Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8958 8959 [8960] 8961 8962 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13135386 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134385 on: May 31, 2018, 02:10:23 pm »

Damascus goats are pretty neat. I'm also a fan of Jacobs sheep.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those are demons in disguise. And not even a very good disguise.

Anyway, about the whole "can women be sexist" issue, I think the problem is that sexism isn't firmly defined and so people can bailey-and-motte it. Is sexism prejudiced beliefs about sex? Or is it harmful actions toward people based on their sex? (this line of thought heavily influenced by Against Murderism)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:14:11 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134386 on: May 31, 2018, 02:23:32 pm »

Relic is apparently still trying to push sales of Dawn of War III. A game which they have previously stated that they're stopping the development of, because gamers were being uncooperative and didn't buy lots of copies.

There's a new cosmetic skin for something or other, so it's probably worth it now.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #134387 on: May 31, 2018, 02:36:06 pm »

Something is sexist simply when someone is treated differently because of their sex(except the extremely few cases in which there actually is an important difference, such as keeping pregnant women out of dangerous professions.) which includes but is not limited to prejudiced beliefs about sex, and harmful actions against people because of their sex.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:38:07 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134388 on: May 31, 2018, 03:41:50 pm »

Relic is apparently still trying to push sales of Dawn of War III. A game which they have previously stated that they're stopping the development of, because gamers were being uncooperative and didn't buy lots of copies.

There's a new cosmetic skin for something or other, so it's probably worth it now.

Eh, it's a Warhammer in general sale. Picked up Blood Bowl 2, having a blast.

When I was in highschool, at least, any male complaints about sexual harassment (at least, the male-on-male variety that I was subjected to) was ignored, and the people who were being groped were told "They're trying to creep you out. Just play along and they will get creeped out instead." This was in the early 00s.

In the workplace, the female-on-male harassment I've had to deal with has either been laughed at, or else had the woman in question simply told "stop doing that" with no write-up, as opposed to the immediate termination male-on-female harassers are subjected to. Note that most places I've had this problem at have surveliance cameras, so there was usually solid proof instead of "he-said/she-said" in both situations outside of the bathrooms.
*something something, college I worked at helped fabricate then cover up male-on-female harassment claim*
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134389 on: May 31, 2018, 06:12:48 pm »

I used to have more interesting things to say. I wonder if that is a symptom of my worsening unknown mental problem that I missed. Decreased creativity and eloquence.
I'm pretty sure you still say a fair amount of interesting stuff, I just don't hunt for OOCQ material as much as I used to.
Come to think of it, I don't post nearly as much as I used to in general, either.  :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #134390 on: May 31, 2018, 07:28:09 pm »

*something something, college I worked at helped fabricate then cover up male-on-female harassment claim*

???

Is that a reference to something you've told before, or is it a comment on what I had to say?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134391 on: May 31, 2018, 07:42:38 pm »

Something they've told before.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #134392 on: May 31, 2018, 09:49:13 pm »

Something is sexist simply when someone is treated differently because of their sex(except the extremely few cases in which there actually is an important difference, such as keeping pregnant women out of dangerous professions.) which includes but is not limited to prejudiced beliefs about sex, and harmful actions against people because of their sex.
I think that goes too far. We want to keep the negative connotation of sexism, right? (I hope we do, because there's no way to change it!) I don't think that we should say that it's bad to not completely ignore sex. It still carries some statistical information. People tend to overestimate the information it gives you (it's probabilistic, nothing more), but it doesn't give literally zero information.

Also, dammit, I came back here trying to avoid the failed/uncomfortable sexuality/gender thread issues and here I am doing the same thing that caused me to start the original thread. (It was a derail and I made a separate thread to hold the derail.) Eh. Let's just not entirely derail the thread. (Since the WTF was specifically about sexism, we're not derailing yet! Technically!)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:51:46 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #134393 on: May 31, 2018, 09:52:46 pm »

I don't think that we should say that it's bad to not completely ignore sex. It still carries some statistical information.

That is an awfully constructed sentence :p

I am also tired. From the context, though, you think that we shouldn’t ignore sex ‘cause it still has some, if negligible, application?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134394 on: May 31, 2018, 11:00:54 pm »

Every time I encounter one of the muh magic free market people I just have a WTF. Like seriously it does not take a genius to see the massive glaring flaws that exist in the entire premise. It's like they ignore all evidence entirely and operate in magic fantasy land. Also the mere fact that ancaps exist. Good god they are idiots.

Also arguments that go basically: person/something in the past did horrible things. But the world is better now then then and thing is related through some connection. Therefor all actions were justified, nessisary, and in fact good. How dare you criticize them don't you know the world is so great because of them! It's the definition of circular logic. That shit drives me crazy. These people seem totally unable to conceptualize any alternative path at all and follow the blind assumption that because thing exists now it must be the best because surely only the best things win.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:13:50 pm by redwallzyl »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134395 on: May 31, 2018, 11:29:29 pm »

AH YES. THE ADORABLE DAMASCUS GOAT
Such majesty!
SUCH GRACE!
The people of Damascus appear to have high proclivity towards folding things unto themselves. These goats must have been folded at least gorillion times. I bet they can cut a tank in half.
Spoiler: Artist's Rendition (click to show/hide)
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134396 on: June 01, 2018, 02:39:05 am »

Every time I encounter one of the muh magic free market people I just have a WTF. Like seriously it does not take a genius to see the massive glaring flaws that exist in the entire premise. It's like they ignore all evidence entirely and operate in magic fantasy land.
I read that as "magic-free market" and imagined a bazaar with strict regulations about not allowing magical practitioners within its limits, for the economic (and personal!) safety of the common magicless.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134397 on: June 01, 2018, 03:22:07 am »

My ancient PSP-1000's screen has started looking like it has absorbed oil or something, and the button strip that has the select button it--- has the select button stop working.

I was able to order replacement parts for 22.50 on amazon.

It's only a 12 year old console-- shocked that parts are still available.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #134398 on: June 01, 2018, 04:56:36 am »

Heh, I have one of those, bought new in 2007 as my second game system (first was a GBA). At the time I was between PCs due to moving for a job and leaving my old one (an 900 MHz Windows 98 system) at home, so that PSP was my gaming life-line.

The guy I was living with was a real "the bible is the only book you need" type and I was 16 so I couldn't get a library card without a guardian's signature (which he refused to provide), but I could buy a PSP. Needless to say, rather than spending most of my time reading like I did at home, I spent it playing Splinter Cell, SoCom, FF Tactics, WipeOut, and Tomb Raider (to name my favorites).

It still has a fond place in my heart, but it sits on a shelf and has not been touched for some years now (when put there it was starting to have trouble reading UMDs reliably).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134399 on: June 01, 2018, 05:33:54 am »

(Mutters quietly about being able to play PSP game isos direclty off the memory stick if you use CFW.  Further mutters quietly about being able to get a microSD to memorystick adapter that works with honking huge SD cards. *has a 128gb microSD inside his. Works great.)
Pages: 1 ... 8958 8959 [8960] 8961 8962 ... 10979