Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9061 9062 [9063] 9064 9065 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13005803 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #135930 on: July 24, 2018, 08:38:59 pm »

Last night I learned that flies can be killed by very slowly raising a suitably large and heavy object very close to them, and then crushing them. My mind boggles at this: I understand the underlying theory (flies are stupid), but it's so strange to move a large object near a fly and see it not react at all, right up  until the moment it dies.

Other wtf: our kitchen has at least 7 flies at this point in time. I am not amused. Flies must die. Spiders are to be given an amnesty for the duration of the fly crisis.

(Also my spacebar has started skipping as I wrote this, despite this being a new computer, and holy shit is it irritating.)

While flies are stupid, that's not stupidity. Flies have carefully honed senses, but they have limited apparatus for that. Large, slow moving things are classified as scenery to be navigated around, not threats. It's just out of their perception of scale that a large and slow moving thing is an entity that's coming to get them. To a fly, you're not distinguishable from a wall or a tree.

Also it would be a waste of resources for flies to be optimized to avoid attacks like that: it's very rare for flies to die because of a human slowly raising a large object then smashing it down quickly. It makes up such a low % of fly-deaths that any individual fly giving the possibility any thought, and actively looking to see if it's happening wouldn't be a viable use of brain resources.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:44:42 pm by Reelya »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135931 on: July 24, 2018, 09:29:33 pm »

Don't worry BlackFleeme, i got your back.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things-i-learned-from-worst-online-dating-profile-ever/

That's crazy, but not entirely unexpected.

I just put off making an account. Now my mom's calling me a liar for not doing it. Saying she's not forcing me to make an account, but I have to do it soon.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:31:36 pm by BlackFlyme »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135932 on: July 24, 2018, 10:43:10 pm »

Maybe I'm missing an important piece of context, but what's wrong with just putting in an honest effort? As long as you aren't gay/asexual then why can't you at least try in order to see what would happen? It's not like failure is going to really matter to you, and you might at least meet some interesting people. As someone who's recently discovered a hobby that allows me to finally be in contact with real people on a regular basis, you're missing out on a lot of potential benefits.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:48:09 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135933 on: July 24, 2018, 11:26:44 pm »

Also, BlackFlyme, why shouldn't you put video game designer on your profile? If that's what you currently do, and you enjoy it, I would have that as part of it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #135934 on: July 24, 2018, 11:30:53 pm »

Or just lie that you have set it up.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135935 on: July 25, 2018, 02:14:27 am »

I wouldn't bother.  Men get zero non-prostitute hits on those things, while women get so many fuckboys sending them dickpics that they straight up ignore any actual human beings sending them messages. Complete waste of time. Try going out to the pub, meeting new people or taking up a hobby that brings you into the path of students. Man, students are the easiest way to get laid - wish I was still young enough to take advantage of that.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #135936 on: July 25, 2018, 03:12:24 am »

I wouldn't bother.  Men get zero non-prostitute hits on those things, while women get so many fuckboys sending them dickpics that they straight up ignore any actual human beings sending them messages. Complete waste of time. Try going out to the pub, meeting new people or taking up a hobby that brings you into the path of students. Man, students are the easiest way to get laid - wish I was still young enough to take advantage of that.

Pretty much this. Online dating is a soul-crushing experience and, if you give it any weight, will destroy whatever self-image you have.

Honestly, he's in the best position to actually get away with trying net dating, in that he doesn't care and doesn't want to do it. That's probably the healthiest mindset to get into it without being torn apart by it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135937 on: July 25, 2018, 03:16:10 am »

There are people who've made a career out of managing online dating profiles for multiple people. e.g. they do the legwork, deal with the rejections and only pass on connections they've made.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #135938 on: July 25, 2018, 03:20:42 am »

How I have interpreted his post is that he's gay/asexual and is being forced by his mom to do it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135939 on: July 25, 2018, 03:22:48 am »

I interpreted it that he'd rather not bother because online dating sucks and his mum's forcing him to do it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #135940 on: July 25, 2018, 03:45:54 am »

I'd rather be anally probed by aliens than fill out dating profiles.

The former is much less invasive.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135941 on: July 25, 2018, 07:02:42 am »

Maybe I'm missing an important piece of context, but what's wrong with just putting in an honest effort?

There's no chance of my mom liking anyone I meet online, and isn't afraid to tell them off if it would mean they leave me. As I mentioned earlier, this is a thing she's done before. Given she hates what I'm interested in, I would have to be with someone who does not share any of my interests to avoid my mom chasing her away.

She apparently swore at the last girl I was seeing because the girl liked anime, and going to conventions to cosplay. My mom didn't want me with someone who liked that stuff. This was last year, and I only found out why the girl refuses to talk to me when my mom told me about this a few weeks ago.

Edit: I removed the racial slur. It wasn't okay for my mom to say it, so I won't say it either.

Also, BlackFlyme, why shouldn't you put video game designer on your profile? If that's what you currently do, and you enjoy it, I would have that as part of it.

My mom is incredibly embarrassed by me going to school for animation and modelling. She says she can't tell anyone what I do, and I'm not allowed to tell others what I do. I wasted too much time and money trying to please her by going for engineering, accounting, and other stuff I did not enjoy. I just want to do something I'm interested in.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:35:00 am by BlackFlyme »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #135942 on: July 25, 2018, 07:15:34 am »

Tbh it sounds like your mom is the major problem here. As in, a widely abusive and personally invasive problem. I don't really know you, but it sounds like you are resigned to this problem as well. This is not good.

You need to dial waaay back on your amount of interaction with her. Definitely don't let her meet anyone you are dating, at least not until you are solidly in a relationship with them and her terribleness won't reflect directly on you.

That's what I do with my parents. I love them, but they are pretty toxic and racist if I'm being honest. I call then maybe once or twice a month now, and actually see them about three times a year. My life has drastically improved by doing this.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #135943 on: July 25, 2018, 08:22:52 am »

I live on the other side of the planet from my parents and communicate with them on a very rare basis (although really, this has as much to do with my generally uninspired social abilities as anything else).

They're nice people, they just kill me.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #135944 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:09 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:03:43 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 9061 9062 [9063] 9064 9065 ... 10974