Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8978 8979 [8980] 8981 8982 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995691 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #134685 on: June 09, 2018, 02:32:29 pm »

Just woke up to a big thunderstorm. (yes I wake up at 3pm and go to bed at 5am, I work night shift)  Thunder every couple of seconds, dog flipping her shit and winds pushing around outside furniture.  Go into the side room to check the weather since it's an all concrete room, with a small tv, until I learn if there is a tornado warning or not.

Sit in there for 15 minutes waiting for the weather report, and never get it.  Storm lets up and I go back to my room and use the internet to see it was just a unusually strong and active little isolated Florida thunderstorm. 

WTF cable news, this is why no-one watches you anymore, you have the power to know exactly where I am, and compare it to the weather report to say 'hey they might want to know what's going on with that minor apocalypse happening outside right now'.  No instead they give me news stories about a caught gator that was chilling out in some lake somewhere, and more Trump is god propaganda.  Use some of that locally targeted information you brag about so much to advertisers to maybe target need to know information on the news.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:35:07 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134686 on: June 09, 2018, 02:59:10 pm »

They are, in fact, not cheese puff scented.
Man, you got the wrong wipes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #134687 on: June 09, 2018, 03:07:01 pm »

Did some cleaning with disinfectant wipes. Fingers now smell like stale cheese puffs.

I don't understand.
I had a similar situation. recently, my fingers were smelling like... I don't remember now, it was a few days ago. Garlic? Onion? I was cleaning the floor of the bathroom, so the scent I was expecting was "Cat piss" and "human piss", but the scent was completely different.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134688 on: June 09, 2018, 03:25:24 pm »

Maybe its your upper lip
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134689 on: June 09, 2018, 03:53:58 pm »

Supervisor was giving me crap about how I did not appreciate being trapped behind piles of junk. I am curious if she's trying to get a lawsuit, because that is how you get a lawsuit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #134690 on: June 09, 2018, 04:25:25 pm »

When you consume little buggers they join your microbiome and MAKE YOU STRONGER. It's like the fulton in MGSV. Just gotta hoover up as many bugs as possible to level up your body.

The human body is like a germaphilic katamari ball.

Under that logic my 2-year old is basically a voltron of unclean power.
I mean, exposing kids to dirt/germs is important for long term health.
I know what headlines you have read, and it's not that simple.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134691 on: June 09, 2018, 05:27:13 pm »

When you consume little buggers they join your microbiome and MAKE YOU STRONGER. It's like the fulton in MGSV. Just gotta hoover up as many bugs as possible to level up your body.

Okay, if it's not that simple, then enlighten us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #134692 on: June 09, 2018, 06:15:50 pm »

Okay, if it's not that simple, then enlighten us.
Ok. That some studies have shown that some pathologies' incidence is positively correlated with more hygiene/less parasites means just that. It doesn't by default mean that we need less hygiene, or the contrary, for that matter, or even hazard a guess for the involved processes.   AKA, jumping from said headlines to "we need to get dirtier/ridden with parasites" is a hasty, uninformed conclusion.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134693 on: June 09, 2018, 06:20:55 pm »

It's all a matter of balance, don't wrap kids in cotton wool and use regular soap instead of chemical crap and don't go made disinfecting things or use anti-bacterial version of all products. It's overkill, and that's the harmful part. Take normal precautions. For example, snails can have toxic brain parasites, so don't let babies near snails, which they're dumb enough to eat.

A couple of important results for parents to know are the recent advice on peanuts (giving a few crushed peanuts a week in child's food from 4-6 months of age reduces peanut allergies later by 86%) and the evidence that bugs they pick up from other kids are very important to the immune system. Daycare in the first 2 years of life has been linked to a 30% reduction of acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

So at least some of those germs kids share help to prime the immune system to deal with cancer better. Even better, this is good evidence we'd be able to make a leukemia vaccine in the future (once we work out exactly which germs are helping with this), the same way we do for cervical cancer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:27:21 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #134694 on: June 09, 2018, 06:44:18 pm »

It's all a matter of balance, don't wrap kids in cotton wool and use regular soap instead of chemical crap and don't go made disinfecting things or use anti-bacterial version of all products. It's overkill, and that's the harmful part. Take normal precautions. For example, snails can have toxic brain parasites, so don't let babies near snails, which they're dumb enough to eat.

