Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8975 8976 [8977] 8978 8979 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13165076 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134640 on: June 08, 2018, 02:54:45 am »

That would make sense, given the six-month period after I got my current number during which random people would call to ask in broken Spanish if I could do yard work for them.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134641 on: June 08, 2018, 03:32:00 am »

I admit, it was quite a treat listening to the agents in the next room (I mostly did bulk form production; things like mass produced boilerplate forms with names inserted, etc. I did not deal with debtors directly. I occasionally did file maintenance, once it was determined that I knew how to evaluate data sources and condense them, then append to the debtor's file in a reliably consistent manner.), as they would have literally *EVERYTHING* the agency had on that debtor, their debts, their recent credit card purchase history (via the credit reporting infrastructure), and a host of other information RIGHT THERE at their, IN THEIR HANDS. Sorted by date, address, relevance, and a host of other factors.

I expect it would be a bit like trying to argue with an officer of a secret police. :P  Tried and true staples like "I can't afford that right now!" would be met with "Really? So, that 2000$ laptop you bought last week on [insert date, time, store] using your VISA card is somehow more affordable than the 300$ debt you owe the phone company? DO explain." on a pretty regular basis.

To be fair, the people that had just a single outstanding debt were usually mortified when it went to collections, and would bend over backwards to either find out how the debt occurred, or to remedy the debt quickly and efficiently. The agency I interned at would always treat them with courtesy and good candor, and would work with them through all stages of that process, even if it resulted in a non-payment to the agency.  No, it was the "repeat offenders" with files that were literally several inches thick of hard copy, with numerous debts--- those were the great ones to hear getting a successful contact on. :P

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134642 on: June 08, 2018, 06:42:08 am »

Wierd I am disappointed in you for not using dirty dan

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134643 on: June 08, 2018, 06:43:32 am »

Delinquent Dan is often very dirty, so it would be redundant.

(ignores spongebob reference)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134644 on: June 08, 2018, 08:10:17 am »

I'm a Dapper Dan man, dammit!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #134645 on: June 08, 2018, 08:39:12 am »

The correct way to identify a crystal is by first trying to engrave Elbereth with it, then later rubbing it with a touchstone.
I hate it when kids just use their swords for that. Don't they know they need their swords sharp for school?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134646 on: June 08, 2018, 08:52:08 am »

The correct way to identify a crystal is by first trying to engrave Elbereth with it, then later rubbing it with a touchstone.
I hate it when kids just use their swords for that. Don't they know they need their swords sharp for school?

That's why you gotta ask for a Magicbane for Christmas, to engrave Elbereth and have protection from curses.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #134647 on: June 08, 2018, 09:39:08 am »

I found a strange clock at a train station. Its second hand moves faster than that of my wrist watch, but it stops for a moment at the top so it evens out the minute.

You'd think a train station would have an accurate clock, unless it in fact is accurate and the reason the trains are always late is this weird time dilation.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134648 on: June 08, 2018, 09:55:15 am »

That is accurate.  Every single minute is accurately displayed.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134649 on: June 08, 2018, 09:55:39 am »

Likely explanation: it's a heritage clock, but they gutted it and put a digital mechanism in there since it's easier to maintain.

However, installing a proper feedback mechanism that would keep the second-hand turning perfectly would be more complicated than just putting in a motor that drives it around slightly-too-fast until it's stopped at the top, then a digital timer releases it again at the next minute tick. Maybe the other hands have better speed controls (if the needed mechanisms were bulky then they might have used up the available space), or maybe they just hand-adjust those every day. The second hand falling out of sync is the only thing you couldn't really adjust for daily.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:03:00 am by Reelya »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134650 on: June 08, 2018, 10:56:05 am »

Damn you, Bill Gates.
Router's LAN connection does not work, but WLAN and outside does. I need to send .doc files by mail, so I tried to copy them to my tablet, from which I would send them.

Except Win XP threw an error. Rough translation: "The file being copied is not supported on target device. If it is a multimedial file, it may be possible to convert it before the operation."

Options: "Skip", "Skip All", "Cancel".

No "Proceed Anyway". Worst of all, this tablet actually can read those files. I have Open Office installed.

EDIT: Soulved the problem. By temporarily renaming the files to *.mp3 So windows outright stop you from copying nonmusical files to MTP devices (What they think this tablet is), but do not check whether the musical files are valid.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:31:33 am by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134651 on: June 08, 2018, 12:07:30 pm »

When XP was a thing, the only things to connect to by mtp were digital cameras and fuck all else. XP got that functionality through Media Player 10 in 2004.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:16:01 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #134652 on: June 08, 2018, 12:13:31 pm »

Never had problems on vista, either, personally. It'd specifically be XP, I guess. Maybe a specific update/service pack, even?

... what would be vaguely hilarious is if it was because they were .doc instead of .docx, heh. Probably just 'cause it's non-media (still vaguely odd, as I don't remember my last XP machine having trouble putting non-music files on my mp3 player, but eh), but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134653 on: June 08, 2018, 12:14:53 pm »

There's just so much WTF about this (definitely NSFW, unless you're a miner or some such manly profession in Poland - but then again, how come you have internet access in your workplace?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwizfuoGizs&has_verified=1
Description for would-be clickers: a FIFA world cup-related Polish disco song with lyrics mostly repeatedly describing the colours of the Polish flag, and an extremely sexualized video. Like, I'm pretty sure I can see her labia sticking out from her undies.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:22:47 pm by Il Palazzo »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134654 on: June 08, 2018, 12:21:23 pm »

Never had problems on vista, either, personally. It'd specifically be XP, I guess. Maybe a specific update/service pack, even?

The issue was that mtp only got adapted as a general mass-storage thing in 2008. It was integrated as a core feature in Vista onwards, so you'd get the new version by service packs and Windows update.

Previously, e.g. XP, it was actually a feature of Windows Media Player which started out as a thing called ptp - picture transfer protocol and was only for reading images out of digital cameras. So the purposes of the original mtp was purely a feature of the Windows Media Player program to sync media files to portable players. It copies over files that it made sense to in the 2004 world of dedicated media players. (back then if they didn't want you to copy over general files the device would use mtp. Otherwise it would just use USB).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:34:28 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 8975 8976 [8977] 8978 8979 ... 10983