Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9033 9034 [9035] 9036 9037 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13136887 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #135510 on: July 12, 2018, 09:29:59 am »

I slept in my contacts last night. Dunno how I forgot to take them out.

It was so you could see in your dreams.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135511 on: July 12, 2018, 09:39:17 am »

It was so we could see your dreams.

Very interesting, btw.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #135512 on: July 12, 2018, 09:42:11 am »

Well I was drunk so...

It was so we could see your dreams.

Very interesting, btw.

Wierdly enough, my vision is perfect in my dreams, or I'm utterly blind.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #135513 on: July 12, 2018, 09:57:33 am »

"Microsoft" called me again. Third time in a week. This dude actually tried to argue that he wasn't a scam. Normally I'd mess with them a bit, but I'm feeling a bit under the weather and am grumpy.

Secondary WTF: How I managed to post this in the Ameripol thread instead of here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #135514 on: July 12, 2018, 10:16:28 am »

Umm... those are fruit though - they are the seed-containing portion of the plant.

That's not the definition of fruit, that's the way They misappropriated it :P

I suppose arguing about that is like arguing about if Pluto is a planet, dwarf planet, dog, or deity of the underworld.  (In other words, perfect for internet forums!)

;)

Can't tell whether or not the fact that the link redirects to "about:blank" in most browsers is an intentional statement about the usefulness of arguing about those topics.

I'd like to pretend it was, but it was really just me using the link button instead of the quote button by mistake and not noticing
Love, scriver~

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #135515 on: July 12, 2018, 10:18:26 am »

Pluto is a planet and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.
I've got your back.

*clears throat*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Die, bastard.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #135516 on: July 12, 2018, 10:25:24 am »

Pluto is smaller than the Moon. The Moon is not a planet. Thus, Pluto cannot be a planet. Checkmate atheists.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #135517 on: July 12, 2018, 10:26:52 am »

That's not to mention Eris and other trans-neptunian objects. They are larger than Pluto.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #135518 on: July 12, 2018, 10:30:08 am »

The moon is a satellite of a planet though, so it doesn’t count. /total knowledge of astronomy and astrophysics and that
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135519 on: July 12, 2018, 10:37:24 am »

Yeah, it's not about size, its about whether something is a planet. And Pluto is a planet.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135520 on: July 12, 2018, 10:38:23 am »

Yeah, it's not about size, its about whether something is a planet. And Pluto is a planet.
Does that mean the other objects past Pluto like Sedna and Eris are planets?
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135521 on: July 12, 2018, 10:49:05 am »

IAU definition says that a planet must orbit a star, have a round shape, and clear the path of its orbit.

Meaning, that in the IAU's standard of planet, and thus the standard of planet conventionally used in the academic community, Pluto, Eris, etc. are not planets.

People may have their own definitions of planet, and they're free to have them, but if they use those definitions in an academic environment, they'd most likely just cause confusion and arguments.

There is really very little point in it anyway -- we're not going to treat Pluto or the study of Pluto any differently depending on whether it's a planet. The IAU decision was really only to create some consistency, and because it would make much more sense to classify the hundreds of planets which are much more similar to each other than to the 8 traditional planets as a different group.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135522 on: July 12, 2018, 10:54:11 am »

Of course not, why would it?

IAU definition says that a planet must orbit a star, have a round shape, and clear the path of its orbit.

And who came up with that definition? Scientists. You know, the same kind of people who defined fruit in a way that included tomatoes.

Clearly these are not the kind of people we should entrust with coming up with definitions.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135523 on: July 12, 2018, 11:08:15 am »

It's treason then.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135524 on: July 12, 2018, 11:11:15 am »

Sedna and Eris are larger than Pluto, and in the same general area as Pluto. There are hundreds of objects like them. There is no reason why they should not be planets and Pluto should.

And who came up with that definition? Scientists. You know, the same kind of people who defined fruit in a way that included tomatoes.

Clearly these are not the kind of people we should entrust with coming up with definitions.

And who else should make the definitions? Scientists are the only ones actively involved in making definitions because they are the only people to whom definitions actually matter, since accurate science requires accurate classification and accurate classification requires unambiguous definitions. People can have as many pet definitions as they want, but that doesn't mean that everyone will understand or accept them. Look at this xkcd for further enlightenment.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:15:13 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 9033 9034 [9035] 9036 9037 ... 10980