Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8957 8958 [8959] 8960 8961 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997751 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134370 on: May 31, 2018, 10:53:58 am »

Niece?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #134371 on: May 31, 2018, 11:04:08 am »

Right, that's it. All Niece before Zod!
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #134372 on: May 31, 2018, 11:05:32 am »

(lolol, that's about the least effective insult to attempt on me. I dont care to be attractive, because I am not trying to attract a mate. Like-- AT ALL.)

Hey, not seeking a mate is no reason to not try and look as awesome as possible.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134373 on: May 31, 2018, 11:44:49 am »

Today's first breakfast is apparently a pizza/pancake sandwich. I'm still not entirely sure how the thought came about, but it's... pretty alright. Horrible for you but tasty. The bottom slice of "bread" is a small pepperoni pizza. The top slice of "bread" is a small maple pancake. Bit of extra pepperoni, cheese, and a slice of honey roasted turkey. Pepperoni, turkey, and cheese pizzacake sandwich.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:46:20 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134374 on: May 31, 2018, 12:20:24 pm »

The Hawaiian government needed to put out a community announcement warning people not to roast marshmallow in lava. Are all you DF players in Hawaii taking advantage of the opportunity for !!Magma!! cooking?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134375 on: May 31, 2018, 12:22:43 pm »

I can see roasting marshmallow over lava, but not in it.

I guess they just don't want people getting that close?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134376 on: May 31, 2018, 12:26:32 pm »

Yeah, I meant "over". But it's a bad idea, you'll get gassed and fall in.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #134377 on: May 31, 2018, 01:18:56 pm »

How was I doing a rhetorical whataboutist trick? I was just noting that she said she said something sexist, and ironic at that.
And then I noted the flaws in her statement.
How was that wrong? I am not "just asking questions", I seriously want to know how it was a rhetorical whataboutist trick.

"But what about the oppression of men" is by now an all-time classic, is all, for reasons already mentioned and elaborated upon with relation to race, some of them in this very post!
True. Mysogynistic people(both men and women) often use that. Except I wasn't reacting to sexism against women by saying "But you're sexist too!".
I was noting that that statement of hers was sexist. Whether it was sexist aginst men or women is unimportant.
And besides, pretending women are never sexist is certainly not going to help anyone.
I would prefer that men and women be equal, and if someone claims something sexist against either sex, I will dislike it.
There are double standards against men, and one of those is if they note sexism or double standards against men, people will act as if they are automatically mysognystic for that, when a woman won't(at least not by the same people) be called misandrist for pointing out sexism and double standards against women.
If you don't believe there are double standards against men, look at the TV Tropes page, Double Standards. I also recommend the page, The Unfair Sex.
I am not being sexist against women.
I am just noting sexism.
Sexism is always bad, and it should not be tolerated, not against either men or women.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:26:27 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134378 on: May 31, 2018, 01:21:11 pm »

Thank you for clarifying. It's really easy to come off as defending sexism to some people (like me, for example) because other people have used similar lines in the past.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134379 on: May 31, 2018, 01:21:49 pm »

I'm not sure, because if you ever were to bring up any sort of stat for male victims, as a topic in it's own right, it's fairly certain someone butts in with "oh but it's worse for women". Which is ... sort of the same derailment technique. I think it would actually be more likely in terms of frequency that if you brought up male victimization someone would interject with the female side of things, rather than each time female victimization is brought up, someone would interject with the male side of things. e.g. if you bring up rape against females, there's some chance the figures of rape against men would enter the conversation. But if you ever bring up rape against males, then it's far more certain that the figures of rape against women would be brought up. So no, I don't see much evidence that derailment with "what about gender X" goes only one way, or that that way is entirely biased to derailing discussions of female victimization. Female victimization is just brought up as a discussion topic far more often so you notice it more.

I had this conversation the other day btw. it was effectively a god of the gaps tactic. "it only happens to women" => cite evidence it happens to men => "yes, but it happens to women more" => cite evidence it happens to men and women equally => "yes, but it doesn't really affect men when it happens" => cite evidence men are affected => "yes, but women are affected more worser". Now at this stage, it's merely hard to find a good study which shows which gender is more "hurt" (psychologically) by a type of victimization that happens to both equally often so at this point the argument ends. But I have a good idea that if I had such a study handy and showed that, then this person would have had another convenient "yes, but" to say why it matters more when it happens to their preferred gender vs the other gender.

Always "yes, but". This sort of thing is pure confirmation bias from the other side.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:37:10 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #134380 on: May 31, 2018, 01:35:25 pm »

From personal experience, this is quite true. It is extremely frustrating to be told that the sexual harassment you have experienced "doesn't count" because you are a guy, and "guys get harassed so rarely that we can pretend it doesn't exist".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134381 on: May 31, 2018, 01:44:12 pm »

Damascus goats are pretty neat. I'm also a fan of Jacobs sheep.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134382 on: May 31, 2018, 01:50:32 pm »

From personal experience, this is quite true. It is extremely frustrating to be told that the sexual harassment you have experienced "doesn't count" because you are a guy, and "guys get harassed so rarely that we can pretend it doesn't exist".

Yeah, i mean if you look at the figures, here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_harassment_in_education_in_the_United_States

81% or eight out of 10 students experience sexual harassment in school
83% of girls have been sexually harassed
78% of boys have been sexually harassed

That speaks for itself. Virtually everyone reports some amount of sexual harassment. However, if 78% of boys are saying they're sexually harassed you can read that two ways: either virtually the entire school is being sexually harassed, or the definition of harassment used was extremely broad.

But they almost always only cite the female victim data in the summaries for these types of reports, so if they used an excessively broad definition, then the only logical explanation as to why is that it was deliberate in order to maximize the apparent number of female victims, knowing that they could merely fail to mention the male results later.

So they almost certainly use an extremely loose definition, and then only reported this as "83% of highschool girls report being sexually harassed", without citing any male figures. These two things combined leave you with the desired impression: that all girls are the victims of all boys.

And that's not an outlier. The above survey was by AAUW (American Association of University Women) at middle schools in 2000, and their figures for colleges in 2006 read:

62% of female college students and 61% of male college students report having been sexually harassed at their university.
Again, when you apply identical methodology to male and female students you get virtual indistinguishable results. There's little excuse for only reporting on the female survey results for these particular types of studies. It's misleading at best, and deliberate academic fraud at worst.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:18:02 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #134383 on: May 31, 2018, 01:55:03 pm »

When I was in highschool, at least, any male complaints about sexual harassment (at least, the male-on-male variety that I was subjected to) was ignored, and the people who were being groped were told "They're trying to creep you out. Just play along and they will get creeped out instead." This was in the early 00s.

In the workplace, the female-on-male harassment I've had to deal with has either been laughed at, or else had the woman in question simply told "stop doing that" with no write-up, as opposed to the immediate termination male-on-female harassers are subjected to. Note that most places I've had this problem at have surveliance cameras, so there was usually solid proof instead of "he-said/she-said" in both situations outside of the bathrooms.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134384 on: May 31, 2018, 02:07:38 pm »

AH YES. THE ADORABLE DAMASCUS GOAT
Such majesty!
SUCH GRACE!
The people of Damascus appear to have high proclivity towards folding things unto themselves. These goats must have been folded at least gorillion times. I bet they can cut a tank in half.
Pages: 1 ... 8957 8958 [8959] 8960 8961 ... 10973