facets of them. You could also argue that liberals are more likely to want to hear about the opposing viewpoint, so it all goes down to a chicken-or-egg dilemma. Another thing forumgoers have in common is playing Dwarf Fortress, a game with a notoriously steep learning curve, so people are clearly willing to learn and seek knowledge. This is conjecture, of course.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134334 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:14 am »

you're conjecture
Black lives matter.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #134335 on: May 31, 2018, 12:49:19 am »

Cogito, ergo sum. I definitely exist...or wait... it's a circular argument, isn't it? Sum, ergo cogito? *vanishes in a puff of logic*
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134336 on: May 31, 2018, 01:03:32 am »

New WTF: one of my favourite GMs turns out to be... kind of a massive twat. :'(

You think you know a person and then they just turn around and get all problematic on ya. :D

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #134337 on: May 31, 2018, 02:12:12 am »

There's also the fact that most of the forum leans toward the liberal. You could argue that big fights happen less because people generally agree on the main points and only debate the lesser facets of them. You could also argue that liberals are more likely to want to hear about the opposing viewpoint, so it all goes down to a chicken-or-egg dilemma. Another thing forumgoers have in common is playing Dwarf Fortress, a game with a notoriously steep learning curve, so people are clearly willing to learn and seek knowledge. This is conjecture, of course.

We don't bother with ad hominem arguments; your face does that to itself. :P
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134338 on: May 31, 2018, 02:19:59 am »

I can be pretty too, god damnit!

*Sobs!*

(lolol, that's about the least effective insult to attempt on me. I dont care to be attractive, because I am not trying to attract a mate. Like-- AT ALL.)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134339 on: May 31, 2018, 02:38:40 am »

In my opinion, the only reason this thread has not devolved into a flame war is because everybody who would have started one has been banned already
Strict moderation + low influx of new people = quiet and civilized forum.

I can be pretty too, god damnit!

*Sobs!*

(lolol, that's about the least effective insult to attempt on me. I dont care to be attractive, because I am not trying to attract a mate. Like-- AT ALL.)
Same. I trip people up with that a lot. I fought many 10-year-olds on Reddit.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:41:18 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 8954 8955 [8956] 8957 8958 ... 10974