The problem is that it's not clear at all which hygiene related interventions, if any, are the ones that have to be promoted. Promoting the wrong ones might not help with the "excess hygiene" pathologies, and increase the incidence of other ones instead. And the whole thing is misunderstood by the population as a whole

I found this to be an interesting review
https://www.ifh-homehygiene.org/best-practice-review/hygiene-hypothesis-and-its-implications-home-hygiene-lifestyle-and-public-0

"Thus the major conclusion is that hygiene, in the sense of decontaminating or disinfecting in the
times and places where it matters to prevent infectious disease, is still very much needed. It
seems likely that many aspects of our modern civilisation are contributing to the rise in allergies
and CIDs, including several that cannot be safely changed, such as clean water, sanitation, less
contaminated food and urbanised living. The term ‘hygiene hypothesis’ is too entrenched to
expect it to be changed in the near future. We have shown that there is no evidence that domestic
cleanliness has gone too far and, in particular, that it is vital to continue to promote efficient
hygiene practice. "

the evidence that bugs they pick up from other kids are very important to the immune system. Daycare in the first 2 years of life has been linked to a  30% reduction of acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
Yes, I had heard about this one. It's interesting, but  bear in mind the authors themselves avoids jumping to conclusions
Even better, this is good evidence we'd be able to make a leukemia vaccine in the future (once we work out exactly which germs are helping with this), the same way we do for cervical cancer.
I think this is hasty... The situation with HPV and cervical cancer is different: you have a direct causal mechanism. Here you don't know the exact cause for the phenomenom. It may or may not be linked to a particular germ or germs, and a vaccine might or might not sort out the issue.

Also: Unrelated to either of the above but...you can totally do therapeutic vaccines against a spectrum of tumors nowadays, too, but that's a different thing altogether :p
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:53:24 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #134695 on: June 09, 2018, 06:59:14 pm »

Behold the final nail into the RTS titan that was the C&C franchise :I

The dislike count outnumbering the like count by 16 times at this point is kinda funny tho.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134696 on: June 09, 2018, 07:02:54 pm »

Behold the final nail into the RTS titan that was the C&C franchise :I

The dislike count outnumbering the like count by 16 times at this point is kinda funny tho.

I'm not seeing what the big deal is? Then again, I'm not a C&C fan so it's probably not obvious to me.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #134697 on: June 09, 2018, 07:11:48 pm »

I wish that we couldn't just assume that any given mobile game is going to be complete trash. An entire platform deserves better than that.
But this is the world we live in. Oh well.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134698 on: June 09, 2018, 07:29:20 pm »

The rub is that it's not really in the same genre. Ignore the trailer, that's pure lies, not just in the graphics but in the scale.

C&C Rivals is a tiny game where you and the other player have a base building at opposite ends of the screen (single screen, no scrolling, big fat buildigs), and you have mini-matches to get troops out and destroy them. A typical match would probably be done in a couple of minutes. The entire map is smaller than most people's single bases in a typical RTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcp91TiOXdM

This match takes exactly 3 minutes. So if you want a game that's a tiny 1-screen "RTS" with no base-building at all, no fog of war, and is all about zerg-rushing to capture strategic points, then go for it.

EDIT: Also, remember that they haven't realased an actual C&C game since 2010, and it's not a surprise that people are offended that the C&C name is attached to this. It's just a plain cash-grab based on brand recognition, for a franchise in which they haven't provided the fans with any actual mainline game in almost a decade.

It would be like if Toady made DF for mobile, you got excited, then found out that it's only one z-level of 40x25 tiles.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:40:14 pm by Reelya »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134699 on: June 09, 2018, 07:37:56 pm »

That still looks like more gameplay than most mobile games, honestly.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 8978 8979 [8980] 8981 8982 ... 10973