Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8967 8968 [8969] 8970 8971 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995591 times)

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134520 on: June 05, 2018, 10:23:59 am »

So if we ever start colonising other planets, how could that work? Re-schedule everything based on new planet's orbit? Assume that the planet is also on the launch site (more complications if several planets with movements between them... Who came from where?)? Act as if they were at $place_of_historical_religious_significance?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134521 on: June 05, 2018, 10:32:21 am »

Here's the kicker:

What if the planetary system you colonize has a retrograde orbit compared to the galactic plane's rotation?

(EG, all the planets in the system orbit in the opposite direction, and all the axis of rotation for those planets is reversed, resulting in the sun rising in the west, and setting in the east.)

Good luck obeying those religious edicts about facing mecca. :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134522 on: June 05, 2018, 10:36:09 am »

So if we ever start colonising other planets, how could that work? Re-schedule everything based on new planet's orbit? Assume that the planet is also on the launch site (more complications if several planets with movements between them... Who came from where?)? Act as if they were at $place_of_historical_religious_significance?

I suspect that bridge will be crossed when we get to it.

Here's the kicker:

What if the planetary system you colonize has a retrograde orbit compared to the galactic plane's rotation?

(EG, all the planets in the system orbit in the opposite direction, and all the axis of rotation for those planets is reversed, resulting in the sun rising in the west, and setting in the east.)

Or on Mars even, since you aren't even on the same planet. There will probably be some agreed upon compromise or solution by the time we travel to the stars.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #134523 on: June 05, 2018, 10:36:30 am »

Planets would probably rotate in the same direction relative to their orbit as in this solar system, not to mention that this particular solar system's orbit compared to the galactic plane's rotation is nearly perpendicular

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134524 on: June 05, 2018, 10:37:01 am »

Actually, I just looked it up out of curiosity, and the ISS uses GMT.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134525 on: June 05, 2018, 10:39:18 am »

I have no idea how the Muslims here even survive. Ramadan has got to be a bitch.

If you live somewhere where the sun never really goes down, Ramadan apparently just lasts from 6am to 6pm.
No, when you live somewhere the sun doesn't set, it was decreed a few years ago that muslims there are allowed to use sunrise and sunset times of Mecca instead.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134526 on: June 05, 2018, 10:51:56 am »

Here's the kicker:

And if we ever colonize a planet that is tidally locked to it's star? Good luck!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134527 on: June 05, 2018, 11:17:13 am »

On the topic of ramadan, meanwhile in the Netherlands there is some discussion whether muslims should be allowed to drive a bus, or work any other job where they are responsible for the safety of others, during the ramadan.
So far, there's no research showing that fasting during the day diminshes reaction times or general alertness though.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134528 on: June 05, 2018, 11:23:20 am »

Here's the kicker:

And if we ever colonize a planet that is tidally locked to it's star? Good luck!

Most of the religions I know of with observances tied to specific astronomical events also include a general rule that their adherents will not be expected to do the impossible, as well as a provision for their clergy (or equivalent) to issue guidance in cases not covered by dogma.

Thus, as fun as it is to speculate about, in the unlikely event that we ever do reach other planets the most probable solution is to simply do whatever's reasonably achievable on a case-by-case basis. In most cases we might expect this to be designating some point fixed relative to the habitat for people to pray towards and working out a local conversion of the lunar/solar calendar.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134529 on: June 05, 2018, 11:34:43 am »

On the topic of ramadan, meanwhile in the Netherlands there is some discussion whether muslims should be allowed to drive a bus, or work any other job where they are responsible for the safety of others, during the ramadan.
So far, there's no research showing that fasting during the day diminshes reaction times or general alertness though.

This is just my own experience: fasting actually dramatically increases my alertness and reaction times. Just something about being hungry that keeps me awake and mindful, while having a full stomach makes me feel slow, sleepy, and lethargic. Though I imagine this might be a quirk of biology that varies from person to person.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134531 on: June 05, 2018, 11:51:30 am »

There's a missed opportunity there, since there's a great Russian version of the Evangelion opening.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134532 on: June 05, 2018, 11:56:05 am »

There's a missed opportunity there, since there's a great Russian version of the Evangelion opening.

There is one that does use it, I just don't like it as much as the other.

Edit: I found this gem while looking at the Russian version of Evangelion. Not real apparently, but still great.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:59:39 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #134533 on: June 05, 2018, 11:58:03 am »

Edit: I found this gem while looking at the Russian version of Evangelion.
incredible
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134534 on: June 05, 2018, 12:42:33 pm »

Here's the kicker:

Most of the religions I know of with observances tied to specific astronomical events also include a general rule that their adherents will not be expected to do the impossible, as well as a provision for their clergy (or equivalent) to issue guidance in cases not covered by dogma.

Thus, as fun as it is to speculate about, in the unlikely event that we ever do reach other planets the most probable solution is to simply do whatever's reasonably achievable on a case-by-case basis. In most cases we might expect this to be designating some point fixed relative to the habitat for people to pray towards and working out a local conversion of the lunar/solar calendar.
I think Muslims are forbidden to travel to other planets anyways. IIRC there was a fatwa covering that about a decade ago. Not sure if it's for all muslims, or just Sunni / Shii specific.

Pages: 1 ... 8967 8968 [8969] 8970 8971 ... 10973